Prospect Info: Who should the Jets draft? COVID edition

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I wonder if we trade up with Buffalo to get him. For a piece like Roslovic. I still don't know why New Jersey passes up on Sanderson at 7. Not going to get the same quality of defensman at 17. But you can always get a scorer there or trade for one. LD is a total black hole in the Jersey lineup. Until Ty Smith gets to the team. And Buffalo who knows which way they go. Pick your hole? Seems like they could use help just about anywhere but at RD. Maybe they draft Perfetti at 8. I think they would shy away from Askarov because Buffalo doesn't keep their Russians too long.

I think someone will surprise and take Askarov high as well. Posting a .974 in 3 games in the KHL so far. Minny desperately needs a solid goalie prospect like Askarov.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I feel like he will go to Buffalo or Minnesota at this point. It will be interesting to see who falls because I can see Sanderson going earlier as well.
I've had a hunch for some time that it will be Holtz or Rossi falling to #10, if Lundell and Sanderson go in the top-9. There's a chance that Quinn goes top-9 too (though doubtful), but if he does then I wonder if Drysdale might drop to #10 (assuming Sanderson and Lundell go top-9). The other wild card is Askarov. If a team takes him top-9, that could really scramble things up. I'm expecting a few surprises, as there are every year, even though the top 9-10 rankings seem pretty stable this year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He's like a week away from being 19.
Still, being a very young 19-year old as the #1 C and top scorer on a Liiga team is very uncommon, especially for a player that's not supposed to have any upside.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Still, being a very young 19-year old as the #1 C and top scorer on a Liiga team is very uncommon, especially for a player that's not supposed to have any upside.

It's also not uncommon for players to tear a new one in Liiga these days. Why is it 17/18/19 year olds can completely decimate that league and 20 year olds struggle in the SHL? I think Liiga has been vastly watered down lately and it's making kids look a lot better than they may be. Pulju was destroying Liiga pre-eseason. Watch him come back and barely be a 4th liner in the NHL.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I've had a hunch for some time that it will be Holtz or Rossi falling to #10, if Lundell and Sanderson go in the top-9. There's a chance that Quinn goes top-9 too (though doubtful), but if he does then I wonder if Drysdale might drop to #10 (assuming Sanderson and Lundell go top-9). The other wild card is Askarov. If a team takes him top-9, that could really scramble things up. I'm expecting a few surprises, as there are every year, even though the top 9-10 rankings seem pretty stable this year.

Yeah it seems like top 3 are a lock; Laf, Stutzle, Byfield with the later two maybe swapping order. Then it completely opens up with Detroits pick. Yzerman could go off board again and all the sudden there is a wrench in everything.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's also not uncommon for players to tear a new one in Liiga these days. Why is it 17/18/19 year olds can completely decimate that league and 20 year olds struggle in the SHL? I think Liiga has been vastly watered down lately and it's making kids look a lot better than they may be. Pulju was destroying Liiga pre-eseason. Watch him come back and barely be a 4th liner in the NHL.
It's not that simple. Liiga has been watered down somewhat, but it's still uncommon for very young players to excel, unless they are good. PJ is probably a lot better than he looked with the Oilers. They have a habit of making prospects look really bad.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's not that simple. Liiga has been watered down somewhat, but it's still uncommon for very young players to excel, unless they are good. PJ is probably a lot better than he looked with the Oilers. They have a habit of making prospects look really bad.

I wouldn't say its that uncommon. A 22 year old, 22 year old, 19 year old and 20 year old were the 4 highest scoring players in Liiga preseason.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Lapierre with another goal in tonight's preseason game. It was a beauty short handed tally:

Heard almost every NHL team had scouts in attendence for this game. 35 scouts total. Granted both Mercer and Borque were playing but I'm guessing that he will generate some heavy attention with his play.

Reactions: surixon

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I think this year sets up for possibly that Broberg or Rasmussen type reach in the top 10 too. Both those guys were not in the top 10 that year. There are kids like Guhle, Lapierre, Schneider, Zary, Jarvis etc that teams could easily fall in love with.

we will know soon enough.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think this year sets up for possibly that Broberg or Rasmussen type reach in the top 10 too. Both those guys were not in the top 10 that year. There are kids like Guhle, Lapierre, Schneider, Zary, Jarvis etc that teams could easily fall in love with.

we will know soon enough.
I think Quinn, Askarov, Lundell and maybe Jarvis are potential top 9 picks. If two of them go in the top 9, we are possibly looking at Holtz or Rossi or Drysdale at #10.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I think Quinn, Askarov, Lundell and maybe Jarvis are potential top 9 picks. If two of them go in the top 9, we are possibly looking at Holtz or Rossi or Drysdale at #10.

I would love for this to happen. My guess is Drysdale will be gone, but I could see Holtz or Rossi being available

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
IMO at least Rossi could turn out to be the magic gold piece. He is my second hopeful faller after Drysdale.

I think Rossi could make out to be a potentially good C. If he's on the board at #10 I'd be happy.

Reactions: KingBogo

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'll be doing cartwheels in my living room if we pick Lapierre, Rossi or Lundell.

I would also call it a great day if we got Drysdale.

Any other pick is a missed opportunity.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I wonder if a team takes a chance on Quinn in the top 9? 50g in your draft year, even with a late birthday, is not common and could be highly sought after.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I could definitely see Quinn go before our pick. Holtz, Jarvis, Raymond and Perfetti could be missing some appeal to a team with a size fetish.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Not sure if it’s been mentioned in these draft threads, but Braden Schneider’s coach is Dave Lowry, Adam’s dad. And Schneider also grew up watching a lot of Morrissey in Prince Albert. So there’s definitely a few Jets connections for him.

2020 Draft Prospect Profile: Braden Schneider

For me - I’m leaning Schneider or Lapierre (barring Doctor recommendations) at #10.

Reactions: untouchable21

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm still all in on Lapierre. He seems to me the best possible fit in the draft.

I think I would be okay with him if higher options on my list don't drop. Right now I have him a spot lower than Jarvis. Who I have at 9. So 10th seems about right provided he continues to play like he has.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think I would be okay with him if higher options on my list don't drop. Right now I have him a spot lower than Jarvis. Who I have at 9. So 10th seems about right provided he continues to play like he has.
So what is your current top 10 list Dax? And who do you see as the most likely fallers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad