Who will be your team's whipping boy this year?

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I think whichever 3rd liner Tippett falls in love with will be the name in Edmonton.

Archibald and Granlund have the inside lanes, but guys like Haas, and Gambardella could also sneak in. Benning could also take this spot if he doesn't start well and Persson, Bear and Bouchard out preform him.

The 4th line centre will also get a bit if hate, as one of Brodziak, Cave, Khaira, Haas, or Malone are going to be asked to shoulder waaayyyy too much defensive responsibly.

Kosko and Russell also wave hello, but going into the season they're at least starting in a role that isn't above them.

So like half the team you're saying lmao

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I keep hearing reference to this and no one has ever answered this question ; please explain exactly what this is and what you mean with the terms usage.

I'll try to answer that:
A "good Canadian boy" is a phenomenon on Canadian teams, we still view our players in certain stereotypical ways and the general idea of it is that a "good Canadian boy" is a team first do whatever it takes to win multi-faceted player...a good stereotypical example of one would be Ryan O'Rielley with the St Louis Blues, he can put the puck in the net or put his fist through your face...whatever is needed for the team to succeed, it also is a cover for many Canadians that don't respect Europeans and Americans when it comes to hockey, you know the guys who loudly proclaim that Euro's are soft or Americans really don't care (shout outs Don Cherry)

I may be wrong about this specific example but generally when you see those words that's what they are talking about without having to actually come out and say it

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
no kidding, if they couldn't wait for Gardiner to leave for a few key screw ups

:facepalm: trust me when I tell you that our dislike for Jake Gardiner is not shared throughout the fan base...secondly get to a game 7 a couple years in a row and have the same defenceman make boneheaded plays that cost you the series and come back and talk to me about Gardiner...

Ceci will get a pass right up to halfway through the season as he allowed us to ditch Zaitsev's boat anchor of a contract...

The most realistic one should everything go off the rails is Mitchell Marner...that could go badly extremely quickly with his contract saga

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I would be willing to bet that the Devils defense and goaltending get torn to shreds this year. I don't even think I could name one person who it would be but I think collectively as a group they will take so much shit

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I'll try to answer that:
A "good Canadian boy" is a phenomenon on Canadian teams, we still view our players in certain stereotypical ways and the general idea of it is that a "good Canadian boy" is a team first do whatever it takes to win multi-faceted player...a good stereotypical example of one would be Ryan O'Rielley with the St Louis Blues, he can put the puck in the net or put his fist through your face...whatever is needed for the team to succeed, it also is a cover for many Canadians that don't respect Europeans and Americans when it comes to hockey, you know the guys who loudly proclaim that Euro's are soft or Americans really don't care (shout outs Don Cherry)

I may be wrong about this specific example but generally when you see those words that's what they are talking about without having to actually come out and say it

The truth is closer to it being a cover for non-Canadians to show their disrespect.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Laine?

Get out of here with this stuff. Sure, I have read some hot takes on the Leafs board, but I read even more on here from "Neutral" fans about how terrible he is. It's always been the case though. I remember the Kessel and most recently Gardiner hate on here.

Man, you can check what those “neutral” fans had to say back when he played in Ottawa...I promise you they weren’t any kinder.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
If the blues successfully land the trade for mcdavid, and he doesnt live up to expectations, he’ll be our whipping boy this season

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Gotta be Jones or Kane for sharks. Jones for terrible reg season last year, and Kane for way too many penaltys and not great playoff play(with some leeway for injury)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Not for me personally, but for most Stars fans they'll be going after Gurianov I'm sure.

Janmark will be another.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
For the players probably one of Laine, Little, Wheeler, or Bucky. But PoMo will undeniably get the brunt end of the beating stick for most of the year.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Mete might start getting some heat if he doesn't start scoring a bit. I personally think he'll have a good year, but let's see...

Mete? He has overperformed consistently for the Habs. A 4th round pick who made the NHL in his D+1 at the age of 19, scoring 7pts. Who was paired with Weber in his D+2 and score 13. If he can continue with his solid overall play and get 20 assists as a 21yr old who gives a smeg that he doesn't get a goal?

We Habs fans have lucked out big time with this kid.

Danault for getting more minutes than Kotkaniemi

I think Danault getting more minutes than Jesperi is still cool for a season or two but I definitely want JK getting solid PP minutes and Danault getting none.

Still on that Price-hate train Genesis76 after all these years hunh?

No one from the Oilers. Everyone is going to play good this season.

That's just mean.

Lou Lamoriello

Really? Didn't he just drag the carcass of your org back to respectability?

I think Brad Marchand is going to take some heat from the fans this year. I know a few people that have him on their sh*t list for the bad line change in Game 7.

Ermmm... So you guys looking to trade? Not that I would want that rat-faced fink on my team or anything. But how much for that Goblin-looking SOB?

To be honest for many years Lemieux, Claude Lemieux was my favourite hockey player.

Laine for Winnipeg

Imagine how much hate he'll get if he lands a 10mil per and manages another 50pt season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad