Speculation: Who will Management target as the next Head Coach?

Who will be Head Coach?

• Barry Trotz

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Mike Sulivan

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Andrew Brunette

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Jeremy Colliton

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Rickard Gronberg

Votes: 12 17.6%

• Total voters

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
All they needed to do was name an interim head coach, like Brad Shaw, or literally any of the assistant coaches while they sorted out the General Manager role.

The entire "process" around Benning's firing and the timing of the hires was a complete **** show and screams that FAQ got completely caught with his pants around his ankles and started lashing out with awful band aid ideas. Like this is the kind of stuff you see in horribly run companies all the time, and it leads to high turnover once everyone loses faith that there is a plan in place to meaningfully fix things.

Oh, absolutely. They even basically admitted they got caught with their pants down when jerseys went on the ice and Smyl got angry.

It's doubly frustrating when it's a lesson that even the casual fan learned with Keenan-Burke - a new GM should be able to bring in the staff they want including their preferred head coach to execute what they want to do.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Oh, absolutely. They even basically admitted they got caught with their pants down when jerseys went on the ice and Smyl got angry.

It's doubly frustrating when it's a lesson that even the casual fan learned with Keenan-Burke - a new GM should be able to bring in the staff they want including their preferred head coach to execute what they want to do.

We're just in a weird purgatory until Boudreau is gone. Would expect an interim head coach if they do something in season to not pay 3 premium prices for head coaches and just guide the team to a bottom-10 finish.

Reactions: MS

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
1) he’s too old for a team that is looking a couple years down the road.

2) he’s notoriously poor at player development on a team that needs player development.

3) he doesn’t appear able to impart a system on a team sorely needing it after years of Travis Green.

4) he isn’t managements guy and his vision clearly doesn’t align with management.

Thanks and that's fair.

I actually think Boudreau is the right coach for this team. After years of Willie and Green we needed a veteran coach whose track record (in the regular season) is indisputable. We needed a coach who knew what they were doing so we could better evaluate the pieces. The Canucks may be looking a couple of years down the road but they certainly had their eye on making the playoffs this year. Of course not everything is perfect. I don't think Boudreau is notoriously poor at player development. He doesn't seem to come with a system though. Mike Yeo is suppose to be good at coaching the D and PK. That was the reputation that preceded him anyways.

Boudreau has coached teams to a post December surge before so there's me hoping.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006

Two names are Vellucci and Tocchet, who suprisingly, were both assistants in Pittsburgh at one point.

• Haha
Reactions: Dala

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Found a quote of Velluci from Rutherford on an article in June when Chicago was looking for a head coach

Here’s more from Rutherford in that piece at The Athletic:

“He’s won championships in the Ontario League and in the American League. He’s coached so many good forwards when they were younger. Tyler Seguin. James Neal. J.T. Miller. Those guys all keep in touch with him to this day, and that tells you something about the person.”

This is 100% new management's guy.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Yeo isn't the guy either, he's BB's pick. Even when Allvin was interviewed about Yeo, he was disassociating himself from Yeo immediately and said they brought him in to support Bruce.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Found a quote of Velluci from Rutherford on an article in June when Chicago was looking for a head coach

Here’s more from Rutherford in that piece at The Athletic:

This is 100% new management's guy.
I think they've always wanted Vellucci too, but Aqua had already anointed Bruce as The Guy after the whole Bruce There It Is thing.

But looking at how management has operated and publicly dragged Bruce...would any highly regarded coach really want to coach here? Especially with a garbage roster. Vellucci could probably wait for a better spot.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Vellucci is interesting.

Tocchet would be a nightmare, when guys like Clayton Keller take off after you get fired then you know there's something wrong there. The only positive I could think about is that he's so bad that players would want out and we'd finally get major roster turnover.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Yeo isn't the guy either, he's BB's pick. Even when Allvin was interviewed about Yeo, he was disassociating himself from Yeo immediately and said they brought him in to support Bruce.
If BB is fired...I would very surprised if Yeo didnt get the the interim coaching job , till the end of the season...The management will then do a thorough search interviewing candidates after the season.

Yeo has coached 250 NHL games with a winning record.

Dhaliwal said straight up, if Bruce goes..there will be someone within the organization taking over..short term.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The best thing to do would be to fire Boudreau, interm Yeo, clear out the rest of the coaching staff, then pick and build a coaching staff in the offseason. There's no reason to airdrop in another half-measure.

Reactions: racerjoe

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
I think they've always wanted Vellucci too, but Aqua had already anointed Bruce as The Guy after the whole Bruce There It Is thing.

But looking at how management has operated and publicly dragged Bruce...would any highly regarded coach really want to coach here? Especially with a garbage roster. Vellucci could probably wait for a better spot.

This type of quote is nonsense, there are only 32 jobs like this in the world, Vancouver is a highly desirable city and level headed people in the game can actually see the roster has some great pieces that are still young.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This type of quote is nonsense, there are only 32 jobs like this in the world, Vancouver is a highly desirable city and level headed people in the game can actually see the roster has some great pieces that are still young.
The organization is a disaster. Chaotic at best.

Velucci is highly regarded. He might not want to blow up his reputation and not be able to get another top job like Travis Green by trying to deal with this team.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Then there's the actual org under whom said coach will be working for, which is an absolute clown show...

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The organization is a disaster. Chaotic at best.

Velucci is highly regarded. He might not want to blow up his reputation and not be able to get another top job like Travis Green by trying to deal with this team.
Generally, new coaches are hired to take over the previous coaches tire fire..I think you're projecting your own feelings about the team.

Reactions: RutherPlan

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Rutherford who has won about everything he can in this league and can retire extremely comfortable isn't a type to be peddling for a job. Now if he abruptly leaves or quits, then there will be something seriously wrong.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
By Wednesday, most likely.

But I’ve been saying that Yeo is the guy since the off-season.

I don't understand why Bruce actually wanted Yeo... Yeo is like the prototypical interim coach, Bruce is like asking for his own firing lol.

As for the actual team, I would be shocked if Yeo would provide any positive changes. He'd be just as much as a lame duck as Bruce right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad