Prospect Info: Who should the Jets draft? COVID edition

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This draft is going to be so damn weird. We already have kids in the Q and Europe basically starting their D+1 seasons. Askarov has a .974 in 3 starts in the KHL. Lundell had a bit of a disappointing Liiga preseason. Lappiere had a great QMJHL pre-season and looks like he's back in form so far. Raymond hit the ground running in SHL pre-season.

All this while many kids are still in limbo in their own leagues. While others like Lafreniere are opting out of playing junior entirely.

Reactions: ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This draft is going to be so damn weird. We already have kids in the Q and Europe basically starting their D+1 seasons. Askarov has a .974 in 3 starts in the KHL. Lundell had a bit of a disappointing Liiga preseason. Lappiere had a great QMJHL pre-season and looks like he's back in form so far. Raymond hit the ground running in SHL pre-season.

All this while many kids are still in limbo in their own leagues. While others like Lafreniere are opting out of playing junior entirely.
Actually, Lundell has had a very strong pre-season in Liiga. 1st line C, PP and PK, leads team in scoring.

upload_2020-9-23_17-43-23.png

Nice assist today...

Reactions: lanky and voyageur

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Actually, Lundell has had a very strong pre-season in Liiga. 1st line C, PP and PK, leads team in scoring.

View attachment 368625

Nice assist today...

That's weird, someone posted earlier he was struggling. Well I guess you should never take someone's word for it.

Edit: Also is that Finnish guy's last name Swedish?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's weird, someone posted earlier he was struggling. Well I guess you should never take someone's word for it.

I think that if anything, Lundell has strengthened his draft position somewhat. At 18 years old it looks like he's the #1C on a Liiga team, and has led the team in scoring through 10 pre-season games (for whatever that's worth).

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think that if anything, Lundell has strengthened his draft position somewhat. At 18 years old it looks like he's the #1C on a Liiga team, and has led the team in scoring through 10 pre-season games (for whatever that's worth).

That's weird that whatever site your looking at changed Arttu Routsalainen's name to Arttu Swedish. And Joona Ikonen to Jonah Icon.

But yeah I would have to agree he looks like he might be improving his stock as well. Much like Lappiere, it's still preseason but lots of kids might be jumping up the rankings. With the way Askarov, Lappiere, Lundell, Raymond and others have been playing the draft landscape might change quite a bit. Lafreniere is still a lock for #1, so unlikely he even attempts to play in the Q. DEL doesn't start until November so we won't see Stutzle in action until then. Byfield, Rossi, Perfetti and Drysdale won't be playing until December, as well as the WHL won't be starting up until December.Most NCAA conferences aren't slated to start until January so guys like Sanderson will be out until at least next year.

This is going to be weird with some kids basically starting their D+1 seasons before the draft even starts while others will be forced to sit out and not improve their stock before the draft.

Reactions: ps241 and voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I posted that he wasn't having a good preseason. And that was based on his Corsi going down below 50%, though it has gone up since I posted that. If he's the #1 centre, and he's already been given an A at 18 on a men's club, there's some positive signs.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I think both Lundell (check his NHLe production) and Lapierre (check doz skillz) have 1C potential. I wouldn't say the odds are super high that either makes it there but the potential is there. I'm really excited about having a chance to draft one of these kids.

Also - I'm pessimistic about OHL/WHL having a season, so it's great that Lundell and Lapierre are getting to play.

Reactions: untouchable21

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I agree Lundell’s fast start (although I don’t trust pre-season) could drive up his stock. I do think the Wild grab him one pick before us.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I agree Lundell’s fast start (although I don’t trust pre-season) could drive up his stock. I do think the Wild grab him one pick before us.

He might even go higher at this point. He's big, a center and producing. If he hits the ground running when Liiga regular season starts. I think Ottawa might swing for him at 5, heck Detroit might want him at 4. Ducks probably want a big center to build around. Buffalo needs a 2C so bad they might even take him at 8. With Askarov playing so well maybe a team swings hard on him too. The draft is going to get weird. The scouting is not done yet.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Perfetti would be interesting. I see him more as a winger at the NHL level. I just don't think he has the overall skating in his game to really excel as a center at the NHL level. That could change but I'll play the odds and say it's more likely he ends up as a LW in the NHL. His production really soared when Saginaw moved him to the wing.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Perfetti would be a very nice pick-up. Likely BPA, even if he's a winger. Ehlers can flip over to RW. I'm still of the opinion that Wheeler can be an effective 2C for a few of years.

Reactions: bennylundholm

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Perfetti would be a very nice pick-up. Likely BPA, even if he's a winger. Ehlers can flip over to RW. I'm still of the opinion that Wheeler can be an effective 2C for a few of years.

I don't think he wants to be regardless of our thoughts on it. They only go to him when in desperation mode. Perfetti likely needs another season of junior before I'd bring him in. Start him off on the wing and give him 9 games to see what he can do. He's a New Years baby so he misses the AHL send down date by 1 day, which means if he can't hack it in his D+1 or +2 then he's going back to junior. He's small, has decent top end speed but lacks the foot speed to be as effective as he is in junior right IMO. He'll need to continue to work on that if he wants to be able to do the things he can in junior at the NHL level. Has a damn good shot though. Really strong on the cycle so I think he could fit in well with a Connor - Scheif - Pefetti kind of line. He's not big but he can handle physicality. He'll still need to bulk up a bit while maintaining his skating to be really effective.

You look at player in his size range that are effective NHLers and they all have good footspeed so that will be key to him being a premier player at the NHL level. Marchand, Point, Kane, Tatar, Schwartz, Domi, Keller.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He lost a bit of my trust trading up for Stanley.

To be fair it sound like the war room was really divided on that pick. My guess is the old guard wanted him because he might be the next chara and the young guard said yeah friggin right and I might be the next queen of England. And the group with more power in the room won.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Chevy was on the hunt for JAKOB CHYCHRUN who was tumbling down the draft latter and Stanley was the fall back guy. He may still work out like Ben Chiarot did.

He is only in the AHL because he turned 21. He doesn’t even belong there

He fights and hits hard though, that might be enough to make the jets with our current group..... in a few more years

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lundell has had a big pre-season in Liiga. He's now the #1C on his team and is 3rd in Liiga pre-season scoring (7 goals 6 assists in 11 games). He's also at 55% in Corsi share and 60% on face-offs. Not bad for an 18-year old with no offensive talent.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Lundell has had a big pre-season in Liiga. He's now the #1C on his team and is 3rd in Liiga pre-season scoring (7 goals 6 assists in 11 games). He's also at 55% in Corsi share and 60% on face-offs. Not bad for an 18-year old with no offensive talent.

I feel like he will go to Buffalo or Minnesota at this point. It will be interesting to see who falls because I can see Sanderson going earlier as well.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I feel like he will go to Buffalo or Minnesota at this point. It will be interesting to see who falls because I can see Sanderson going earlier as well.

I wonder if we trade up with Buffalo to get him. For a piece like Roslovic. I still don't know why New Jersey passes up on Sanderson at 7. Not going to get the same quality of defensman at 17. But you can always get a scorer there or trade for one. LD is a total black hole in the Jersey lineup. Until Ty Smith gets to the team. And Buffalo who knows which way they go. Pick your hole? Seems like they could use help just about anywhere but at RD. Maybe they draft Perfetti at 8. I think they would shy away from Askarov because Buffalo doesn't keep their Russians too long.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

He's like a week away from being 19.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad