Prospect Info: Who should the Jets draft? COVID edition

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I'd be pretty happy with Jarvis too, on our 10th draft, getting a Winnipeg born player, who could play his whole career here, would be a nice change.

You think being born here makes him more likely to want to spend his whole career here? If anything, I think his response to hearing the Jets call his name is probably a filterable word. I mean, a lot of people don't like Winnipeg, but I think you have to be a Winnipegger to really hate it. :nod:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You think being born here makes him more likely to want to spend his whole career here? If anything, I think his response to hearing the Jets call his name is probably a filterable word. I mean, a lot of people don't like Winnipeg, but I think you have to be a Winnipegger to really hate it. :nod:

Well I laughed out loud thanks. I don't know what to say to that. He could end up in Edmonton:laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Don't be surprised if this pick gets talked about being traded. If Askarov is still around

Yea I have had a good argument with myself on both sides of this topic :laugh:. Its funny because whenever I say never on draft day the Jets surprise me and trading down would surprise based on TNSE's history so you can pretty much set your watch on it happening.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Lots of goalies are going to be on the market this off-season.

Yea but Askarov is possibly one of those once in every 10 years type goalie prospect from what I have read by the goalie experts. I could see an org trading up if they believed as strongly in him as many of the scouts.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
My gut keeps telling me Quinn is the guy they're eyeing. I think it's due to him being such a riser. I know he doesn't play a position we need atm but as they say, "always go BPA and figure it out later." Just a feeling I have. This offseason and draft in particular are definitely going to be interesting. I for one welcome a bunch of league wide moves. I just hope they have close ups of the GM's faces at the draft. Might get some golden pic's / gif's

I hope the Jets go this route if no other player slips in the draft. I have read about his great improvement which reminds me of Scheifele in his draft year, and his goal scoring at such a young age

Reactions: DRC

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yea but Askarov is possibly one of those once in every 10 years type goalie prospect from what I have read by the goalie experts. I could see an org trading up if they believed as strongly in him as many of the scouts.

Yes, they believe that an organization is going to overpay to move up to get Askarov. I could see the Jets moving down if the package is enticing.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

I 100% disagree. If I was a NHLer, I would WANT to be drafted by the Winnipeg Jets. If I was a NCAA player, I would only sign with the Winnipeg Jets once my college career is over. If I was the greatest hockey player in hockey history, I would sign with the Winnipeg Jets on a contract that allows me to retire comfortably. The NHLPA would hate me.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Don't be surprised if this pick gets talked about being traded. If Askarov is still around
I like that... wouldn't be a bad idea to trade down, especially if Sanderson is gone. I think the draft flattens out from around #10-15.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I 100% disagree. If I was a NHLer, I would WANT to be drafted by the Winnipeg Jets. If I was a NCAA player, I would only sign with the Winnipeg Jets once my college career is over. If I was the greatest hockey player in hockey history, I would sign with the Winnipeg Jets on a contract that allows me to retire comfortably. The NHLPA would hate me.

I'd go wherever the best food is. Is there a team in New Orleans yet?

Reactions: DRC

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I think the Jet's will need some cost controlled players - I don't think it would be wise to give up our picks and if anything I think it would be nice if we could gain a few, even in the later rounds.

Reactions: Whileee

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

Interesting. Which teams would be interested in Askarov I wonder? And would they have assets we would be interested in?

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think the Jet's will need some cost controlled players - I don't think it would be wise to give up our picks and if anything I think it would be nice if we could gain a few, even in the later rounds.

The Jets are conceivably adding Heinola, Samberg, and Gustaffsson for more cost control.

Reactions: boydkc

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Re: Trouba asking to be traded - I don't know if you mean publicly or privately, because he didn't say anything publicly. He just kept saying other stuff like usage, playing his off side, etc.

I'm just glad he's gone.

I'm hoping a C becomes available, but wouldn't mind if Sanderson is there.

Depending on how things fall, I could be ok with trading down too.

There just aren't that many great centres in this draft class. We needed a higher pick last year. That was the year of the C. 5 of the first 9 were C's who project to be 1C's, every second pick and then a couple more at 16, 17.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You don't think Jets would go after the goalie, surely?

Our still young(ish) goalie just won the Vezina, fer chrisesake. We have 3 goalies in the system showing promise.

Edit: :laugh: You mean trading down with someone who wants Askarov. Of course. :facepalm:

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

This mock has Carolina taking him at 13. Edmonton has 14 and a big need for a goalie. Chicago picks at 17 and really needs a goalie. I would not want to trade down that far for any less than their next year's first. Or ......... maybe Strome?

2020 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

Generally, I don't like the idea of trading down from a high first. There would need to be no one I like still available and that is not going to happen. If I'm guessing that the guy I like will still be available later, I am not going to risk it. Just take him and run.

Last edited:
Reactions: ps241

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

:laugh:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The Hurricanes, Oilers, Leafs, Canadiens, Blackhawks amongst others lower in the draft need to acquire a goalie of the future. Crawford is 35, Price is 33.

Canadiens have Cayden Primeau, who had quite a distinguished college career, and looks to be an NHL starter down the road. Probably one of the best goalie prospects out there.

If it is Quinn True North really like, he should be there at 10. Might not be there at 11. For the Hawks a goalie in Askarov would be all they have to build on, once Toews, Kane, and Keith have moved on by the time he is NHL ready. Oilers will continue to build mediocre goaltending in front of star players until eternity, though maybe they sign Brayden Holtby this year. Devils, Sabres or Wild might take him off the board before anyone gets a chance to trade with us.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Canadiens have Cayden Primeau, who had quite a distinguished college career, and looks to be an NHL starter down the road. Probably one of the best goalie prospects out there.

If it is Quinn True North really like, he should be there at 10. Might not be there at 11. For the Hawks a goalie in Askarov would be all they have to build on, once Toews, Kane, and Keith have moved on by the time he is NHL ready. Oilers will continue to build mediocre goaltending in front of star players until eternity, though maybe they sign Brayden Holtby this year. Devils, Sabres or Wild might take him off the board before anyone gets a chance to trade with us.

Sabres have the Finnish goalie. Wild makes sense especially with Kaprizov on his way.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Sabres have the Finnish goalie. Wild makes sense especially with Kaprizov on his way.

I think the Devils makes sense too because they are also sitting on #17, and they could probably flip it for Gaudreau. As I think the Flames are going to get a tuneup this year, maybe add Hall and Markstrom.

If there is an organization that knows about winning from the goalie out, it's the Devils. And Russians like playing in New York City.

Should not be a ho hum draft this year, expect to hear a few trade announcements.

Reactions: BlakeScheifehlaine

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This mock has Carolina taking him at 13. Edmonton has 14 and a big need for a goalie. Chicago picks at 17 and really needs a goalie. I would not want to trade down that far for any less than their next year's first. Or ......... maybe Strome?

Generally, I don't like the idea of trading down from a high first. There would need to be no one I like still available and that is not going to happen. If I'm guessing that the guy I like will still be available later, I am not going to risk it. Just take him and run.

The add would have to be big and the Jets would need to perceive they are in a tier of prospects that are close enough together to exploit the situation. In a draft where we only have 4 picks I understand the temptation to add an additional 2nd round pick. However, I believe the chances are greater the Jets have someone fall to them at #10 they value highly.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Only way i move the pick and move down is if im offered a guy like Strome from Chicago or a Pesce from Carolina. Edmonton has nothing of interest to me. Ofcourse that's player plus that teams 1st.
If Sanderson or another top F (other than Lundell) isn't available at #10, then I think the Jets would be smart to move down to #13 in return for a 2nd round pick from Carolina. It would be good value for the Jets overall, and there's a good chance they would get a player very high on their draft board as well. Think about this sequence, based on McKenzie's list...

1 Lafreniere
2 Byfield
3 Stutzle
4 Perfetti
5 Drysdale
6 Raymond
7 Sanderson
8 Rossi
9 Holtz
10 Askarov (Jets trade down to #13)
11 Quinn
12 Lundell
13 Jets have a choice of Mercer, Guhle, Lapierre, Jarvis, Schneider, Amirov, Zary, Reichel, etc.

Unless the Jets have a strong preference for Quinn and/or Lundell over that group, then they really don't lose that much. Also, there's a chance that even if they do trade down and like Quinn or Lundell, one or both of them might still be available at #13.

What do the Jets gain? Well, some players that might be available in the 2nd round at Carolina's picks #41 or #53.

From McKenzie:

upload_2020-9-22_18-21-9.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad