Who signed a 8+ million AAV deal right after their ELC?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Crosby Malkin Ovechkin McDavid all flirting (or are) with generational status which makes sense.

Draisatl, Eichel, anyone else? Drawing a blank...

If you aren't the top 4 listed above, isn't this super risky for a team to sign a guy for 7-8 years to that kind of money after only 2.5-3 good years?

Last edited:

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
The league is growing which means the average salary is going to rise. This means you will so more and more young players make way more money vs their comparable 10 years prior.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
cap is higher now than a few years back. There will be multiple guys in the next two years im guessing (Matthews, Marner, Barzal, Laine)
Lets then start with who has got 10+% of cap?

Were they all worth it?

Reactions: zar

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Lets then start with who has got 10+% of cap?

Were they all worth it?

Stamkos (7M/64.3M cap) yes

Toews basically got the same deal as Kane and while he is not worth his current deal I do think the 6.3M deal was worth every penny

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Crosby Malkin Ovechkin McDavid all flirting (or are) with generational status which makes sense.

Draisatl, Eichel, anyone else? Drawing a blank...

If you aren't the top 4 listed above, isn't this super risky for a team to sign a guy for 7-8 years to that kind of money after only 2.5-3 good years?

So.... is this an anti-Nylander thing? Without actually saying it?

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
So.... is this an anti-Nylander thing? Without actually saying it?

Interested about the topic in general. I personally don't think Nylander will come close to this topic and will sign in the 6+M range.

I expect Matthews to be in this conversation, but Im most interested in how Marner fits into this conversation.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
8m on a 79.5m cap is just over 10%. Ekblad signed for 10.27% of cap when he extended.

Phaneuf for 12.92%.

Last edited:
Reactions: MC2D

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Edmonton and Buffalo were desperate to lock in a franchise player for marketing reasons. While McDavid and Eichel are probably worth what they will be paid there was no reason for the teams to go that high on an RFA deal. Eichel benefited from having McDavid in his draft class, any other year he gets less.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Damn, I like Eichel but the more I think about it 10 millions absolutely crazy...

Blame Buffalo but Eichel's contract set the standard for how much Matthews will get

Here's the difference between Eichel's situation with the Sabres and Matthews' situation with the Leafs:

Buffalo had nothing glamorous outside of Eichel. Had, they do now have quite a bright future, but when Eichel was getting signed, he was so far and away their biggest prized possession it wasn't even comparable.

Matthews isn't in the same boat in Toronto. As is evidenced by Nylander's absence and the team not missing a single beat offensively. Matthews will get something between Eichel and McDavid, I'm sure, but he won't be able to strong-arm the Leafs the way that Eichel could have done to the Sabres - not to say he did, but he could have if he wanted to.

Reactions: Voight

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Here's the difference between Eichel's situation with the Sabres and Matthews' situation with the Leafs:

Buffalo had nothing glamorous outside of Eichel. Had, they do now have quite a bright future, but when Eichel was getting signed, he was so far and away their biggest prized possession it wasn't even comparable.

Matthews isn't in the same boat in Toronto. As is evidenced by Nylander's absence and the team not missing a single beat offensively. Matthews will get something between Eichel and McDavid, I'm sure, but he won't be able to strong-arm the Leafs the way that Eichel could have done to the Sabres - not to say he did, but he could have if he wanted to.
Yeah I understand how they needed to
I honestly blame the Draisaitl contract if all these guys start to get insane contracts.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The cap hasn't risen that much in % wise in recent year. To think you can overpay players now because of a slow rising cap is not practical at all. Nylander is not deserving of been paid a top 5 RWEer , Might not be in the top 15, If you want to go by comparables. Nylander is 6.5m a year long term, no where near 8m.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Yeah I understand how they needed to
I honestly blame the Draisaitl contract if all these guys start to get insane contracts.

I know what you mean, maybe the contract could. rightly be called the Chiarelli contract. Draistail probably never thought he would get so much, despite his contract request. Chiarelli was the author of the deal.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

Your team has not played one real game yet. Bozac,JVR and Nylander is a lot of depth to lose.
I still cant for the life of me figure out why they brought in one of the highest paid UFA centers after drafting a great. 1,2 punch down the middle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad