Who will be the next Habs coach?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If Ducharme wins one playoff series do you want him back?

I dont .

You can't really answer that question until you know what the alternative is. If it's a retread like AV or something, then you might as well see what DD can do with a full training camp under his belt.

If MB is back next season, then I just don't think he will be given the green light to hire another external head coach. I mean, it could get messy to have your GM on the final year of his deal hire a coach to a 4 or 5 year term.

However, if MB is not brought back next season, then I think DD is is basically toast.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I wonder if they'd flip them...

Bouchard gets given the big club and DD gets the AHL HC role. Seems like he needs some seasoning dealing with HC duties of a professional locker room, whereas Bouchard has had 2 years in charge of men and shown the ability to both build systems and get the most out of a wide range of individual player

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I wonder if they'd flip them...

Bouchard gets given the big club and DD gets the AHL HC role. Seems like he needs some seasoning dealing with HC duties of a professional locker room, whereas Bouchard has had 2 years in charge of men and shown the ability to both build systems and get the most out of a wide range of individual player
Has an organization ever fired a coach and then he accepted a lower minor league position?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Has an organization ever fired a coach and then he accepted a lower minor league position?

Not sure.... And I doubt it would ever happen for a full time head coach...

But an interim with no previous head coaching experience? If the ego could take it it, I could see a team & coach agree to it unless there had been closed door promises about the interim tag being permanent.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Read this in a tweet from a coaching expert this morning... Couldn't agree more:

"How outsiders assess whether a head coach is any good: wins.

How head coaches assess whether their peers are any good: scenario they walked into, coaching craft on display, over-performance vs expectations, difficulty of problems navigated, continuity of performance, etc."

Context.
Matters.
Period.

Same could be said of player evaluations...

Only tweak I'd add is to add "short-sighted pros" to the "outsiders" group.

Reactions: malcb33

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
You can't really answer that question until you know what the alternative is. If it's a retread like AV or something, then you might as well see what DD can do with a full training camp under his belt.

If MB is back next season, then I just don't think he will be given the green light to hire another external head coach. I mean, it could get messy to have your GM on the final year of his deal hire a coach to a 4 or 5 year term.

However, if MB is not brought back next season, then I think DD is is basically toast.

I liked Vigneault. I'd rather have had him than Therrien or Julien. I don't think they should have fired him the first time. I remember him using 3 d against the Penguins. I don't think he could be faulted for losing to Buffalo with no goons, and really unfortunate officiating. Never seen a goalie get run into retirement while the megastar goalie at the other end draws penalties when someone plays the puck off his stick 20 feet out from his crease; period officiating where only stars got calls.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So in a world where coaches are recycled...everywhere.....why wouldn't you recycle Bob Hartley for Montreal?

Bob Hartley as head coach. And if you are afraid of losing Bouchard or are about too if a non-head coaching job...give him an assistant-coaching job with the Habs.

Hartley-Burrows-Bouchard. That bench will never sleep.

Reactions: MSLs absurd thighs

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Reactions: Miller Time

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Businesses generally limit their candidates by creating artificial hiring requirements because if they don't, they'll have so many candidates that they'll be unable to properly consider all the candidates.

And all NHL teams have artificial hiring requirements for coaches and front office roles.

The Habs bilingual requirement for head coaches isn't a major issue since even with that limitation, they have a large enough qualified pool to make choices. Especially if they ignore other artificial hiring requirements.

The issue with the Habs is the GM bilingual requirement, because they have real issues there/ Compounded by how old fashioned they are.

Their in-house analytics staff consists of their cap guy, a sports science guy and a video coach (there's a deep pool from Quebec of people who do this, they outsource this kind of work to SportlogIQ).

They have a bunch of hockey/fitness guys in charge. They clearly place more emphasis on physical tools relative to other organizations.

They can be more creative in hiring practices too. The Leafs just hired Danielle Goyette to be their director of player development. Would the Habs ever do something like that? Even though she's perfectly bilingual?

I think that outside of the coaching jobs you have to have real big biceps, so I guess it depends on what she can bench press relative to her weight class.

Jul 6, 2016
Benoit groulx or pascal Vincent

Book it !

If Roy becomes GM, Benoit Groulx would be his choice. Groulx just signed an extension at AHL level with the TB org, though.

If Habs lose Bouchard to another org, they should sign Tourigny to coach in Laval.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
My god if we lose Bouchard to another team I will be livid. I'm hoping we made Ducharme interim coach because the plan was always to bring Bouchard up for next year.

my guess is that he gets an extra star on his crest... like becoming an assistant GM or some part of player development on top of being coach of Laval...

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Ducharme will get a 3 year deal after the playoffs. Everyone was so excited when we hired him & Bouchard... now we already hate him... how long would it take to hate Bouchard after we hire him?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Ducharme will get a 3 year deal after the playoffs. Everyone was so excited when we hired him & Bouchard... now we already hate him... how long would it take to hate Bouchard after we hire him?

Don't coaches typically only accept at least 4-5 year deals these days? The only time coaches seem to have leverage is when they are being recruited, so I don't blame them for demanding more than 3 years, given the volatility of that position.

I suppose Ducharme might not have as much leverage as your typical coach, but if the habs clearly target him as their top candidate, I feel he should still be able to squeeze out a 4 year term.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...if Bouchard finally puts in place a new direction and more of a "This Century" style of play, he'll be loved by most, if not all...it's the reliance on the same brand of hockey since Jacques Martin that most dislike Ducharme for right now...they all promise to be more in line with the NHL as it is now, but then immediately institute the same shyte hockey brand that has us spinning in mud since the 90's...

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
...if Bouchard finally puts in place a new direction and more of a "This Century" style of play, he'll be loved by most, if not all...it's the reliance on the same brand of hockey since Jacques Martin that most dislike Ducharme for right now...they all promise to be more in line with the NHL as it is now, but then immediately institute the same shyte hockey brand that has us spinning in mud since the 90's...

What is the big difference between how the Habs play and most other teams from a coaching perspective?

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
For my money Gainey was the best coach we have had in the last 20 years.... having Larauqe shadow Lucic was genius! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad