Speculation: Who will Management target as the next Head Coach?

Who will be Head Coach?

• Barry Trotz

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Mike Sulivan

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Andrew Brunette

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Jeremy Colliton

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Rickard Gronberg

Votes: 12 17.6%

• Total voters

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The improbables

1. Barry Trotz: can pick a good team. Won't come here.

2. Mike Sullivan: possible. I think the penguins stick with him, if not other teams would be his first choice

The probables

3. Andrew Brunette
4. Jeremy Colliton
5. Rickard Gronberg

Unlike Barry and Mike these guys can't afford to be picky.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Barry Trotz has already stated that coaching an original six team would intrigue him.

That tells me that he is waiting for Toronto to fire Keefe so he can get paid there.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
let's put our bets in here, I'll add a poll later with names of Head Coaches people think of so everyone can vote who the most likely target is. I'll start us off:

Who: Barry Trotz
Why: JR is talking about structure and how even a team with poor defense can look good if the structure is there. Trotz brought this structure to the Caps (won the cup) and to NYI (ECF twice). Trotz is currently on hiatus dealing with personal life issues but has expressed that he plans to come back. I think BB stays HC until Trotz is ready to return and we back the truck up for him.
I suppose it is possible that the team could offer Trotz so much money that he'd consider it, but if you were Barry Trotz and reading the news, would you sign to coach the Canucks given:

-the poor roster construction
-poor chemistry between players
-a locker room that is rumoured to be toxic and has been called a country club atmosphere by the team president
-the poor cap situation
-the poor prospect pool
-a potentially meddling owner and a team president who has proven to be willing to continually throw his coach under the bus?

It seems to me that coaches with good reputations who are likely to get other job offers some time aren't going to choose the Canucks without a huge overpayment. Vancouver is a beautiful city to live in, but right now it is a horrible place to be an NHL head coach.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Yeah, Barry Trotz is a pipe dream. There were reports he has talked about wanting to get into the management side of things plus with his recent original 6 comment I think it's clear he has a specific agenda planned out for the rest of his career.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There's no way Aquilini would be willing to pay two coaches for sitting on the sidelines....so Boudreau likely won't be joining Travis Green until at least the end of the season when his contract expires.

And when the change happens, it'll be Jeremy Colliton being elevated from Abbotsford. Canucks are too cheap to really go out and hire a 'name'. They were burned once with Torts, so it won't happen again.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There's no way Aquilini would be willing to pay two coaches for sitting on the sidelines....

He was willing to fire Torts with years left on his contract. One year of paying two coaches to sit on the sidelines isn't going to be a deal breaker.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
He was willing to fire Torts with years left on his contract. One year of paying two coaches to sit on the sidelines isn't going to be a deal breaker.
Jason Brough reported this morning that the Canucks are waiting for somebody to hire Travis Green so that they’ll be able to fire Bruce Boudreau.

• Love
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Pipe dream:

1.) Let Bruce ride out this season unless it's looking like he's doing long-term damage to the team, in which case drop him and replace him with Yeo for the rest of the year while we sell off pieces and collect assets.

2.) Offer Trotz the moon in terms of salary (long been one of my favourite coaches since he was with Nashville and got the most of what he had) AND a pathway to evolve into management. I was happy with Rutherford (still by and large giving him the benefit of the doubt) but never felt it with Allvin, so having Trotz as a replacement in waiting would be good. Hopefully he learned something from his Nashville days about their ridiculous ability to pick defencemen.

3.) See if you can poach Burrows to apprentice under Trotz.

But Trotz's comments about original six goals make this a long shot.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Couldn't management have walked from Bruce in the offseason? I thought the option was both parties needing to agree on him staying. If so, they could have had any of the 3 mentioned during the offseason easily. This is why I think Trotz is the target. He isn't a rookie to the NHL and brings the structure JR talks about.
The pressure on the new HC with the run BB led the team on would have been immense. Can you imagine the media scrutiny on management if the new HC had the same record as Bb right now?

That’s why they walked it back. But BB isn’t a great structure HC. Never was thus the limited PO success. Game changes in the PO.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
The pressure on the new HC with the run BB led the team on would have been immense. Can you imagine the media scrutiny on management if the new HC had the same record as Bb right now?

That’s why they walked it back. But BB isn’t a great structure HC. Never was thus the limited PO success. Game changes in the PO.

This is what I was saying in general before. I like BB and think he is normally good at getting his players to play for him and each other. He just needs a better X's and O's guy with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad