OT: Who was the better player Fedorov or Datsyuk?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Poll results say it all.

Datsyuk is so damn special though, I can see why he got some votes. However, anyone who was old enough to know what they were seeing in the 90s, and who is being honest, can't vote against Feds in good conscience :thumbu:

Johnz96*

Poll results say it all.

Datsyuk is so damn special though, I can see why he got some votes. However, anyone who was old enough to know what they were seeing in the 90s, and who is being honest, can't vote against Feds in good conscience :thumbu:

Says more about people's intelligence than it does about how good Datsyuk and Fedorov were/are.
I was a Wings fan since 77 and I think Datsyuk is a much better player and especially a much better teammate.
Sergei would probably be better if he worked as hard but he didn't.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
This one is tough.

Datsyuk has the better temperament, brings his "A" game much more consistently, and definitely is the more creative/smarter player.

Fedorov definitely had a more impressive package of physical talent. His speed, strength and shot were as good as any to have played the game. And his playoff production was phenomenal. But, he was a prima dona who could go several games looking like he was just going through the motions, or looked depressed that he wasn't "the man" on the Wings.

Fedorov was all power, whereas Datsyuk is intellectual and wizardly.

Very glad I was able to watch both careers play out from their beginnings.

I'll go with Fedorov, just because he was so physically dominant, although he did always leave thinking he could be so much more if his work ethic and drive matched his abilities.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Says more about people's intelligence than it does about how good Datsyuk and Fedorov were/are.

Borderline trolling there :laugh:

Regardless, of the posters on this forum who have displayed the best hockey knowledge over time, a vast majority of them have voted for Fedorov. Something tells me they didn't suddenly go from intelligent to stupid all at once :laugh:

Plus, the arguments in Datsyuk's favor in this thread are wholly unconvincing.

I was a Wings fan since 77 and I think Datsyuk is a much better player and especially a much better teammate.
Sergei would probably be better if he worked as hard but he didn't.

Datsyuk a better teammate? Very likely. But the poll wasn't about who the better teammate is ;)

Johnz96*

Borderline trolling there :laugh:

Regardless, of the posters on this forum who have displayed the best hockey knowledge over time, a vast majority of them have voted for Fedorov. Something tells me they didn't suddenly go from intelligent to stupid all at once :laugh:

Plus, the arguments in Datsyuk's favor in this thread are wholly unconvincing.

Datsyuk a better teammate? Very likely. But the poll wasn't about who the better teammate is ;)
I'd say being a better teammate is a quality that should be considered when evaluating a player's worth.
Nostalgia.
In his last few years here Fedorov was regarded by man7 Wings' fans much like Franzen is now
"You don't know what you have until it's gone."
I think if somebody was to do a similar poll 10 years from now, Datsyuk would win it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Datsyuk really loses his one argument we always get to use with him in this case. There is so much more than points, well Fedorov did it too, you had guys like Lemieux and Gretzky calling him the toughest matchup in hockey. They hated playing against the guy.

I figured some would harbor the good old Sam Jones argument, assassinate his character as some locker room cancer and pick on his he didn't play at that level every night. Most of the points being made here are saying why didn't he play at that level every night, guess what the guy isn't a machine, nobody has played at his highest level every night ever. Somehow that needs to be attached to Fedorov especially those that dislike him. That is ultimately unfair, what Fedorov was is our first Hart Trophy winner since Gordie Howe, our most talented player since Mr. Hockey, maybe ever.

My favorite players are Yzerman, Lidstrom, and Zetterberg, I don't know who else will come after them, but the most complete hockey player and the best hockey player I have seen on the Wings is Fedorov. Really the Eurotwins remain a ways off the trio of Lidstrom, Yzerman, and Fedorov. You can call that being sentimental for the time before, but in my case as many of you know Zetterberg has boarder on the unthinkable in that I like him as much as I liked Yzerman and he doesn't belong on that next tier, neither does Dats.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I'd say being a better teammate is a quality that should be considered when evaluating a player's worth.

I agree, it should be a factor. I don't think it's enough to tip the scales in Datsyuk's favor though.

I think if somebody was to do a similar poll 10 years from now, Datsyuk would win it.

I disagree, however let's bookmark this thread and find out later :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad