Who Will get hit the most by the seattles expansion?

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Quebec. Should have had a franchise instead of Seattle in my humble opinion.
Not in Bettman's NHL. As a Canucks fan I am excited as hell to finally have a geographical rival so there's that. I don't think we will ever see another Canadian based franchise while he is in charge.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Possibly but Seattle could probably get a better player. Like Fabbri if he rebounds.

Blues will likely lose someone good due to all the depth. I’m guessing a forward and they go the 4+4 route.

yeah no way they risk losing any of petro, parayko, eddy or dunn.

tarasenko, schenn, schwartz and ror would need to be protected

could see perron being taken again or fabbri if he bounces back. maybe blues catch a break for once and they take allen lol

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
Leafs protected:

Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Kadri
Tavares
Kapanen
Engvall

Rielly
Dermott
Ozhiganov

Andersen

Exempt:

Sandin
Liljegren

Notables Exposed:

Johnsson
Grundstrom
Bracco
Zaitsev

Maybe swap Johnsson or Grundstrom for Engvall, depending on who turns out best. They'll probably lose a decent young middle six type forward (Engvall, Johnsson, or Grundstrom), but nothing too harmful.

by the time the expansion draft happens, the leafs will be in serious cap problems if they attempt to build a competent defence.

to get salary under control I can see someone like Matthews being exposed.

seattle would take him and then flip him to Arizona for some pieces they need.

they then may be able to get to more balanced payroll and actually afford a defence

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
ANA: Getzlaf, Kesler, Perry
ARI: Ekman-Larsson, Hjalmarsson, Hossa (will be exempt due to health reasons),
BOS: Bergeron, Marchand
CAR: Staal
CHI: Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Toews,
COL: Johnson
CBJ: Dubinsky, Foligno
DAL: Benn, Bishop, Radulov, Seguin
DET: Nielsen
EDM: Lucic, Russell
FLA: Barkov, Huberdeau, Yandle
LA: Doughty, Kovalchuk, Phaneuf
MIN: Parise, Suter
MTL: Price, Petry
NYR: Lundqvist, Shattenkirk, Staal, Zibanejad
OTT: Ryan
PHI: Giroux
PIT: Crosby, Kessel, Letang, Malkin
SJ: Vlasic
TB: Hedman, Kucherov, Stamkos
TOR: Tavares
WPG: Wheeler

Here are current players who currently have NMC for 2020-21 - this is assuming that expansion draft will take place in the summer of 2020. I bolded ones which might be problematic. About Lundqvist not questioning his ability but he's 38 at that point - if younger challenger emerges then it can give some headache.

Of course we should assume some more NMCs coming for next summer's UFA group like Karlsson, Stone and Panarin (not saying they will go to UFA market)

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Patrick, Konecny, JVR, and Lindblom/Vorobyev

Provorov, Ghost, and Sanheim/Myers

Philly has to make a deal or they risk losing a great young player in Lindblom, Vorobyev, Myers, etc.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Leafs protected:

Exempt:

Sandin
Liljegren

Notables Exposed:

Johnsson
Grundstrom
Bracco
Zaitsev
Assuming Seattle would draft in 2020
Leafs will need to protect Liljegren. Anyone with over 2 years of pro experience, like AHL or NHL .

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
ANA: Getzlaf, Kesler, Perry
ARI: Ekman-Larsson, Hjalmarsson, Hossa (will be exempt due to health reasons),
BOS: Bergeron, Marchand
CAR: Staal
CHI: Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Toews,
COL: Johnson
CBJ: Dubinsky, Foligno
DAL: Benn, Bishop, Radulov, Seguin
DET: Nielsen
EDM: Lucic, Russell
FLA: Barkov, Huberdeau, Yandle
LA: Doughty, Kovalchuk, Phaneuf
MIN: Parise, Suter
MTL: Price, Petry
NYR: Lundqvist, Shattenkirk, Staal, Zibanejad
OTT: Ryan
PHI: Giroux
PIT: Crosby, Kessel, Letang, Malkin
SJ: Vlasic
TB: Hedman, Kucherov, Stamkos
TOR: Tavares
WPG: Wheeler

Here are current players who currently have NMC for 2020-21 - this is assuming that expansion draft will take place in the summer of 2020. I bolded ones which might be problematic. About Lundqvist not questioning his ability but he's 38 at that point - if younger challenger emerges then it can give some headache.

Of course we should assume some more NMCs coming for next summer's UFA group like Karlsson, Stone and Panarin (not saying they will go to UFA market)
Wonder how many of those bolder will do their teams a solid and waive their nmc? I think it really depends on the relationship over the next 2 years between the player and their team, which also factors in the guys heath and production. Vegas only took bad contracts if they got compensation to do so. Seattle would likely do the same.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
A lot can change between now and the end of next year but the Bruins will have to protect Bergeron and Marchand and the following would be eligible:

Krejci
Pastrnak
Backes
Kuraly
Bjork
Donato
Heinen
Debrusk
Frederic
JFK
Studnicka (probably)

D
Moore
Miller
Gryz
McAvoy
Carlo
Krug (maybe?)
Vaakanainen
Zboril
Lauzon

Who knows what players develop or get traded but Seattle will probably get a shot at a good young player.

I'd guess Bergeron, Marchand, Pasta, Debrusk, Heinen, Bjork 2 of Frederic/JFK./Studnicka (whoever turns into anything)

then Krug, McAvoy, Vaak or Carlo -- If I had to guess, Krug will be gone.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm just hoping the jackets can get Dubinsky to play long enough to attach a pick with him for Seattle to take him and he can go back home to the PNW to finish his career.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Assuming Seattle would draft in 2020
Leafs will need to protect Liljegren. Anyone with over 2 years of pro experience, like AHL or NHL .

Do they? Liljegren's contract is sliding this year unless he plays 9 games in the NHL. Or does that not matter?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
For the Jets. Doesn't look like we will lose anyone of importance really. Depending on what happens with Trouba we could potentially lose some major salary with Buff. Most people expect that Myers and Perreault will be gone before the ED.
If Buff isn't exposed Brendan Lemieux probably becomes the major target for Seattle.

Forwards Protected:

Scheifele
Wheeler
Laine
Connor
Ehlers
Lowry
Roslovic
Vesalainen, McKenzie (Exempt)

Defence Protected:
Buff/Niku
Morrissey
Trouba/Niku
Green, Stanley (Exempt)

Goalies Protected

Hellebuyck
Berdin (Exempt)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forwards Exposed:
Little (UFA 2024)
Perreault (UFA 2021)
Harkins, Spacek, Appleton (RFA 2020)
Tanev (UFA 2019)
Copp, Petan, Dano, Lemieux, Suess, Kerdiles, Griffith, Everberg, Lipon (RFA 2019)

Defence Exposed:
Poolman (UFA 2021)
Kulikov (UFA 2020)
Myers, Chiarot (UFA 2019)
Nogier, Morrow (RFA 2019)
Schilling (UFA 2019)

Goalies Exposed:
Comrie, Brossoit (RFA 2019)

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Do they? Liljegren's contract is sliding this year unless he plays 9 games in the NHL. Or does that not matter?

I don't think it matters Lilly will have 3 years of pro experience between AHL/NHL by then. Which means he has to be protected. It doesn't say anything about ELC's or sliding contracts just 3 or more years of pro experience between NHL/AHL by the summer of 2020 if it does indeed happen then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad