Management Who should the Bruins protect at the expansion draft?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I protect both over Ritchie twice on Sunday

why? Ritchie has been pretty damn good. Tbh i wouldnt be surprised if sweeeny offers debrusk and a 6th or something to protect lauzon. Even if debrusk has a good playoffs i think management is down on debrusk the person more so than the player

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
What three defense are protected:???

McAvoy : I think we can all agree is a given

Carlo : I think most would agree should be protected

Grzelcyk: ? Nice Skater, usually makes a nice first pass, undersized .Used very little to not at all on the PK. Used on the PP. Extremely limited physically. Contract status three more years at $ 3,687,500 age 27 close to reaching or has reached his potential as a NHL player. UFA at Contract end.

Lauzon: a ? solid but not spectacular all around D-man . Playing basically his first year at the NHL , has played limited games prior to this year. His offensive potential at the moment has not been determined , hopefully he will contribute more with more experience. Plays a strong physical game . Still a player very much growing into his NHL game. Led the Bruins in PK time, not used on PP. Contract status $850,000 one year remaining. RFA at contract end.

Clifton would be fifth IMO ;

To me the only question is who has more value to the Bruins starting next season and over the next several years Grzelcyk, or Lauzon ??? The playoffs will help with determining this I know

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass

Grzelcyk: ? Nice Skater, usually makes a nice first pass, undersized .Used very little to not at all on the PK. Used on the PP. Extremely limited physically. Contract status three more years at $ 3,687,500 age 27 close to reaching or has reached his potential as a NHL player. UFA at Contract end.

Lauzon: a ? solid but not spectacular all around D-man . Playing basically his first year at the NHL , has played limited games prior to this year. His offensive potential at the moment has not been determined , hopefully he will contribute more with more experience. Plays a strong physical game . Still a player very much growing into his NHL game. Led the Bruins in PK time, not used on PP. Contract status $850,000 one year remaining. RFA at contract end.

To me the only question is who has more value to the Bruins starting next season and over the next several years Grzelcyk, or Lauzon ??? The playoffs will help with determining this I know
I go with Lauzon. Plus if they take Grizz u can use some of that money on Hall and DK

Olden McGroin

Aug 1, 2009

I protect Lauzon, need his physicality once Kevan Miller is done.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

For my money, I think Gryz is better than Carlo. I'd rather have him on my team at this point as a player, and when you factor in Carlo's health issues, even more so.

Goes without saying I think Gryz is miles better than Lauzon.

Reactions: Number8

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I hate to say it, but Carlo might one guy I expose on D. I don't for a second believe he is anywhere near returning. Players coming back from a significant concussion who then get hit and have a hard time moving one side of their body is not good at all.

He's had two big head hits this season - very close together. Might have even had a smaller third one in between.

Obviously I am hoping he heals up fully and quickly (for next season -- it would be insane to play him against a team like Tampa if we get through Isles).

However, it would be a ballsy move of Seattle to pick him if we left him exposed. They know that he'd be a great pick for them and they'd also know the only reason Boston put him on the list.

Might let us protect another guy and still keep Carlo and hope he heals up.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd still protect Ritchie hoping that some stupid team will give us something halfway decent for him.

There are only 7 signed forwards on this team even worth protecting, and Ritchie is one of them. Even if it's just for his trade value. Same with Debrusk. Whether one likes either player or despises them, both are still young and would have trade value across the NHL.

The rest of the forward group? There is nothing there worth worrying about at all despite what the Trent Frederic fanboys will tell you.

Reactions: RoccoF14

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There are only 7 signed forwards on this team even worth protecting, and Ritchie is one of them. Even if it's just for his trade value. Same with Debrusk. Whether one likes either player or despises them, both are still young and would have trade value across the NHL.

The rest of the forward group? There is nothing there worth worrying about at all despite what the Trent Frederic fanboys will tell you.

And Ritchie is not signed. He is a RFA.

You have to lose something in the expansion draft. If I could make that something Nick Ritchie, I'd be ecstatic, but I can't imagine anyway the Seattle team passus up one of the young defenseman for Ritchie.

I've also said before, but this playoffs have reinforced. Ritchie is a RFA, and if he is not lost or traded, there is a very limited price I would be willing to pay him. His Base salary was 2 million this year (yes cap hit was lower). Honestly at 2 million for a 3rd liner who can't skate is a tough price to pay, and I imagine his agent will be looking for a new contract that starts with a 3, and there is no way I go there. I'd rather spend that money towards finding this offseasons Smith

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
And Ritchie is not signed. He is a RFA.

You have to lose something in the expansion draft. If I could make that something Nick Ritchie, I'd be ecstatic, but I can't imagine anyway the Seattle team passus up one of the young defenseman for Ritchie.

I've also said before, but this playoffs have reinforced. Ritchie is a RFA, and if he is not lost or traded, there is a very limited price I would be willing to pay him. His Base salary was 2 million this year (yes cap hit was lower). Honestly at 2 million for a 3rd liner who can't skate is a tough price to pay, and I imagine his agent will be looking for a new contract that starts with a 3, and there is no way I go there. I'd rather spend that money towards finding this offseasons Smith

Then qualify him and trade him then. They could qualify him and easily trade him for a 2nd rounder. Don't expose him just to protect a less-valuable asset.

Bruins as it stands if the protect the clear-cut 7 forwards and 3 D (yes it's clear-cut to me who they will protect), won't lose anyone of any significance, one of the few teams who won't be impacted much by expansion.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Then qualify him and trade him then. They could qualify him and easily trade him for a 2nd rounder. Don't expose him just to protect a less-valuable asset.

Bruins as it stands if the protect the clear-cut 7 forwards and 3 D (yes it's clear-cut to me who they will protect), won't lose anyone of any significance, one of the few teams who won't be impacted much by expansion.

If there is a NHL team willing to deal a 2nd round pick for Nick ritchie than that should be the fastest deal made in NHL history

Reactions: Estlin

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Bergeron
Marchand
Pasta
Smith
Coyle
Frederic

McAvoy
Grz
Carlo

Vladar

Likely chosen by Kraken
- Lauzon or Zboril

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
A year ago it was Danton Heinen, and honestly no reason to believe it has increased.

Actually yeah there is. Whether one likes Ritchie or despises him, he was on pace for 20 goals, 40 points and 150 hits. I did a post a month or so ago and guys who can post 20 goals/150 hits aren't that common. He came to camp at least moving better and clearly lost some weight. His stock is up not down from the previous year.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Actually yeah there is. Whether one likes Ritchie or despises him, he was on pace for 20 goals, 40 points and 150 hits. I did a post a month or so ago and guys who can post 20 goals/150 hits aren't that common. He came to camp at least moving better and clearly lost some weight. His stock is up not down from the previous year.
This is undeniable, and I say that not just because last year he was 100% useless.

He was a very good regular season player this season. Much improved. Now the question is - does his newfound level of slow reflect an inability to compete at playoff pace, has he somehow reverted to the lazy sack he was last year, is he hurt, etc? To me you gotta find the answer to that question.

Reactions: BruinDust

Babajingo

Going into this, you know you’re going to lose a good player. Only deal I’d consider is adding a 2nd to take John Moore. It won’t happen and that’s fine but my point is that I would prefer they don’t make some deal and still lose a good piece. You’re adding onto the inevitable anyway.

8P/1G = Bergeron, Pastrnak, Marchand, Coyle, McAvoy, Carlo, and Zboril/Lauzon (idk which yet). Vladar as the goalie, unless TR40 re-signed.

7F/3D/1G = Bergeron, Pastrnak, Marchand, Coyle, Ritchie, Smith, DeBrusk. McAvoy, Carlo, and Zboril/Lauzon. Vladar as the goalie, unless TR40 re-signed.

Easily going with 10 skaters here. That’s just me and I’m sure many others haha

Pray like hell they take Grzelyck over whichever is exposed between Lauzon/Zboril but i seriously doubt it. Grzelyck’s poor season is plummeting that idea and Seattle would be dumb to not take one of the young D.

Won’t be the first or last time I say this, but man: f*** expansion drafts. Absolutely bone 30 other teams out of potentially good players they have drafted, developed, and/or traded/signed. I hate it.
I think Mr. Burns gets a cool ~20 mill from the expansion. I'm sure he is fine with losing an employee or two. Gotta remember, it all comes down to $$.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Ritchie was coming into his own and producing a little bit with Krejci and Smith as well as collecting points by parking in front of the net on the PP.

Then we got Hall so he got bumped down to the 3rd line, then we revamped the PP to get Krejci back on as a distributor on the high boards so Ritchie got relegated to the 2nd unit who barely gets on the ice with any PP time left. He and Coyle don't seem to mesh, and Debrusk doesn't help anyone on that line. So really he got put in a position to fail. But line 2 and the 1st PP are better in their current forms without him, so it is what it is.

Babajingo

I think if you only protect Swayman, they will grab Vladar. I know other teams have some goalie depth too, but he has some NHL experience.
Wait, does Vladar count? Got a headache reading the rules.

NM, I see that Swayman isn't eligible. Thats good.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is undeniable, and I say that not just because last year he was 100% useless.

He was a very good regular season player this season. Much improved. Now the question is - does his newfound level of slow reflect an inability to compete at playoff pace, has he somehow reverted to the lazy sack he was last year, is he hurt, etc? To me you gotta find the answer to that question.

Just my two cents........I've read before that it is not uncommon for NHL players to come to camp at one weight and be a fair bit heavier by the time the season ended. They just don't have the time to train the way they did in the off-season when they cut the weight, so slowly the pounds pack back on. Then factor in this season with the compressed schedule, less practice, restricted while on the road, they have even less time to train off-ice.

While I don't think Ritchie today is as heavy as he was when the RTP tournament ran last summer (where he looked every bit of 250 lbs. plus), I think he's gained weight since camp and it's slowed him down. Not making excuses, that's on him.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I honestly go 8-1

Bergeron
Marchand
Pastrnak
Hall
McAvoy
Carlo
Gryz
Krejci