Who will be your team's whipping boy this year?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Steen.

Now that Binnington has saved Allen’s ass, I think a lot of fans are going to be ripping on Steen and his contract (and it is bad now). He’s a 4th liner at this point so he’s not going to make or break our success but we really need to find a way to get him off the books next summer.

Reactions: Bluesguru

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You know I was thinking Ritchie, but you're right. Fowler has been the whipping boy since Bieksa left (even when he was here) and unless he's a Norris candidate, he'll always be a whipping boy.
I mean don't get me wrong. He's been well off his best level of play. But even on nights that he's playing well or really well he incites fury anytime he makes a mistake. Big or microscopic. And I get it. The expectations for him were high. But I do think it's gone too far. The same fanbase that spends a ton of time shutting down trade proposals for him as "not good enough" are often the same people that excessively harp on him every game. Except maybe Ducksgo. Pretty sure he'd trade Fowler for an egg salad sandwich and a handshake.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Either Niskanen or Braun for the Flyers. Probably Braun if I had to pick one.
Oh no, I’ve got Hayes here
Should he score less than 20 goals and less than 50 points (as he has most seasons), he’ll hear it (due to his big contract and nmc).

Reactions: Ryan Pat80

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Drouin for sure, Danault for getting more minutes than Kotkaniemi, probably Chiarot too

The only place where Danault could be a whipping boy is on the Habs HF board, and that has more to do with the language he speaks than anything else. Some haters want to turn him into DD 2.0. Sadly for them, Danault is a good hockey player and he totally deserves the ice time he gets.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Not a player, but I think Paul Maurice on the hot seat.
tenor.gif

Reactions: NYR94

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Braun eventually, Hagg if he stays on the team. Maybe Elliott if he regresses or can’t stay healthy.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
Reminder that a “whipping boy” is the person who got whipped when the prince would misbehave. So it’s the player who UNFAIRLY gets blamed when the team struggles.

The Wild shipped off the three top candidates last year, so I’m gonna go with Bruce Boudreau

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Oh no, I’ve got Hayes here
Should he score less than 20 goals and less than 50 points (as he has most seasons), he’ll hear it (due to his big contract and nmc).
It always tends to be defenseman or goalies who take a beating in Philly and Braun is the exact kind of guy who the dumber portion of the fanbase gangs up on. He doesn't do anything that jumps out at you when watching him. He doesn't put up points, throw big hits, or block a ton of shots and because he typically plays tough competition with a lot of dzone starts he tends to play a lot in his own zone. I also feel like with the departure of AMac someone needs to fill the void of the villain since nobody wants to put any blame on the kids.

I feel like Hayes is going to be pretty good for at least the first few years of his contract. Maybe I'm naive but I think a big guy like him could be a bit of a late bloomer. He's averaged 54 points per 82 games over the past 3 seasons and his possession numbers are strong. All of this with a revolving door or mainly average players. If he's on a line with Voracek and JvR that's two of the best players he's played significant time with. I see him as a 20 goal 55 point center and if his two way game is above average that might not get him praise by the fans but I don't think he'll be the whipping boy.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
My eyes are closed... I'm imagining Edmonton's 19/20 line-up.
Scapegoat... scapegoat.
Oh damn, those goalies are screwed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad