Who will be the next Habs coach?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Ahhh I thought you meant for the same role he has not as GM.

But how do we know Madden will make for a good GM - what has he done other than amateur scouting? Never done pro scouting, never coached, not a capologist, never negotiated contracts etc.

For all his faults MB had pedigree in multiple roles spanning 10-years, an assistant coach w Hawks, head of amateur scouting, pro scout and assistant GM prior to being named Habs GM.

Pedigree is good but transferable skills and actionable knowledge are much better. How much of those did MB have when he took on the Habs job?

MB uttered some nice one liners in pressers but never lived up to them. He remains a dinosaur with his approach to the game based on methods from the 90s.

Last edited:

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
I would gladly take Tortorella for the playoffs. He could inspire them for a short energetic run. We need an experienced guy right now.
I think Tortorella makes a lot of sense if he would come to Montreal, but he'll likely have options.

But they'll wait until after the season to do anything.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
100 percent. Dom may be the worst coach in Habs history, but the people ripping on him aren't seeing the forest for the trees man. This GM built a poorly built team who struggle at some of the most basic things in hockey like zone entries lol.

I think it's a combination. The players don't have a lot of elite skill, and NHL coaches tend to be ex-players who picked up a bit along the way but don't have much overall view of strategy and tactics. Montreal had Julien and Therrien who both fit this mold, not a lot of thought, lots of bashing players for not doing the off the glass and out play. Lots of simple defensive play. With each coach the team started scoring at the beginning of the season, then stopped scoring. Hard to tell how much is arms race and adjustment, i.e. the other teams adjusted to the habs, habs did not adjust further, and how much is working as coached.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think Tortorella makes a lot of sense if he would come to Montreal, but he'll likely have options.

I don't see the fit at all. On that topic though, when Torts coached the canucks, he still lived in the US, and I think there were times when he just couldn't make it to the rink on time.

I think Buffalo needs a guy like him really badly.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Why not recycle Gallant..... Or is it Carbo's turn?....... I'm unsure of the order.....

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I don't see the fit at all. On that topic though, when Torts coached the canucks, he still lived in the US, and I think there were times when he just couldn't make it to the rink on time.

I don't think we need Tortorella to trash the young guys. It might work out better than some of his roles because the habs don't have any major stars for him to butt heads with but I can't see him helping Drouin at all. The team needs to loosen up and trust the system not lock down further.

Jul 6, 2016
Next coach depends a lot of:

MB stays or not:

The new GM connections:

Could be Bouchard, Boucher, Groulx, Hartley, ....... Vigneault :sarcasm: Therrien :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm: or Ducharme !!!!!

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

I agree Torts to Buffalo makes sense.

I don't think we need Tortorella to trash the young guys. It might work out better than some of his roles because the habs don't have any major stars for him to butt heads with but I can't see him helping Drouin at all. The team needs to loosen up and trust the system not lock down further.

Absolutely no chance that happen for may reason from both ways. Even Roy have more chance then him

I think Torts to the Habs makes a lot of sense. I mean he'll pretty clearly be one of if not THE most qualified candidate.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I agree Torts to Buffalo makes sense.

I think Torts to the Habs makes a lot of sense. I mean he'll pretty clearly be one of if not THE most qualified candidate.
Not that I don't think he's a good coach, but I don't think he want to coach in Canada and it could fast become a disaster here

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Not that I don't think he's a good coach, but I don't think he want to coach in Canada and it could fast become a disaster here

As I mentioned before, he chose to reside in the US when he coached in vancouver.

In not too familiar with Quebec's borders, but I don't even think he would consider it unless he can find a suitable place in Vermont or something where he can commute back and forth.... Just based on how he resided in his Vancouver time (which was a flat out disaster by the way).

Reactions: Vachon23

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
John Tortorella is entertaining as hell, but we don't need more drama in Montreal. No thanks.

Believe it or not, I can see Bergevin hiring Gerard Gallant back as head coach. Despite our GM's flaws, he's as fed up with the media as we are and might not mind pissing them off. I can see him answering the loaded questions by simply stating, "We were looking for the best guy for the job. We found him. Next question."

MolleSon

May 21, 2018
John Tortorella is entertaining as hell, but we don't need more drama in Montreal. No thanks.

Believe it or not, I can see Bergevin hiring Gerard Gallant back as head coach. Despite our GM's flaws, he's as fed up with the media as we are and might not mind pissing them off. I can see him answering the loaded questions by simply stating, "We were looking for the best guy for the job. We found him. Next question."
That's exactly how it should be.... Gallant or any other candidate. We want/need the best.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I’m really hoping if Jo Jo is called up to Habs (which I don’t want for selfish reasons, since there will be a bunch of prospects entering the system in the next 2-3 years), that Louis Robitaille is poached as the replacement.

Korie Cheverie would be a solid management pickup to monitor AHL and prospect development oversight
weird to see that Joel wasn't in the list

For Louis, personally no thanks ! I know him since he was coaching Victo (my hometown) in the Q and I don't see what is name do on that list honestly.. I do think there is way better candidate then him who I don't even put on my top 5 for coach in the Q

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020

Torts hates skill guys though. If we’re going to get a new coach we need to get a guy with a modern approach to the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad