Who Will get hit the most by the seattles expansion?

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Montreal will probably protect:

Drouin
Domi
Gallagher
Danault
Byron
Lehkonen
Kotkaniemi if he stays up this year, if not then someone like Hudon/Scherbak

Expose Tatar/Shaw if they're still around

Defense is harder to predict. Probably protect Mete & Juulsen because they're young, so that means exposing one of Petry or Weber, depends on how good Weber is when he returns from his injury.

We'll probably lose a decent player I guess, but whoever it is will clear some cap room and a roster spot for a young player. Unfortunately it means Seattle won't take Alzner off our hands, but maybe they'll try and give Seattle a pick in return for taking his contract.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Lucic and Sekera are the only players with NMCs, and Sekera doesn’t yet have a boat anchor contract. He actually would have a good contract, if it wasn’t for 2 unfortunate injuries. And if he is that hurt and ends up on LTIR, he’s exempt anyways a la Horton. So what you’re saying is we need to move Lucic because he’s going to screw us? Well pretty much every team has a contract as bad as Lucic’s, so what’s your point? Or do you not know what Edmonton’s contract situation is like and you’re just making biased assumptions?
You’re right, I don’t know much about Edmonton’s cap situation. All i know is that it’s horribly mismanaged and you have 0 cap space. For a team that isn’t even a playoff contender, that is not good.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The fans will get hit the most. I feel the talent pool is already stretched thin and this just adds to that issue. This just opens the door to more players who probably have no business being in the league.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Carolina and Anaheim are both almost certain to lose a quality defenseman.

Ducks list of dmen was posted earlier
For the Canes, even if they protect 4 dmen (let's say Pesce, Slavin, de Haan, Hamilton) barring a trade they're still going to have Faulk, TVR, Fleury, and McKeown eligible to be selected.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Lucic and Sekera are the only players with NMCs, and Sekera doesn’t yet have a boat anchor contract. He actually would have a good contract, if it wasn’t for 2 unfortunate injuries. And if he is that hurt and ends up on LTIR, he’s exempt anyways a la Horton. So what you’re saying is we need to move Lucic because he’s going to screw us? Well pretty much every team has a contract as bad as Lucic’s, so what’s your point? Or do you not know what Edmonton’s contract situation is like and you’re just making biased assumptions?
mouz makes up things so he can criticize the Oilers in every post he makes.

The only player on the current roster who will still have a NMC for the expansion draft is Lucic. Sekera's changes to a 15-team NTC next summer.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Already confirmed to be the same. Avs fans are going to be in for a shock this time now that they have players worth protecting
It hasn't actually, but I expect it to be the same, and if not very similar. Avs fans are fully expecting to lose somebody good. Or at the least offer compensation to protect their guys.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
7.3.1 Toronto

Matthews
Tavares
Marner
Nylander
Kadri
Brown*
Hyman*
* Or whatever

Rielly
Dermot
Liljegren

Andersen

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Anaheim right off the bat.

Look at their D core.

Lindholm, Fowler, Manson, Montour. Plus they have Pettersson, Larsson, Welisnki who would be eligible.

Mahura is a 2016 pick so he would be exempt in 2020 only.

Would need Perry and Kesler to waive NMC for the draft.

Hopefully Bob Murray learned from the Vegas draft.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Islanders look to be in pretty good shape for the next expansion draft(compared to 2 years ago). The fact that Boychuk and Ladd both have NTCs instead of NMC will make it that much easier

Just looking at Islanders option now

F - Barzal, Beauvillier, Bailey
D - Leddy, Pulock

Are the only guys I can see 100% being confirmed now. In terms of other player they might want to protect Cizikas, Hickey, Pelech, Toews or Aho

Now decent chance they resign one or more of Lee, Eberle or Nelson and they will have to protect them(or somebody else) but assuming the Islanders do a 7-3-1 they should be in a good position to take advantage of some other teams trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if the Islanders go the 4-4-1 route.

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The Flames are going to lose a good player

There's a good chance we'd have to go 4 and 4. Right now, Hanifin is a lock to be protected, and there's a good chance valimaki and andersson will be on that list by 2020 as well. If gio is still a good top 4 and our captain, do we protect him? That means we stand to lose Brodie or hamonic if we re-sign them, and kylington could be something special as well. In regards to forwards, I'd assume Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, and Lindholm are locks assuming they are still play here by then, and Dube could force himself into that conversation too. Parsons would hopefully force himself as the starter of the future by then, so he could also be protected. We'd probably have to make a deal involving a really good prospect or something in order to save our asses. Personally, I would do something like this:

Dman:
Valimaki
Hanifin
Andersson

Forwards: Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Dube, Backlund, Bennett

Goalie:
Parsons

Probably offer a 2nd or whatever so they don't take giordano and instead take one of Brodie or hamonic. Still gonna sting like hell.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
there's a good chance valimaki and andersson will be on that list by 2020 as well.

I could be wrong but players playing 2 or less seasons don't need to be protected, which Valimaki would fall under. Now that being said if 2 years means you need to be protected they should send Valimaki down

Rules for 2017 Expansion Draft

All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Oilers got off easy last time, but next time it will be brutal

But looking at what happened with Vegas, I'm not that worried. At worst, we'll have to make a side deal, where we give up a great pick or prospect to bribe our way out of it. If Seattle doesn't play that game, we will simply have to trade a good player away. The second option is the worst for the Oilers, but Seattle will listen to reason. It worked well for Vegas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->