Speculation: Who wants to be President of Hockey OPs; survey says...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
So firing Boucher and hiring anyone would make a huge difference ? Not in my mind. The problems start at the top and go deep into the Hockey Ops department. Boucher was not the right coach, following a long string of "not the right coaches" for many years now. But Boucher is not the Major problem; he is just the latest scapegoat!
Yes I do think that firing Boucher would have had an impact on the team's on-ice performance, but no, I do not think that Boucher was/is the problem. Melnyk and Dorion are the problems, the majority of us know that.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Pretty sure Kelly wouldn’t be at dev camp right now if he had any ill will
I susepect Kelly likes the other development coaches, and the players he's worked with, and wouldn't want to hang them out to dry. Sometimes you like the people but not the org or the job, so you stick around longer than you otherwise would. Not sure if that's what's happening here, but there are lots of possibilities.

Kelly probably sticks around if it was to continue as the assistant coach, but I suspect they offered him his old gig as development coach back, and that's what he is opting to walk away from.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the head coach typically has made the decisions about development coaches. I think that falls under the director of player development's staff, along with the conditioning coach (I don't think we've had a director of player dev since Lee was promoted.)

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Even the most passionate season ticket holders I know are not happy with Melnyk. They see him as an just another element that is against the team, like injuries or something. They support the team but have completely isolated and compartmentalized ownership as “other” and separate from the team. It’s a bit odd but that’s how it is.
I have yet to hear one STH say that they hope Melnyk keeps the team. I think they view this period as a badge of honour almost. As in “I fully supported the Senators even throughout the Melnyk years and those were dark times”.
I haven't seen anyone STH or not, that is happy with the ownership . It is almost inconceivable to think someone would be happy. It is what it is. Lose your star players, every single one.

But many are sticking it out, and won't give up on the team. Many have abandoned the team, and speaks to their gumption and tolerance for the bad times. I cannot fathom giving up on the tea,m not going to games. That is inconceivable to me. I will put up with it, hope for the best, and watch the best hockey in the world, even when my team loses more than wins.

All of the guys that get attacked in here for not being 100% negative, I have yet to see any of them say they are content with anything. They just won't quit the team. If anyone can picture getting back into the playoffs, whenever that may be, it will be a great feeling.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Many have abandoned the team, and speaks to their gumption and tolerance for the bad times. I cannot fathom giving up on the tea,m not going to games. That is inconceivable to me. I will put up with it, hope for the best, and watch the best hockey in the world, even when my team loses more than wins.
Look the whole "bad fan/good" or "abandoning the team" discussion has been played out multiple times here. The fact that so many people are so passionate about their beliefs in either direction about the hockey club shows that people care and shows the exact opposite of abandonment.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Look the whole "bad fan/good" or "abandoning the team" discussion has been played out multiple times here. The fact that so many people are so passionate about their beliefs in either direction about the hockey club shows that people care and shows the exact opposite of abandonment.
Never called anyone a good or bad fan. Just stated a fact that many have quit on their team, and I did not say whether they were right or wrong to do so. I then followed up with my personal belief. Quit trolling/gaslighting/chezzing this thread. My english is plain to see. I don't care how you want to categorize it either.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I haven't seen anyone STH or not, that is happy with the ownership . It is almost inconceivable to think someone would be happy. It is what it is. Lose your star players, every single one.

But many are sticking it out, and won't give up on the team. Many have abandoned the team, and speaks to their gumption and tolerance for the bad times. I cannot fathom giving up on the tea,m not going to games. That is inconceivable to me. I will put up with it, hope for the best, and watch the best hockey in the world, even when my team loses more than wins.

All of the guys that get attacked in here for not being 100% negative, I have yet to see any of them say they are content with anything. They just won't quit the team. If anyone can picture getting back into the playoffs, whenever that may be, it will be a great feeling.

No one who is posting on a hockey message board in the middle of the summer (no matter what side of the debate they fall on) has quit on the team. That was a bit of a red herring on your part, imo (whether intentional or not).

Not that we've established that no one is happy with ownership, and also that no one has given up/quit on this team, it should be easier to find common ground. There are obviously some on these boards that are still very far apart in their beliefs about how much of the blame should fall on the organization, but it's important to remember we're all coming from the same place when it comes to hoping for the best for this team moving forward.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Never called anyone a good or bad fan. Just stated a fact that many have quit on their team, and I did not say whether they were right or wrong to do so. I then followed up with my personal belief. Quit trolling/gaslighting/chezzing this thread. My english is plain to see. I don't care how you want to categorize it either.

I didn't call anyone good or bad, I just insinuated it!

:laugh:

Reactions: Deku

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
No one who is posting on a hockey message board in the middle of the summer (no matter what side of the debate they fall on) has quit on the team. That was a bit of a red herring on your part, imo (whether intentional or not).

Not that we've established that no one is happy with ownership, and also that no one has given up/quit on this team, it should be easier to find common ground. There are obviously some on these boards that are still very far apart in their beliefs about how much of the blame should fall on the organization, but it's important to remember we're all coming from the same place when it comes to hoping for the best for this team moving forward.
Well, no. People refuse to support the team. If intentionally avoiding games at the arena is not a sign of it, well that is a topic for another thread. Whether people come in here on HF and support it in their own way, good for them. And many here absolutely are not hoping for the best. Not you per se, but many.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I didn't call anyone good or bad, I just insinuated it!

:laugh:
How you perceive it. Some fans gumption and tolerance have made the decision pretty easy. And I am not going to say they are right nad wrong as, afetr all, that is a personal decision. And I didn't say "lack" of it, nor did I commend others for having more. I was careful with that. Perceive as you wish.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Can't it be a matter of principle?

Are we to keep paying in to a group of people that is essentially comprised of two main individuals we don't believe in. One of which we feel is actively working against, and will always stand in the way of, the product on the ice going anywhere, and the other who should have been fired for what's happened already.

I can scream and cheer for the guys in the jerseys, but I can't in good conscience give money to the two guys running the show and making the decisions.

Reactions: BatherSeason

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
How you perceive it. Some fans gumption and tolerance have made the decision pretty easy. And I am not going to say they are right nad wrong as, afetr all, that is a personal decision. And I didn't say "lack" of it, nor did I commend others for having more. I was careful with that. Perceive as you wish.

Just like with Melnyk and Dorion, you (and I) have a track record.

You can lawyer your way around it but we all know your song and what key it is in.

Reactions: BatherSeason

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Can't it be a matter of principle?

Are we to keep paying in to a group of people that is essentially comprised of two main individuals we don't believe in. One of which we feel is actively working against, and will always stand in the way of, the product on the ice going anywhere, and the other who should have been fired for what's happened already.

I can scream and cheer for the guys in the jerseys, but I can't in good conscience give money to the two guys running the show and making the decisions.
It certainly can be a matter of principle. And I am perfectly ok with that. Which is why I said, someone's level of gumption and tolerance depends on many things. Principle can be one of those things. To each their own.

No one has to pay if they don't believe. Fanaticals are unconditional in their love of their team. Others have more conditions. Like I said, to each their own.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
You stated that people have abandoned the team, I corrected you and so did a few others.

And many here absolutely are not hoping for the best.
Speaking for everyone now? Every single fan of this hockey team is hoping for the best and in this case "the best" is Melnyk and Dorion leaving, then we can proceed to the lifting of the Cup.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Just like with Melnyk and Dorion, you (and I) have a track record.

You can lawyer your way around it but we all know your song and what key it is in.
Right. You are prejudiced towards me and incapable of objectivity. Which is why maybe you are best to put me on ignore

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You stated that people have abandoned the team, I corrected you and so did a few others.

Speaking for everyone now? Every single fan of this hockey team is hoping for the best and in this case "the best" is Melnyk and Dorion leaving, then we can proceed to the lifting of the Cup.
Who said that they were wrong to do so?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
So lame that we’re constantly running in circles nipping at each other (I’m deliberately including myself here by the way, before I get gangbanged for being smug and patronizing!).

I hope it ends soon one way or another.

This young collection of players and prospects, and the new coaching staff, have me looking forward to next season. I’m glad the drama is over concerning EK, Stone, Duchene, and our 1st. Just that will make it easier to focus on what happens in the ice, regardless of what’s happening in the boardroom.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It certainly can be a matter of principle. And I am perfectly ok with that. Which is why I said, someone's level of gumption and tolerance depends on many things. Principle can be one of those things. To each their own.

No one has to pay if they don't believe. Fanaticals are unconditional in their love of their team. Others have more conditions. Like I said, to each their own.
My love of the team is unconditional as it has been for over 20 years, same as my White Sox. My financial support for people I feel are actively destroying the current and future chances of success and overall viability of the product in Ottawa is not.

If you truly believe the product isn't going to change with more or less financial support, does it really matter?

Last edited:

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
So lame that we’re constantly running in circles nipping at each other (I’m deliberately including myself here by the way, before I get gangbanged for being smug and patronizing!).

I hope it ends soon one way or another.

This young collection of players and prospects, and the new coaching staff, have me looking forward to next season. I’m glad the drama is over concerning EK, Stone, Duchene, and our 1st. Just that will make it easier to focus on what happens in the ice, regardless of what’s happening in the boardroom.

It ends the day our front office (hockey ops and business) gets flushed. You simply can't have such awful negative PR, and run the same faces out there for the "rebuild" and expect people to be content. Imagine Trump somehow getting another term and saying "things are going to be different now, I promise". No one would believe that.

It's such a shame we have to deal with all of this crap. Things like financing announcements, the hiring of a "COO", and botched arena deals are things that literally no other team's fans even has to think twice about, yet we are subjected to almost daily.

The day the organization runs like a well oiled machine above hockey ops will be the day we stop arguing over how much of shit show the franchise is.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I susepect Kelly likes the other development coaches, and the players he's worked with, and wouldn't want to hang them out to dry. Sometimes you like the people but not the org or the job, so you stick around longer than you otherwise would. Not sure if that's what's happening here, but there are lots of possibilities.

Kelly probably sticks around if it was to continue as the assistant coach, but I suspect they offered him his old gig as development coach back, and that's what he is opting to walk away from.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the head coach typically has made the decisions about development coaches. I think that falls under the director of player development's staff, along with the conditioning coach (I don't think we've had a director of player dev since Lee was promoted.)

They were saying the other day on 1200 that DJ has Capuano running the D and the PK and that for his other on bench coach he wants a former offensive type player that can run a PP. that kind of excludes Kelly which is what they were saying. I can see him wanting to continue in the coaching role because he appeared to be good at it. But you know it's a pay your dues kind of business.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think you’re both right. As weird as s it seems, even the people that are turning their back on the team are also simultaneously hoping for the team to change and are looking for any glimmer of hope. There is a crap ton of support out there but it’s being held in check by EM’s bizarre last 18 months or so.
I believe that an ownership change could help but only if new ownership behaved differently. So it’s not so much the owner as it is ownership behaviour.
A POHO with Melnyk stepping out of any meddling roles. and a New GM would go a long way imo. Set a budget let these guys do their job. Dorion should be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad