Speculation: Who wants to be President of Hockey OPs; survey says...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Peter MacTavish has no hockey ops experience prior to being hired last summer. I'm sure he's great at crunching numbers and working the contract details out. He's in more of a capoligist role than anything hockey related, imo. The snippets that came out when he was hired kinda painted that picture as well, which is why there were talks of another AGM coming in.

Allison Vaughan is tremendous at her job and a real asset to the team. She also has no role in hockey ops decisions.

Trading picks to save the owner real bonus cash has Pete's approval seemingly all over it, that's his mo in a nutshell in my eyes

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
How did that work for Dorion the first time around?

Assuming you mean with Boucher, who recommended a few players who had coached before, or was familiar with (Europe) and some were brought in to the fold ..... and the team came within one goal of the SCFs

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Assuming you mean with Boucher, who recommended a few players who had coached before, or was familiar with (Europe) and some were brought in to the fold ..... and the team came within one goal of the SCFs

And followed it with the two worst seasons in two decades.

Doesn't seem like the best way to build for FYOUS.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

In all fairness, it wasn’t exactly our bottom line guys that dragged us down to the bottom of the standings...

Most things in moderation is key, including coaches input.

Ser Grogu

Dank farrik
Aug 6, 2009
ZnPiryY.jpg

Noooobody

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Seriously just fire Dorion. He has been an absolute clown of a GM and has helped create this gong show of an organization the last two years

Will be a great day when hes finally let go. Its insanity to watch someone so far in over his head maintain a position at the top of this organization

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

They did indeed post those seasons. But I'd be hard pressed to put a huge,amount of blame on Boucher's guys.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Who is to blame for the awful seasons, other than the stars we traded?

Potentially coaching and goaltending, but honestly I’m not sure we had a ‘team’ at that point. We rolled into, and though a season of unprecedented bad publicity surrounding all of our best players.

An entire core clique had been removed from the team centered around EK, that had to leave a massive hole.

New comer Duchene, and Stone mentoring BT was not enough to bring together our merry band, especially since it sounds as though the players lacked respect for the associate coaches, and had tuned out GB by that time.

The way things are coming together now seems like a large focus on character guys, a young peer group of like-minded kids, with a core group that know each other from high lever US hockey.

Honestly, we might just be forming the perfect group of kids to feed off of the ‘us against the world’ sense that has to surround the Senators team. Owner is a buffoon, previous core or stars all gone, fans won’t come to games because they hate the owner/management team.

Yeah, I see DJ and the boys bringing this group of kids close. I bet we hear from the vets along the way that this was the most fun they have ever had playing for a cellar dwelling rebuild team.

Pretty stoked to see what this brand spanking new Senators team can do. Next summer another block of the ‘old guard’ will be gone as well...

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Potentially coaching and goaltending, but honestly I’m not sure we had a ‘team’ at that point. We rolled into, and though a season of unprecedented bad publicity surrounding all of our best players.

An entire core clique had been removed from the team centered around EK, that had to leave a massive hole.

New comer Duchene, and Stone mentoring BT was not enough to bring together our merry band, especially since it sounds as though the players lacked respect for the associate coaches, and had tuned out GB by that time.

The way things are coming together now seems like a large focus on character guys, a young peer group of like-minded kids, with a core group that know each other from high lever US hockey.

Honestly, we might just be forming the perfect group of kids to feed off of the ‘us against the world’ sense that has to surround the Senators team. Owner is a buffoon, previous core or stars all gone, fans won’t come to games because they hate the owner/management team.

Yeah, I see DJ and the boys bringing this group of kids close. I bet we hear from the vets along the way that this was the most fun they have ever had playing for a cellar dwelling rebuild team.

Pretty stoked to see what this brand spanking new Senators team can do. Next summer another block of the ‘old guard’ will be gone as well...
The comedic meta on this sub is getting too much. This could be a new copypasta.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Did Ottawa already backpedal and say they are thinking of bringing in an 'advisor' and not a president of hockey ops ?

How many more days do we need to wait to get POHO. seems like it should be something you put in place for the offseason not after

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Did Ottawa already backpedal and say they are thinking of bringing in an 'advisor' and not a president of hockey ops ?

How many more days do we need to wait to get POHO. seems like it should be something you put in place for the offseason not after

I think maybe after being snubbed for the position they have modified the job in order to be able widen the scope.

You could bring a respected retired player in as an advisor, but not really as a POHO.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

From the sounds of it they never really intended to give the POHO proper control or compensation, so it would have been a POHO in name only. The team has set the bar so low I'd honestly be happy with a "senior advisor" hire at this point, but I'm not holding my breath since that's something that should have been addressed prior to the coaching hire, or the draft or free agency and we're still here waiting.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I think maybe after being snubbed for the position they have modified the job in order to be able widen the scope.

You could bring a respected retired player in as an advisor, but not really as a POHO.
lol that seems kinda sad but im guessing it has more to do with pay and control. Guys probably want Shanahan level control and Melnyk seems to love dorion

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

It seems to me that Smith is the the new advisor that DuhDorion needs to do his GM job smarter. The last guy, Boucher, did a shitty job of POHO. :)

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Has the media given up on this too?? Sucks that they let Melnyk off the hook so easily, too scared to lose their charter seat I guess.

Last edited:

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
Has the media given up on this too?? Sucks that they let Melnyk off the hook so easily, too scared to loose their charter seat I guess.

Agreed. Can you imagine if MLSE announced they were replacing Shannahan and then went radio silence for 3 months. lol.

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad