Speculation: Who wants to be President of Hockey OPs; survey says...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
They were saying the other day on 1200 that DJ has Capuano running the D and the PK and that for his other on bench coach he wants a former offensive type player that can run a PP. that kind of excludes Kelly which is what they were saying. I can see him wanting to continue in the coaching role because he appeared to be good at it. But you know it's a pay your dues kind of business.

Joey Mullen might be good there.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
In my opinion you don’t fire a GM in the middle of them building the team they want to contend with. PD inherited BMs team blueprint, and it didn’t exactly inspire contender confidence in the end.

From the looks of things, this is a good start in my opinion. I’m actually glad that we have finally started from scratch with the new GM. I like the idea that the new guys gets to have a crack at creating their own team, rather than simply managing the middling team they step into.

BMs team here just didn’t have the right core to get it done over the years, and while I wanted EK to stay, and then Stone and Duchene, I’ve come to really like the young team we’re seeing, and feel like our team has needed to have a complete reset for a long time now. I’m at peace with their respective departures.

I think BT is an excellent centre piece to build a team identity around, along with guys like White and Chabot, and our prospect pool looks deep and filled with players that ‘play the right way’. It looks like we’re being built from the net out, and that the players picked are being chosen based on being playoff type guys.

PD may not be a great interview, but his team is starting to look quite promising, and the best draft is yet to come.

It’s an unpopular opinion, but I don’t much care about the off ice drama to be honest, though I keep abreast of the latest rumors and speculation. It just doesn’t factor in much when I look at the roster, read about the prospects, listen to the interviews of players, coaches, scouts, and GM. The proof in the pudding will always be the team on the ice in the end, and I’m looking forward to the start of the season with this group.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Pierre , I think we have a good candidate to come in and join the team as POHO.. I think he'll fit right in.
4jcIGV.jpg

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Are we really left with this low hanging fruit now?
We already have the lowest fruit working pretty much in every prominent position. Definitely the worst GM, possibly the worst pro scouts (see Zaitsev, Boedker, Burrows trades), the worst CEO/COO in Melnyk. Our "contract guy" hasn't really re-signed anyone of relevance, so probably the lowest hanging assistant GM fruit as well. With all that being said, Ron Francis would be the most competent of the bunch/

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
We already have the lowest fruit working pretty much in every prominent position. Definitely the worst GM, possibly the worst pro scouts (see Zaitsev, Boedker, Burrows trades), the worst CEO/COO in Melnyk. Our "contract guy" hasn't really re-signed anyone of relevance, so probably the lowest hanging assistant GM fruit as well. With all that being said, Ron Francis would be the most competent of the bunch/

Hmmmmm, I was referring to the bad joke...

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
New POHO is DJ Smith

I know this is a joke, but it's pretty damn clear DJ Smith is the defacto AGM now (taking over the Boucher role).

Would certainly be nice if Head Coach and AGM were mutually exclusive positions, but alas, we're the Sens.

Reactions: Deku

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Melnyk is naming himself so that he can appoint the largest salary in the league to himself and funnel money out of the org. Would anyone be shocked at this point?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Most GMs take input from their coaches when liking to fill out depth players on the roster.

The coach has developed the system, and generally have a few players they know who would do well in it.

As usual there is a mountain being made from a molehill, with a Sens flag on top.

A GM that works with the coach is a good thing.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Would be nice if the team had more than 2 sets of eyes on roster construction.

Of course it's great if the GM and HC have a good working rapport and can bounce ideas of each other. It's also great to have a POHO, Director of Player Personnel and a (hockey ops) AGM around to do the same. A dedicated B-Sens GM would be pretty cool too, given the org's apparent "eyes on the future".

I guess that costs more money than 2-3 guys wearing multiples hats though.

Reactions: Deku

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
melnyk is too cheap

my god cant wait till this team sells

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Would be nice if the team had more than 2 sets of eyes on roster construction.

Of course it's great if the GM and HC have a good working rapport and can bounce ideas of each other. It's also great to have a POHO, Director of Player Personnel and a (hockey ops) AGM around to do the same. A dedicated B-Sens GM would be pretty cool too, given the org's apparent "eyes on the future".

I guess that costs more money than 2-3 guys wearing multiples hats though.

Wouldn't Peter MacTavish have his eyes on the re-build as well?

Does anyone know more about Manager of hockey administration
Allison Vaughan?
She's been with the franchise pretty much since their re-admittance to the NHL.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Allison Vaughan?

Peter MacTavish has no hockey ops experience prior to being hired last summer. I'm sure he's great at crunching numbers and working the contract details out. He's in more of a capoligist role than anything hockey related, imo. The snippets that came out when he was hired kinda painted that picture as well, which is why there were talks of another AGM coming in.

Allison Vaughan is tremendous at her job and a real asset to the team. She also has no role in hockey ops decisions.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Allison Vaughan?
It would help if anyone actually knew who this guy was.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Good, Pyatt was a solid 4th liner for us.

Folks do like to dish out heaps of blame on our bottom line players in here though so.....
Pyatt was far from the only Boucher guy and either way he got caved in night in and night out. I know, I know, "tough minutes", but in reality, he was terrible.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Pyatt was far from the only Boucher guy and either way he got caved in night in and night out. I know, I know, "tough minutes", but in reality, he was terrible.

Hmmm, no, he really didn’t at all. His last season was by far his worst and he wasn’t brought back.

Pyatt was a good soldier for us. I can’t think of who the others are, but was our stars that let this team down, not it’s bottom line guys.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I'd love to add Mark Hunter - not exactly sure in what capacity but he also probably has a relationship with DJ and knows the CHL very well. Excellent resume for a rebuilding team

Beat case scenario Dorion is fired this season and we can start gaining some actual traction

Reactions: Yak
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln