OT: Who was the better player Fedorov or Datsyuk?

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Fedorov was too lazy too often. If he wasn't it'd be him. It's similar to ovechkin and Crosby. If ovechkin hustled always I think he'd be right there with crisby

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
Fedorov, in his prime, may have been the perfect combo of power, speed, skill and grace I've seen in the NHL. I love Datsyuk but Fedorov wins this, easily.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I voted for Datsyuk, but meant to vote for Fedorov. Fedorov has an impressive career, and benefits from having played longer than Datsyuk will be able to play. Datsyuk has been fairly consistent in the post lockout era, but the fact remains that Fedorov's peak is among the best of any player to play for this team. I thought Datsyuk's consistency may give him some points, but injuries and lockouts have robbed us a bit, and the fact is, Fedorov put up a good string of seasons in the 90's and even his decline I think can be overstated. Fedorov was over a PPG in his first season in Columbus. I like Datsyuk more than I like Fedorov, and I do love Fedorov, but he's definitely the better player. It sort of underscores how dominant those 90's teams were.

Hammerheart

Now how about a hug?
Aug 1, 2011
Datsyuk is more fun to watch than Fedorov ever was. Better? Don't know. But I'd still take Datsyuk over Fedorov.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Offense? Both put up some serious numbers.

Defense? Both have multiple Selkes.

Finesse and skill? All things considered, they might be equal.

Playoff resume? Fedorov EASILY takes this.

I happen to think that Datsyuk is a better playmaker/has better on-ice vision. Some of the plays he makes are just utterly baffling.

This is closer than people are giving Datsyuk credit for.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I had a hard time with this one. I voted Dats but think Federov could have been better but I don't think he worked as hard. Both are terrific

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I voted Datsyuk. I think he is the better player

Federov was of course also very good.

It is close for sure.
I think D will have his number retired for us
I don't think Federov will.

Edit: the retirement thing takes in way more factors (mostly loyalty)

I think Datsyuk is better all around, and better D.

Federove much better scorer,

Last edited:

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
This poll is way closer than I would have imagined...

I don't even think it's close; Fedorov was the better player. He could burn you with speed, his shot, and then skate back and shut you down defensively. Those playoff numbers are something special too, and Datsyuk's are very average.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Fedorov was my favorite player growing up, and Datsyuk is my current favorite.

Don't make me choose...

But really, not many players can compete with Feds at his best.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Fedorov. despite Fedorov's reputation for slacking in the regular season, their career PPG is pretty close, but Fedorov took it to another level in the playoffs. The guy was a beast.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
I'm starting to think, with how close this poll is, that many forum members didn't see prime Fedorov play. Feds was a better offensive player. Defense they are close, but we played Feds at defense because he wanted more icetime and he was a damn good DMan. Creativity goes to Datsyuk. But Feds was one of the fastest players to play the game, ever. Slap shot and wristshot goes to Feds big time. Didn't he win a hardest slapshot competition at an allstar game?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I'm starting to think, with how close this poll is, that many forum members didn't see prime Fedorov play. Feds was a better offensive player. Defense they are close, but we played Feds at defense because he wanted more icetime and he was a damn good DMan. Creativity goes to Datsyuk. But Feds was one of the fastest players to play the game, ever. Slap shot and wristshot goes to Feds big time. Didn't he win a hardest slapshot competition at an allstar game?

or are mad that fedorov wasn't lifetime wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad