Who will be the next Habs coach?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Torts hates skill guys though. If we’re going to get a new coach we need to get a guy with a modern approach to the game.
Really? St.Louis, Richards, Vinny, Panarin etc. would all disagree..

CBJ beat writer just said Seth Jones, Werenski and half the CBJ locker room were in tears (sadness not joy) about Torts leaving yesterday

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Why not recycle Gallant..... Or is it Carbo's turn?....... I'm unsure of the order.....

Cycle turn is:

Vigneault - Therrien - Julien - Carbo -Martin

Since Vigneult was not available at the time, we skipped him and the new cycle started with Therrien - Julien ..so it's Carbo - Martin - Vigneault next.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Torts hates skill guys though. If we’re going to get a new coach we need to get a guy with a modern approach to the game.

That's what we thought we were getting with Ducharme. Turns out, age has nothing to do with it. It takes brains. We need a smart coach. Doesn't matter his age or where he's from. Yeah, I'm still dreaming.

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
A few things bother me about Ducharme with the constant line juggling being the worst but we need to recognize that he was put in one of the hardest position one could think off.

Hey, here is a team in a slump, you are going to play 3 games every 5 days and you won't be able to have back to back practice days. Also, you will lose your N1 Goalie, your best winger/heart and soul player and your captain n1/2 D. Despite all that, we are in the playoffs.

Ducharme needs to coach a normal season before we can properly evaluate if he is a good coach or not.

I think that most the people complaining here, complained about Therriens, about Julien and now about Ducharme and will complain about the next coach...

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Assuming Ducharme isn't back (and that seems more likely than less likely), options apart from Joel Bouchard that seem to be "best" (read: HC candidates regardless of language) are Pascal Vincent and I guess Patrick Roy. Plus Andre Tourigny and Louis Robitaille for Assistant Coaches or Laval HC if Bouchard is the next Habs HC.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Ducharme 10-10-5: with the worst schedule in the NHL, exhausted players and missing core players

Julien 9-5-3: with a fresh and healthy line up

Context matters

Julien lost his job because Price had another one of his second month of the season nose-dives and Bergevin was afraid of another 8 game losing streak collapse. If DUcharme loses his job it will be because the Habs overall play started slipping almost immediately once he had time to make his changes and Montreal went from being a 5v5 juggernaut to a mediocre 5v5 to (once injuries and the schedule tightened up) a 5v5 tire fire.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Apparently Dom will be the next coach...cause you know, he earned it.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Ducharme 10-10-5: with the worst schedule in the NHL, exhausted players and missing core players

Context matters
9DB2B812-2C8B-4922-BF4A-800062362C82.jpeg

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
If Ducharme doesn't return as head coach, do you guys see him returning as an assistant coach possible? Or too much pride involved?

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
If Ducharme doesn't return as head coach, do you guys see him returning as an assistant coach possible? Or too much pride involved?

I think Ducharme needs to be head coach somewhere if he ever become one in the NHL.
Assistant Coach is one thing, but like Pascal Vincent who spend 5 years in the NHL as assistant-coach asked the Jets to be Head coach of the Moose instead, experience matters and assistant coach and head coach, it's really not the same job.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Context matters

Julien last season: 31-31-9 (on pace for 36 wins over 82 games)

Julien: 9-5-4 (on pace for 41 wins over 82 games)
Ducharme: 15-16-6 (on pace for 33 wins over 82 games)

Ducharme:
Pre Covid break with no injuries, 13GP: 5-3-5 (on pace for 32 wins over 82 games)
Post Covid break with injuries, 24GP: 10-13-1 (on pace for 34 wins over 82 games)

No team is fresh and healthy. Ducharme hasn't shown anything to suggest he deserves a longer look. Worst schedule, injuries, bla bla bla...results is basically one of the worst teams in the NHL in that span. Nothing impressive. End of the day, 2 years of ugly hockey with little development of youth.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Can we go with no coach and just let the players do whatever they want on the ice? We'll save money that way.

:o

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Sign the Hunter bros. Mark as GM n Dale as coach ;)

I do think Dale is better suited for O here in London but I'd like to see it as a Habs fan for 2yrs. Hate it as a Knights fan lol.

Go with an up n coming coach regardless of native tongue if Dom isn't afforded a chance with a real season ( which I think he should get but only with an asst hired as insurance) Guy has had no chance really to imprint this team with his identity of what it should be and was in scramble mode to make POs. That was the goal n he did it. Hopefully if around next year we see different game management.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

Context matters
It's a fair point but at any point in Ducharmes tenure have you really seen a team you can say is firing on all cylinders?

With Julien at times they were dominant.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
i get the sense there's also a lot we don't know, and it's bergevin's fault - such as promising staal a place in the lineup no matter what... If bergevin stays, he probably gives ducharme a couple of more years and he fixes the D and adds bouchard to ducharme's staff this summer

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
John Tortorella is entertaining as hell, but we don't need more drama in Montreal. No thanks.

Believe it or not, I can see Bergevin hiring Gerard Gallant back as head coach. Despite our GM's flaws, he's as fed up with the media as we are and might not mind pissing them off. I can see him answering the loaded questions by simply stating, "We were looking for the best guy for the job. We found him. Next question."
I'd prefer Tortorella to Gallant - I think he is a better coach.

But as many have said, it's possible he doesn't want to coach in Montreal.

I hope he does - I think he'd help the team quite a bit.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Really? St.Louis, Richards, Vinny, Panarin etc. would all disagree..

CBJ beat writer just said Seth Jones, Werenski and half the CBJ locker room were in tears (sadness not joy) about Torts leaving yesterday
Agreed. People get the wrong impression of Torts because of how he presents to the media.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Haha I just realized something funny. I don’t think I can recall a time when either terrien or julien wasn’t coach of the Canadians in my life.

I had to go actually look it up, and for like 15-16 years since 2000, it’s been either one of them, so I wasn’t far off.

haha that’s funny.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’m really hoping if Jo Jo is called up to Habs (which I don’t want for selfish reasons, since there will be a bunch of prospects entering the system in the next 2-3 years), that Louis Robitaille is poached as the replacement.

Korie Cheverie would be a solid management pickup to monitor AHL and prospect development oversight

If the choice is Bouchard as head coach for the Habs or losing him to another team, has he not deserved his opportunity?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad