Who signed a 8+ million AAV deal right after their ELC?

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Ok, so you can list all players who asked for max contracts in their own column if you like.

But for non-max, if you know what the cap is going to be next season, then you can just ask for an amount relative to that cap projection.

Have fun with your exercise.
Bold is the key. There's no firm information on what the cap might be until the December BoG meeting. Guys that signed a year early in July like McDavid and Crosby had no way of knowing what the cap would be when their deals kicked in other than a feeling that it would grow.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I don't understand what happened to bridge deals
You know where I think a lot of these come from? Gms know they aren’t going to see the end of these deals.

They have 4 maybe 5 years to make their mark. So they go all in, hoard as much talent as possible and pray it works out.

If it doesn’t they just go to the next job and do it all over again

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Apples and oranges... Pastrnak's contract was only for 6 years, not 8 years... add the first 2 years of Pastrnak's next contract to his current contract and then see what it averages out to be.

Not sure you properly understand the phrase 'apples and oranges'. Two similarly regarded players from the same draft that played half seasons at 18 signed 2nd contracts near each other. The two years barely make a difference and if anything you could say that's another benefit for Boston.

One makes $40M over 6 years. The other makes $68M over 8 years.
Pastrnak would have to make $28M in those two years. Then Draisatl will be re-upped again to a third contract also or should we wash over that?

Plus there's a $1.8M difference in cap hits for 6 years.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Not sure you properly understand the phrase 'apples and oranges'. Two similarly regarded players from the same draft that played half seasons at 18 signed 2nd contracts near each other. The two years barely make a difference and if anything you could say that's another benefit for Boston.

One makes $40M over 6 years. The other makes $68M over 8 years.
Pastrnak would have to make $28M in those two years. Then Draisatl will be re-upped again to a third contract also or should we wash over that?

Plus there's a $1.8M difference in cap hits for 6 years.

I understand Apple and oranges just fine.

I would never argue that Drai’s contract is on equal terms with Pastrnak’s... Pastrnak’s is clearly better.

My argument is you are comparing a 6 year contract with an 8 year contract. Had Pastrnak’s received an 8 year contract his AAV would have been closer to $7.5AAV.

I am one of those Oiler fans who feel we did over pay Draisaitl by $500K to $1m per year but also don’t think overpaying Draisaitl is what got us in our current cap issues.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
For high end talent they rarely make sense. The value you can get on a 6-8 year deal taking a kid to his late 20s ensures you're going to get great value during his prime years. In some cases (like Nylander) a bridge deal might make sense if that's the only thing you can agree to, but otherwise they're really reserved for players who are still extremely hit-or-miss.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
most teams that have won the cup did so with low maintenance wingers. the pens, kings, blackhawks didnt need to sign their 4th best player to $8 million/year..

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I understand Apple and oranges just fine.

I would never argue that Drai’s contract is on equal terms with Pastrnak’s... Pastrnak’s is clearly better.

My argument is you are comparing a 6 year contract with an 8 year contract. Had Pastrnak’s received an 8 year contract his AAV would have been closer to $7.5AAV.

I am one of those Oiler fans who feel we did over pay Draisaitl by $500K to $1m per year but also don’t think overpaying Draisaitl is what got us in our current cap issues.
Pastrnak had worse stats, didn't have Drai's playoffs, plays a less valuable position, and like you say, he had more UFA years attached. Imo Drai's cash is fine and just reflects the growing cap. I would say he's overpaid by 500k AAV max, but that's just being charitable to his critics.

Like was mentioned, digging into history based on AAV is fruitless. You got to go with cap percentage, and by that measure Drai's deal is typical for a player like him, as a high end 2C that passes as a playoff-worthy 1C on many teams.

The other factor is the newest CBA's 8 year max. In the old CBA there were players getting huge salaries but with huge term that undercut the AAV. Deals from Malkin's 9.5 AAV on are the only true measure since then. People's jaws dropped when Kane and Toews got 10.5 AAV but like Malkin it was just the beginning of a more honest era.

Reactions: frag2 and zar

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I think the Subban situation showed how they can go wrong when you're dealing with a star.

Pastrnak had worse stats, didn't have Drai's playoffs, plays a less valuable position, and like you say, he had more UFA years attached. Imo Drai's cash is fine and just reflects the growing cap. I would say he's overpaid by 500k AAV max, but that's just being charitable to his critics.

Like was mentioned, digging into history based on AAV is fruitless. You got to go with cap percentage, and by that measure Drai's deal is typical for a player like him, as a high end 2C that passes as a playoff-worthy 1C on many teams.

The other factor is the newest CBA's 8 year max. In the old CBA there were players getting huge salaries but with huge term that undercut the AAV. Deals from Malkin's 9.5 AAV on are the only true measure since then. People's jaws dropped when Kane and Toews got 10.5 AAV but like Malkin it was just the beginning of a more honest era.
Perry and Getzlaf were the first IMO. I remember being blown away that they got so much.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Bold is the key. There's no firm information on what the cap might be until the December BoG meeting. Guys that signed a year early in July like McDavid and Crosby had no way of knowing what the cap would be when their deals kicked in other than a feeling that it would grow.

Do you really think the difference between an estimated on cap is all that substantial when compared with the final increase, in terms of cap%? We’d be talking max $100k. Your exercise in pedantry based on max contracts and suddenly pocket change differences here does not really help estimate Nylanders contract. This is mostly to tame those who think Nylander is going to get $8m because of some ridiculous notion of his contract not being comparable to ehlers because of cap increase.

Kreegz2

Dec 11, 2011
Tarasenko got 8 years/7.5 million per year in 2015 when the cap was 71 mil, so i guess he falls into the 10% of cap category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad