Speculation: Who will Management target as the next Head Coach?

Who will be Head Coach?

• Barry Trotz

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Mike Sulivan

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Andrew Brunette

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Jeremy Colliton

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Rickard Gronberg

Votes: 12 17.6%

• Total voters

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
let's put our bets in here, I'll add a poll later with names of Head Coaches people think of so everyone can vote who the most likely target is. I'll start us off:

Who: Barry Trotz
Why: JR is talking about structure and how even a team with poor defense can look good if the structure is there. Trotz brought this structure to the Caps (won the cup) and to NYI (ECF twice). Trotz is currently on hiatus dealing with personal life issues but has expressed that he plans to come back. I think BB stays HC until Trotz is ready to return and we back the truck up for him.

Last edited:

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
probably jeremy colliton but if they fire boudreau mid season yeo probably gets the interim tag until the summer

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
if Bruce is fired mid-season then I think Yeo will be given the interm tag. He’s pretty much a professional interm coach anyway.

Then going into the off-season there’s three likely candidates.

Andrew Brunette: Dhaliwal reported the Canucks tried to get him on staff. Currently serving as an assistant with the Devils. Doesn’t actually have much head coaching experience but seamlessly took over for Quennville.

Jeremy Colliton: Abbotsford’s head coach. Has a connection to Allvin through their Swedish team. His hiring was, apparently, heavily influenced by Allvin. Young guy with head coaching experience. Got blamed for Blackhawks struggles last year only for the team to immediately pivot to a rebuild.

Rickard Gronberg: Long-time and extremely successful Swedish head coach. Been coaching in Switzerland for the last three seasons. Is actually the oldest of these three. Rumours, in the summer, that if the Canucks didn’t pick up Boudreau’s option then Gronberg was a guy they wanted to talk to.

Reactions: Lindgren

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Mike Yeo is the perfect tank commander for this team if Boudreau is indeed fired mid season . He did wonders for the Flyers last season losing 13 games in a row that forced owner Dave Scott to come out of hiding to address the fans

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
if Bruce is fired mid-season then I think Yeo will be given the interm tag. He’s pretty much a professional interm coach anyway.

Then going into the off-season there’s three likely candidates.

Andrew Brunette: Dhaliwal reported the Canucks tried to get him on staff. Currently serving as an assistant with the Devils. Doesn’t actually have much head coaching experience but seamlessly took over for Quennville.

Jeremy Colliton: Abbotsford’s head coach. Has a connection to Allvin through their Swedish team. His hiring was, apparently, heavily influenced by Allvin. Young guy with head coaching experience. Got blamed for Blackhawks struggles last year only for the team to immediately pivot to a rebuild.

Rickard Gronberg: Long-time and extremely successful Swedish head coach. Been coaching in Switzerland for the last three seasons. Is actually the oldest of these three. Rumours, in the summer, that if the Canucks didn’t pick up Boudreau’s option then Gronberg was a guy they wanted to talk to.
Couldn't management have walked from Bruce in the offseason? I thought the option was both parties needing to agree on him staying. If so, they could have had any of the 3 mentioned during the offseason easily. This is why I think Trotz is the target. He isn't a rookie to the NHL and brings the structure JR talks about.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Couldn't management have walked from Bruce in the offseason? I thought the option was both parties needing to agree on him staying. If so, they could have had any of the 3 mentioned during the offseason easily. This is why I think Trotz is the target. He isn't a rookie to the NHL and brings the structure JR talks about.
not without paying him anyway sooo

Reactions: Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

I don't know the specifics of the contract details so I don’t know if there were underlying factors into why they exercised their side of the option (ex: ownership, fan pressure, financial reasons).

I don’t think Trotz is someone that makes sense for this club nor do I think he has any interest. He’s openly talked about wanting to be part of an original six team, wants to coach in the East, and there are rumours he’d like to transition into a management position.

He’s a great coach but given his age, and rumoured interest in becoming management, Trotz isn’t a long term solution as a coach. If you’re planning a transition to Colliton afterwards then that could work but otherwise they’ll just be in the exact same position again.

Reactions: MarkMM

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
I don't know the specifics of the contract details so I don’t know if there were underlying factors into why they exercised their side of the option (ex: ownership, fan pressure, financial reasons).

I don’t think Trotz is someone that makes sense for this club nor do I think he has any interest. He’s openly talked about wanting to be part of an original six team, wants to coach in the East, and there are rumours he’d like to transition into a management position.

He’s a great coach but given his age, and rumoured interest in becoming management, Trotz isn’t a long term solution as a coach. If you’re planning a transition to Colliton afterwards then that could work but otherwise they’ll just be in the exact same position again.
Trotz with Colliton as assistant and transition Colliton to HC and Trotz into management?

Reactions: MarkMM and Dala

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Rickard Gronberg: Long-time and extremely successful Swedish head coach.
Embrace the tank. Successful at what? Colliton though, cerebral coach with upside.

Bruce extremely better though IMHO.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
If this season goes tits up, after this road trip..They'll just go with someone already in the organization to ride out the rest of the season.

Its tough to predict next season, whether they will go with a vet coach, a retread, or a rookie...?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'd be quite surprised if they went with someone as old as Trotz.

I'd also be surprised if they went with someone as young as Colliton, even though they obviously like him.

Brunette would be my pick.

You can't sell Yeo here. That would be an incredibly underwhelming choice.

Reactions: geebaan

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Brunette and Trotz are obviously the best candidates available, even though I don't know if either would pick to coach here. Gronberg would be a cool gamble. I'd be crossing my fingers that either Keefe or Sullivan becomes available.

I think there's a decent chance they go completely off-board here with their next hire.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Brunette seems pretty interesting on the surface level but I have no idea how much credit he deserves for his record with the panthers and hie much flack he deserves for the playoffs

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Brunette seems pretty interesting on the surface level but I have no idea how much credit he deserves for his record with the panthers and hie much flack he deserves for the playoffs

I'm willing to gamble on a coach who had over 120 points and hope he can learn from his mistakes against Tampa.

Not only that, NJ has had a ridiculously good start too.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm willing to gamble on a coach who had over 120 points and hope he can learn from his mistakes against Tampa.

Not only that, NJ has had a ridiculously good start too.

Exactly. He went 51-18-0 last season and was an assistant there for the previous two seasons.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Mike Yeo is the perfect tank commander for this team if Boudreau is indeed fired mid season . He did wonders for the Flyers last season losing 13 games in a row that forced owner Dave Scott to come out of hiding to address the fans
Not a bad idea to lean in and ride Yeo to Bedard.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00