Prospect Info: Who should the Jets draft? COVID edition

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I’d be surprised if we go for Lapierre due to the risk. Athletic has us choosing from Sanderson, Quinn, Mercer or Lundell (with one of those already taken by Minnesota).

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
My gut keeps telling me Quinn is the guy they're eyeing. I think it's due to him being such a riser. I know he doesn't play a position we need atm but as they say, "always go BPA and figure it out later." Just a feeling I have. This offseason and draft in particular are definitely going to be interesting. I for one welcome a bunch of league wide moves. I just hope they have close ups of the GM's faces at the draft. Might get some golden pic's / gif's

Reactions: Scheifele55

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My gut keeps telling me Quinn is the guy they're eyeing. I think it's due to him being such a riser. I know he doesn't play a position we need atm but as they say, "always go BPA and figure it out later." Just a feeling I have. This offseason and draft in particular are definitely going to be interesting. I for one welcome a bunch of league wide moves. I just hope they have close ups of the GM's faces at the draft. Might get some golden pic's / gif's
I'd be fine with Quinn at #10. I think he's a legit goal scorer, but he also plays hard in all zones.

Reactions: voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
No , No, Lets take the absolute best player available and then say trade him at 22 years old. :naughty:

Well when drafted Trouba we probably should have traded him at 22. 24 at the latest.

Quinn is the type of goal scorer to replace Laine with in the draft.

A lot of talk about Sanderson falling to us. Well that would put our defense in a pretty good position in a couple of years, would affect free agent signings too.

Lundell didn't have a great preseason. Apparently Lapierre did, but you don't draft players based on preseason.

For the grammar police, I believe it should be "edition."

Wait and see now.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Well when drafted Trouba we probably should have traded him at 22. 24 at the latest.

Quinn is the type of goal scorer to replace Laine with in the draft.

A lot of talk about Sanderson falling to us. Well that would put our defense in a pretty good position in a couple of years, would affect free agent signings too.

Lundell didn't have a great preseason. Apparently Lapierre did, but you don't draft players based on preseason.

For the grammar police, I believe it should be "edition."

Wait and see now.
I'm totally fine with how Chevy dealt with Trouba , we had a good team and we kept him at a cost controlled contract for as long as we could. Trouba said he wanted to be traded, Laine hasn't said anything like that but we want to trade a 22 year old big scoring winger because he might cost us too much and he's not good defensively. I personally think Laine has made great strides in his defensive game and is worth at least Wheeler money.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I'd be fine with Quinn at #10. I think he's a legit goal scorer, but he also plays hard in all zones.

If they do go for another winger once again, then yeah, I have no problem with it being Quinn or Jarvis.

For me it’s still in this order of preference

Sanderson
Lapierre/Lundell
Guhle/Schneider
Quinn/Jarvis

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm totally fine with how Chevy dealt with Trouba , we had a good team and we kept him at a cost controlled contract for as long as we could. Trouba said he wanted to be traded, Laine hasn't said anything like that but we want to trade a 22 year old big scoring winger because he might cost us too much and he's not good defensively. I personally think Laine has made great strides in his defensive game and is worth at least Wheeler money.

If we trade Laine, it's probably because he is not happy being behind Wheeler, like Trouba wasn't happy being behind Buff. I don't think he gets traded because of his play, as he has made strides.

I think these kids are too entitled. You listen to Bryan Little talk, and he says I'll play wherever I can help the team. Where are those guys, especially amongst the younger players.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I think when Sanderson goes before us I will have a brief moment of disappointment. I remember feeling the same way in 2016 when four D Men I really liked were still on the board when Boston hit the podium at #14 and picked McAvoy, then Chychrun went at #16 and Fabbro went at #17 and all the dominos fell that I wanted. Now on the other hand I had the opposite feeling with Trouba, Ehlers, and Connor as they fell to us.

Either way I would be happy with Quinn. Kid is a heart and soul type and can seemingly score in almost every way possible. Right now it doesn’t seem like a position of need but trust the process and draft BPA.

Reactions: DRC

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If we trade Laine, it's probably because he is not happy being behind Wheeler, like Trouba wasn't happy being behind Buff. I don't think he gets traded because of his play, as he has made strides.

I think these kids are too entitled. You listen to Bryan Little talk, and he says I'll play wherever I can help the team. Where are those guys, especially amongst the younger players.
Trouba wasn't happy because he and his girlfriend didn't want to be in Winnipeg and his girlfriend had a career going in the U.S , that and being paired with Stuart. :laugh: Not everyone is the same though for example i've never heard Ehlers complain about ice time or Connor when he got sent to the Moose. To be honest i haven't heard Laine complain that much either, we are assuming he's not happy behind Wheeler, i would be too because i think Laine has become the better option now over Wheeler on the #1 line. Note i said now though.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Trouba wasn't happy because he and his girlfriend didn't want to be in Winnipeg and his girlfriend had a career going in the U.S , that and being paired with Stuart. :laugh: Not everyone is the same though for example i've never heard Ehlers complain about ice time or Connor when he got sent to the Moose. To be honest i haven't heard Laine complain that much either, we are assuming he's not happy behind Wheeler, i would be too because i think Laine has become the better option now over Wheeler on the #1 line. Note i said now though.

I thought Stuart and Trouba was a solid pairing to start. Probably the best guy we had to bring him up. I was watching that Anaheim series the other day, and they were our best pairing in that playoff. Chiarot/Pardy struggled with Buff. Enstrom wasn't great with Myers. Toby still has the distinction of posting a big 0 in his playoff time here. Trouba had a chance to move up, paired with Buff, and complained about it. We developed Morrissey-Trouba, and got a few good moments out of Buff-Myers in the 2018 playoffs, which helped. But inevitably he was never happy here, didn't matter about his gf. Remember we had to hire his brother in a mysterious position to keep him here early in his career.

I don't think we have to be top loaded. The combination of Laine-Ehlers is pretty good, gives us a 1-2 punch. Which should be our strength. Maybe we could play Laine a full shift on the PP to truly make him happy, but he's not starting on the 4th line like Ehlers did in 2017/2018, when we found Perreault-Little-Laine to be more effective of a 2nd line. I mean he is still in a good position, assuming we find a centre in the offseason.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

Re: Trouba asking to be traded - I don't know if you mean publicly or privately, because he didn't say anything publicly. He just kept saying other stuff like usage, playing his off side, etc.

I'm just glad he's gone.

I'm hoping a C becomes available, but wouldn't mind if Sanderson is there.

Depending on how things fall, I could be ok with trading down too.

Reactions: voyageur

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Wheeler wasn't a choir boy back then i believe. Based on some of his interviews , he is very emotional. (Is Laine emotional also? I think so.)

Buff has massive ego. He just walked out of the Jets right?

Can it be also that these 2 don't like to be outshine?

Maybe Trouba and Laine from your perspectice are feeling entitled.
There are always 2 sides to the story.
Most young guys when up against the vets will just put their tails behind their legs. There are those who will stand up.
I don't think thats being entitled. They just want to get their point across. And the vets doesn't like it.
These happens all the time not just in hockey.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Wheeler wasn't a choir boy back then i believe. Based on some of his interviews , he is very emotional. (Is Laine emotional also? I think so.)

Buff has massive ego. He just walked out of the Jets right?

Can it be also that these 2 don't like to be outshine?

Maybe Trouba and Laine from your perspectice are feeling entitled.
There are always 2 sides to the story.
Most young guys when up against the vets will just put their tails behind their legs. There are those who will stand up.
I don't think thats being entitled. They just want to get their point across. And the vets doesn't like it.
These happens all the time not just in hockey.

Wheeler definitely has an attitude. I was listening to an interview Maurice had about this team, and he described him as the alpha male. But a guy who is always on your side, as a teammate.

Buff did walk away, and no one will ever know the reason why. I think there is an internal component but that's just speculation.

All players should have egos. That's part of being good, is knowing that your are good, and wanting to be good.

I just don't like when players come out publicly and dictate where they should be played. That undermines your coach, first and foremost. And that reeks of entitlement. You play your best no matter who you play with, that's what a team player does. And you win as a team. Not an individual, some players never learn that lesson.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Wheeler definitely has an attitude. I was listening to an interview Maurice had about this team, and he described him as the alpha male. But a guy who is always on your side, as a teammate.

Buff did walk away, and no one will ever know the reason why. I think there is an internal component but that's just speculation.

All players should have egos. That's part of being good, is knowing that your are good, and wanting to be good.

I just don't like when players come out publicly and dictate where they should be played. That undermines your coach, first and foremost. And that reeks of entitlement. You play your best no matter who you play with, that's what a team player does. And you win as a team. Not an individual, some players never learn that lesson.

Im ok with your answer. :thumbu:

2 key things.

1st) This is for the word you mentioned not Wheeler.
Alpha male is never the one who will be on side of all his team mates, he will push away people that dont follow him religiously. Its a strongman's mentally. Its not a characteristic of a great leader.

Now is Wheeler an Alpha male or a great leader?

2nd)
Laine wanted to play more minutes. That what is his main point.
He said he can't score from the bench. He was playing 16.5 mins a game after that season.
He would like to be playing with the best players, he also said that ( who doesn't) . But his main point was his minutes.

Going back to the topic

Sandersson
Perfetti
If a reach Zary

But Raymond is my pick. He wont last after 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Psych0dad

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
Personally I'd prefer Sanderson. It would really set up our D core nicely for the next 5+ years. If he is gone, trade back and pick up an extra asset if possible.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I'd be pretty happy with Jarvis too, on our 10th draft, getting a Winnipeg born player, who could play his whole career here, would be a nice change.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If they do go for another winger once again, then yeah, I have no problem with it being Quinn or Jarvis.

For me it’s still in this order of preference

Sanderson
Lapierre/Lundell
Guhle/Schneider
Quinn/Jarvis

I have Jarvis in my top 10. No creates offence like him. He just drives play plain and simple. Defneisvely he leaves a lot to be desired at this point but he drives offence like an Ehlers. And Ehlers would be an easy top 10 pick in this draft. Lappiere based on talent alone is in that tier as well.

Reactions: untouchable21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->