Who signed a 8+ million AAV deal right after their ELC?

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
So 2 of those contracts were signed by the Oilers, since Buffalo signed Vanek. No one forced them to match the offersheet. I dont think you can really say the Oilers signed him since we never got the player, we tried to sign him.

I loved that Penner signing. Even if he turned into Lucic, it was worth it to watch Burke explode mentally
I think Penner would be an upgrade over Lucic right now haha and yeah Burkey ripped into Lowe pretty good and deservedly so

Jan 3, 2012
The inflation rate in the U.S. since October 2005 is roughly 2.08% per year on average. The growth rate of the cap ceiling over the same time frame is ~7.99%.

Thank you!

So basically the cap is growing very fast. Any chance you know the growth of the NHL overall?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Players might point to Draisatl and Eichel but
Teams can also point to Pasternak's $6.7M to keep contracts down.

The problem with 'tank' teams is that they have to point to these young players as the future and it gives them a lot more leverage as teams can't afford to mess around if there either still near the bottom of the league or if the young player is a major reason why they've risen.

ie. Barzal will have a lot of leverage as The Isle can't afford to lose him marketing wise while Laine won't have as much leverage as the Jets still have Wheeler, Scheifele, Buff, etc.

Because of the Tavares signing, Toronto will be the most interesting case. Guarantee without signing him that Nylander would've gotten near what he was asking for and been out on the ice as they wouldn't have been able to sell a dispute to their fans after talking up all three kids for so long and finally having a good season. Now with Tavares, the excitement is baked in and they can play hard-ball.

Apples and oranges... Pastrnak's contract was only for 6 years, not 8 years... add the first 2 years of Pastrnak's next contract to his current contract and then see what it averages out to be.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
If Marner has the season he looks set to have... he could break 100 pts this year, in that case 9-10 mil is not out of the question.

Dubas put himself in a shitty position with Tavares at 11M.
Matthews is their 'chosen one' so he'll expect that and then some.
Marner feels he is as good, if not better [IMO], than Matthews so will be the same if not more depending on the year.
Nylander is pulling the Draisaitl card. He knows he's not as good as the other 3 but is he only 'half' as good at 6Mish? He certainly doesn't think there's that gap.

I think Marner will be the one to mess it all up because IMO, while not as complete as Matthews, he likely will generate more offence.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I think Penner would be an upgrade over Lucic right now haha and yeah Burkey ripped into Lowe pretty good and deservedly so

I dont know if it was deservedly so. He was just throwing a tantrum like he is prone to doing. We overpaid for Penner but oversheets can be exciting. If pronger had the use of both his eyes, then yes.

Burke and Lowe are both has beens, remnants of the dinosaur management era. He was gifted that team in Anaheim, the real Burke stood up in Toronto. The Ghost of Lowe still wanders the halls of Rogers place somewhere in the rafters....cant seem to get his stench out of our franchise, but he knows how to win....supposedly....

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Sure, but Patrick Kane's first three season's after he was drafted were all in the NHL, and he put up 72, 70, & 88 points. He led Chicago in scoring in his first year in the league as a 18/19 year old.

So if you're making comparisons to some young guys in the league right now, he's quite a bit ahead of a guy like Nylander (who wasn't even in the league until his draft year +3, and then only put up 61 points as #4 scorer on his team). Guys like Eichel, Laine, Matthews, etc if you use a Patrick Kane comparison, should probably get caphits around 8.5M under the current cap, and not ~10M. Though because Eichel signed for 10M, Draisaitl signed for 8.5M, etc, it's going to push Laine/Matthews contracts quite a bit higher than they should be.

So Matthews and Laine are signing 5 year contracts then? Kane's contract 11.09% of the Salary Cap at the time was only a 5 year deal.

If you add the first 3 years of his next deal (I will only use his AAV) $10.5 x 3 = $31.5m

Let's total Kane's 8 years following his ELC...
5 x $6.3m AAV= $31.5m
3 x $10.5m AAV = $31.5m
Total $63M

$63m / 8 = $7.875m AAV / $59.4m Cap Max in 2010/11 = 13.2% of 2010/11 Salary Cap

Using this year $79.5 x 13.2% = $10.494 AAV

This why it makes more sense LONG TERM to sign the guys you feel are sure things to 8 years deals off their ELCs and overpay a bit. But, of course, if the GM feels his window is more immediate then it would make more sense to use 6 year deals to keep the AAV down... you also have to hope the player is OK with this shorter-term as well.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Meh, I wouldnt blame any team. A GM's job is to manage his own team, if it's so obvious that Draisaitl is overpaid he should be able to prove that and negotiate a lower contract for his stars. If your GM just caves in and offers an Eichel/Draisaitl contract then I guess hes bad at his job too.

One contract shouldnt suddenly negate all the previous contracts of sub-8million contracts. That's silly reasoning.
I agree, it definitely shouldn't impact it. Unfortunately it always seems to, though. Because the market is so small and the moves are so well-known, most GMs seem to be unable to avoid getting caught in the same traps as the other ones.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I agree, it definitely shouldn't impact it. Unfortunately it always seems to, though. Because the market is so small and the moves are so well-known, most GMs seem to be unable to avoid getting caught in the same traps as the other ones.

That's why a guy like yzerman is so impressive. He just doesnt seem to give a f***, and the players buy in. I think we will really find out in the next 5 years if its the tax situation or yzerman. If the next GM comes in and does far worse, we can probably assume it isnt just tax breaks causing lower contracts in TB.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Some guys are in for the paycheque first and foremost, and want as much as they can get.

I wouldn't pay $8 for him. good player but not that good.
he deserves 6.5 million based on his compatibles and cap inflation

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Nylander isn't getting 8 mill per, if he thinks he is he has a long year of sitting ahead of him, at this point he's worth 6.75 per at the most ala a Pastrnak/Ehlers comparable. Two players of the same age and nearly identical stats to him. He isn't even one of the top 5 most important pieces on the Leafs at this point, he's behind Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Rielly, perhaps even Kadri.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Edmonton and Buffalo were desperate to lock in a franchise player for marketing reasons. While McDavid and Eichel are probably worth what they will be paid there was no reason for the teams to go that high on an RFA deal. Eichel benefited from having McDavid in his draft class, any other year he gets less.

Probably the dumbest thing I have read on HF in years. Marketing reasons? The f***

Reactions: frag2

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Probably the dumbest thing I have read on HF in years. Marketing reasons? The ****
i don't know if I'd say marketing but after so many years of abject failure you gotta give the fans something.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Dubas put himself in a ****ty position with Tavares at 11M.
Matthews is their 'chosen one' so he'll expect that and then some.
Marner feels he is as good, if not better [IMO], than Matthews so will be the same if not more depending on the year.
Nylander is pulling the Draisaitl card. He knows he's not as good as the other 3 but is he only 'half' as good at 6Mish? He certainly doesn't think there's that gap.

I think Marner will be the one to mess it all up because IMO, while not as complete as Matthews, he likely will generate more offence.

Matthews will get his obligatory 10 million which is the going rate for franchise #1 centres in the NHL these days, thats fine he is worth every penny.

Tavares is also worth the money, to run two #1 C's down the middle like that is simply clutch and a huge difference maker in the standings and a teams ability to win playoff series. Ask the Penguins about that.

I'm one of those Leafs fans who never believed the idea that we'll be able to keep Matthews, Tavares, Marner AND Nylander forever. One will need to go and at this point Nylander would appear to be the best option to move of the bunch, he isn't as good as Marner and nowhere near as valuable as Matthews/Tavares.

Did Dubas put himself in a ****ty position by signing Tavares? I'm not sure signing the best 27 year old Free Agent in decades can be considered a ****ty situation to be honest, to add a franchise #1 centre for simply money is...well.. money.

Dubas is not going to hand out an overinflated contract to Nylander that much is known.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Would be a bit more interesting to change into % of cap on first season in which the contract is active, with an indication of how many RFA years and UFA years it bought.

You have to do it by date of signing, not date it becomes effective. If McDavid told the Oilers he wanted a max contract on July 1, 2017 then it would be based on the 2017-18 cap and not the 2018-19 cap. That should be recorded as 20%, not 18.9%

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
You have to do it by date of signing, not date it becomes effective. If McDavid told the Oilers he wanted a max contract on July 1, 2017 then it would be based on the 2017-18 cap and not the 2018-19 cap. That should be recorded as 20%, not 18.9%

Ok, so you can list all players who asked for max contracts in their own column if you like.

But for non-max, if you know what the cap is going to be next season, then you can just ask for an amount relative to that cap projection.

Have fun with your exercise.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
LOL yeah right. You're in fantasy land.

He's a second line centre, mid 50s point player when not playing with McDavid.

Funny.
Willy is a second line winger, mid 40s point player when not playing with the goat Auston.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Funny.
Willy is a second line winger, mid 40s point player when not playing with the goat Auston.
well if Matthews has that effect on his linemates, I can only assume he's better than McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad