OT: Who was the better player Fedorov or Datsyuk?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Fedorov. despite Fedorov's reputation for slacking in the regular season, their career PPG is pretty close, but Fedorov took it to another level in the playoffs. The guy was a beast.

and fedorov played basically always elite level defense during the regular season, though he didn't push as offensively after 96. maybe it was all those hard post-season losses.

and fedorov's ppg is lowered by his twilight years which shouldn't be knock against him.

peak, career, all fedorov. 120 points. second in scoring only to great one while playing elite D and winning selke.. also playoffs, yeah not close.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I'm starting to think, with how close this poll is, that many forum members didn't see prime Fedorov play. Feds was a better offensive player. Defense they are close, but we played Feds at defense because he wanted more icetime and he was a damn good DMan. Creativity goes to Datsyuk. But Feds was one of the fastest players to play the game, ever. Slap shot and wristshot goes to Feds big time. Didn't he win a hardest slapshot competition at an allstar game?

I think you're right. Memories tend to fade with time also. Some may not remember what a beast Feds could be. Pavel's experience is more fresh in the mind. I'm guilty of it myself so I went back and looked at some Federov video. Guy was an absolute stud

Detroit Sports*

I'm starting to think, with how close this poll is, that many forum members didn't see prime Fedorov play. Feds was a better offensive player. Defense they are close, but we played Feds at defense because he wanted more icetime and he was a damn good DMan. Creativity goes to Datsyuk. But Feds was one of the fastest players to play the game, ever. Slap shot and wristshot goes to Feds big time. Didn't he win a hardest slapshot competition at an allstar game?

I think Fedorov has him in D too.He played as a D man.Anyone remember want he was top 4? When he played D?

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
Fedorov

Sergei was better at everything, except incredibly flashy dangles. He shot harder, skated faster, was just as good a passer and could have played goalie if he had to.

Bigger, stronger, faster, just as skilled...better.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Didn't Datsyuk get hammered by fans during his early years for being a good regular season performer but poor playoff performer?

it's still a bit of a knock imo.

he was amazing in 11. especially phoenix series. one of the best performances by single player.

very disappointing against hawks last year, good against the ducks.

meh against the preds.

otherwise solid between, disappointing before his second cup win. looking at stats he seemed to be pretty good in 07 but i recall him being pretty underwhelming against the ducks.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Didn't Datsyuk get hammered by fans during his early years for being a good regular season performer but poor playoff performer?

Yeah, but it looks likely that he will still be a top player well into his late 30s/early 40s(?) (how old will he be when this extension is up?)

Yes Datsyuk started out slow in regards to playoff production, for sure. I think that his performances from 2007-2011 help to make up for that, but it doesn't make it go away.

RedWingsNow*

Fedorov's peak happened before the onset of the dead puck era, right?
Too close to call for me.

Johnz96*

Looking at the stats, it really isn't even debatable. Fedorov's peak was better than Datsyuk's by quite a bit.

Are you serious???
Everybody's stats were better then by quite a bit because for the sake of parity bettman allowed the goalie equipment to get bigger and bigger, leaving less net to shoot at, restricting talent and skill to give weaker teams a better chance of winning games and minimizing blowouts.

ashenhigh

Aug 27, 2008
Los Angeles
Datsyuk is my favorite player and has been since #19 retired, but I gotta go with Fedorov on this one. At his best, Fedorov was one of the all-around best players I have ever seen play hockey.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I like Dats more, but Feds wins this. Regular season they are very close. Feds did more on natural talent while Dats did more on effort (Which really says something about how talented Feds is). In the playoffs though its all Feds. He may be one of the most consistent/best playoff performers of all time. I mean when all was said and done he had 4 back to back 20 pt playoffs, and then got back to 19 pts during the 01/02 run. Add to the fact that this was done in the low scoring 90s and its even more impressive.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Fedorov - skating, size, slap shot, wrist shot, one timer, playoffs
Datsyuk - stickhandling, backhand, regular season
Tie - defense

Dats is my favourite, but Sergei is the better player.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
This is a lot closer than what I thought it'd be. If this poll was on the main board I think it'd be different.

Fedorov AINEC

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Fedorov was able to hang and outscore gretsky Dats does not have the shot accuracy that Federov had.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
main board? main board thinks crosby> every center except gretzky and lemieux. well in some cases over both of them.
Talent wise they have a point for the former. The latter is ridiculous on their part. But anyone who denies Crosby's talent shouldn't be discussing hockey.

Fedorov gets 9/10 votes on the main board, I believe. As he should. It's no knock to Datsyuk but there aren't too many players from any era that I take before Fedorov. Guy could do everything at an elite level. I still take his stride and skating over Bure, Coffey, Orr, etc etc etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad