Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Ws2u3zr.jpg

Reactions: McGees

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Assuming Ducharme isn't back (and that seems more likely than less likely), options apart from Joel Bouchard that seem to be "best" (read: HC candidates regardless of language) are Pascal Vincent and I guess Patrick Roy. Plus Andre Tourigny and Louis Robitaille for Assistant Coaches or Laval HC if Bouchard is the next Habs HC.
Joel Bouchard leading candidate i know of

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I’ve wanted to see what Bruce Boudreau would do with this team for a while. Hire a coach to talk to the media and bring in Boudreau for a year or two as an “assistant.” Let someone else take over once he’s worked stuff out.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I'd prefer Tortorella to Gallant - I think he is a better coach.

But as many have said, it's possible he doesn't want to coach in Montreal.

I hope he does - I think he'd help the team quite a bit.
Literally zero chance we'd hire Tortorella for obvious reasons. He'd also coach way, way more boring hockey than we've seen in years and we just had Julien as a coach. Non merci.

Reactions: yianik

kgboomer

Nov 12, 2014
If Bergevin stay, probably Ducharme or Bouchard. With a new GM, all bet are off.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I hope its Joel Bouchard.

But I think Therrien is up next in the recycle mill... Julien, Therrien, Vigneault. Should be best coach available, but this is Montreal... so, yeah, can't have that. ONE game in 112 years without a French Canadian player and the pathetic media thinks we should start Belzile ahead of Caufield. That says all you need to know about this stupid team.

Edit: If it's Ducharme - I won't watch a single game.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Literally zero chance we'd hire Tortorella for obvious reasons. He'd also coach way, way more boring hockey than we've seen in years and we just had Julien as a coach. Non merci.
Well Ducharme has the playoffs, so let's see how he does.

Agree to disagree in regards Tortorella - I think he'd be a great hire for Montreal if he'd come here.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I hope its Joel Bouchard.

But I think Therrien is up next in the recycle mill... Julien, Therrien, Vigneault. Should be best coach available, but this is Montreal... so, yeah, can't have that. ONE game in 112 years without a French Canadian player and the pathetic media thinks we should start Belzile ahead of Caufield. That says all you need to know about this stupid team.

Edit: If it's Ducharme - I won't watch a single game.

so whatcha gonna watch instead?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If Bergevin stay, probably Ducharme or Bouchard. With a new GM, all bet are off.

It's either going to be MB and DD back next year, or both will be gone IMO.

Its a package deal, but I think MB is in trouble. It's a red flag for the GM when they still don't have a contract at this point.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
It's either going to be MB and DD back next year, or both will be gone IMO.

Its a package deal, but I think MB is in trouble. It's a red flag for the GM when they still don't have a contract at this point.
Good. The whole org needs a complete cleanout from top to bottom. Timmins should be gone too. If they do it now, it'll be just in time to potentially get Wright/Bedard.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Good. The whole org needs a complete cleanout from top to bottom. Timmins should be gone too. If they do it now, it'll be just in time to potentially get Wright/Bedard.

Timmins has been around for a really long time, so his day may be coming sooner than later as well.

That being said, I highly doubt they will be in serious contention for any name you just mentioned, unless they start dumping a bunch of assets for nothing.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Timmins has been around for a really long time, so his day may be coming sooner than later as well.

That being said, I highly doubt they will be in serious contention for any name you just mentioned, unless they start dumping a bunch of assets for nothing.
I think they can easily be contention for those picks. They finished 18th this year and 24th last year. Danault, Tatar and Armia are UFAs that you let walk. The only assets you need to dump are Price, Byron, Kulak. We're not that far from the basement.....

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think they can easily be contention for those picks. They finished 18th this year and 24th last year. Danault, Tatar and Armia are UFAs that you let walk. The only assets you need to dump are Price, Byron, Kulak. We're not that far from the basement.....

Even if they somehow allowed all of those guys to walk, you would also be betting on guys like Suzuki, Caufield, and Romanov showing zero progression, and KK never finding his game again. It would take more stars to align than just letting every free agent walk.

They are stuck in a cycle of perpetual mediocrity where they aren't good enough to contend, but not bad enough to be lottery fodder.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Even if they somehow allowed all of those guys to walk, you would also be betting on guys like Suzuki, Caufield, and Romanov showing zero progression, and KK never finding his game again. It would take more stars to align than just letting every free agent walk.

They are stuck in a cycle of perpetual mediocrity where they aren't good enough to contend, but not bad enough to be lottery fodder.
I am well aware of the perpetual mediocrity they are stuck in. I expect the youth to make good progress but the team has a whole still has far too many holes. If we let the FAs walk and dump the aforementioned assets, I can see our situation being very similar to Ottawa this year (especially since without Price our goaltending will be very weak). Perhaps we don't win the lotto but we continue to put ourselves in a situation to draft top5/10.

I believe that's all we need: a couple years of solid drafting top 5 (assuming a new scouting department) as a rebuild. The more vets you let you the greater the probability of drafting high because although this team's youth will continue to grow, they are too inexperienced.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Or maybe being lucky in the lottery like NYR

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
It's so embarrassing to be a fan of an organization that recycles old coach's simply because they are French. Too many things take a backseat to winning in this organization.
I'd love to see Gallant. Not Torts.
Bouchard seems like young blood at least.
Patrick Roy? Well he's french.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
It's so embarrassing to be a fan of an organization that recycles old coach's simply because they are French. Too many things take a backseat to winning in this organization.
I'd love to see Gallant. Not Torts.
Bouchard seems like young blood at least.
Patrick Roy? Well he's french.
except that's not the reason, sure the language requirement is there but that's no reason to recycle coaches... I mean, other teams are not recycling coaches all the time. We kept Captain Kirk for way too long even though he never said more than merci in french.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad