Management Who should the Bruins protect at the expansion draft?

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
it's starting to look more & more like even with the ability to leave Hall & Krejci unprotected as UFAs, there's a good chance they'll still have to leave a good forward unprotected. That means one of Frederic, Debrusk or Ritchie is the odd man out.

Dom did a mock expansion draft and had Ritchie getting taken. Leaving Debrusk unprotected, even if he has fallen off quite a bit, is a non-starter because it's better to get something for him if nothing else. Frederic still has too much upside to let go for nothing IMO.

With all that said, I saw an interesting idea on reddit, which was to make a deal with Seattle to let them take Debrusk if they agree to take on Moore (maybe in a trade for a pick). Adjust the pick to be whatever you think balances the scale, but I actually kind of like this idea.

Reactions: Flannelman

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
it's starting to look more & more like even with the ability to leave Hall & Krejci unprotected as UFAs, there's a good chance they'll still have to leave a good forward unprotected. That means one of Frederic, Debrusk or Ritchie is the odd man out.

Dom did a mock expansion draft and had Ritchie getting taken. Leaving Debrusk unprotected, even if he has fallen off quite a bit, is a non-starter because it's better to get something for him if nothing else. Frederic still has too much upside to let go for nothing IMO.

With all that said, I saw an interesting idea on reddit, which was to make a deal with Seattle to let them take Debrusk if they agree to take on Moore (maybe in a trade for a pick). Adjust the pick to be whatever you think balances the scale, but I actually kind of like this idea.

DeBrusk is safe. The last spot is between Frederic and Ritchie, and I think Frederic will be protected. I don’t think any of these 3 have long-term futures here in Boston, but Ritchie just doesn’t fit next year.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Bruins won’t protect any of those players. Ritchie Frederic and kase will be left on the table.
One of Ritchie or Freddy will be protected. Who do they protect instead? Wagner?

Top line (3), Coyle, Smith, Debrusk... that's 6. Freddy or Ritchie for the 7th spot is an interesting debate. I lean Freddy cause I like him more, but a strong case could be made for Ritchie.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
One of Ritchie or Freddy will be protected. Who do they protect instead? Wagner?

Top line (3), Coyle, Smith, Debrusk... that's 6. Freddy or Ritchie for the 7th spot is an interesting debate. I lean Freddy cause I like him more, but a strong case could be made for Ritchie.
Bergeron Marchand pasta coyle

zboril lauzon Carlo mcavoy. Gryz I leave exposed just because he is older smaller and injury prone and more expensive

this is assuming we can wait until after the expansion draft to sign hall, mike Reilly and krecji after expansion. Not sure how all this works. I suppose we could leave the defence exposed.
Say they go 7+3
Bergeron Marchand coyle pasta smith Ritchie fredric Carlo mcavoy lauzon. But I think they only go this way if they have to sign hall and krecji before the draft. Then they have to leave Ritchie and Fredrick exposed along with debrusk. I want Seattle to take a forward to be honest. I’m ok with losing a middle six guy. I don’t want to lose a potential young top four d.

Reactions: elMatador

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Hope someone takes DeBust

would be ideal. But unlikely

My protect list (can't narrow it down)

Marchand
Bergeron
Pasta
Hall
Smith
Coyle

McAvoy
Carlo
Grz
Lauzon
Reilly

I would extend choices for Kraken to pick from (taxi squad/ahl), including Vladar but not Swayman, Lauko. Worst case offer two players like Vaaka and Zboril. Or Vladar and future pick

Just don't want them to take anybody on this protected list

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Somewhat related to this --- I've had a very light morning at work and was goofing around with Capfriendly and without going deep into things ---

They are in great space cap-wise.
(Moving out JDB either via trade or expansion draft was part of this)

I'm not going to post every permutation of the roster I came up with for 2021 - 2022 and 2022 - 2023 but they can sign Hall at around 7/7.5 --- re-sign Krejci and Rask for 10-11 combined and get another forward in FA this year and let Krejci walk in 2022/2023 and sign Barkov for 7/11...while paying McAvoy around 7.5.

Again, putting the specifics aside --- this team can be very, very good for the next 5-7 years if the right moves are made.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
It's a fairly unstressful exercise at this point. We have a lot of equivalent players to the one who will probably get snagged, and we won't feel it much.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
DeBrusk is safe. The last spot is between Frederic and Ritchie, and I think Frederic will be protected. I don’t think any of these 3 have long-term futures here in Boston, but Ritchie just doesn’t fit next year.

You mean Debrusk doesn't fit next year. At least Frederic can shift to C.

There is less than a year in age separating Ritchie and Debrusk. One guy has been dressed for every game this year. The other is shuffled up and down the line-up, from LW to RW and back again trying to find a fit, and constantly getting called out by his coaches.

I don't like the idea of letting Debrusk go for nothing (personally I'd protect him over Frederic who will be a career bottom-sixer IMO).

But between him and Ritchie I can't see how anyone thinks it's Ritchie is clearly gone and Debrusk definitely staying. I don't think either option is clear-cut, but I do think Ritchie is the safer bet. I think he's going to be consistently a half-a-ppg winger who averages roughly 2 hits-a-game and can fight when needed. I don't know what Jake Debrusk is suppose to be.

Yeah I'm keeping the 10th overall pick from 2014 over the 14th overall pick in 2015. Ideally you keep both and expose the 29th overall pick in 2016.

Last edited:

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

There is less than a year in age separating Ritchie and Debrusk. One guy has been dressed for every game this year. The other is shuffled up and down the line-up, from LW to RW and back again trying to find a fit, and constantly getting called out by his coaches.

I don't like the idea of letting Debrusk go for nothing (personally I'd protect him over Frederic who will be a career bottom-sixer IMO).

But between him and Ritchie I can't see how anyone thinks it's Ritchie is clearly gone and Debrusk definitely staying. I don't think either option is clear-cut, but I do think Ritchie is the safer bet. I think he's going to be consistently a half-a-ppg winger who averages roughly 2 hits-a-game and can fight when needed. I don't know what Jake Debrusk is suppose to be.

Yeah I'm keeping the 10th overall pick from 2014 over the 14th overall pick in 2015. Ideally you keep both and expose the 29th overall pick in 2016.
Of the 3 players mentioned (DeBrusk, Ritchie, Frederic) I can't see a scenario where Seattle would be tempted to select Frederic. Why would they? He's a bottom 6 player and not a regular on our roster and doesn't have near the offensive upside as the other 2.

I get that he's a fan favorite and people have an irrational love affair with this guy, but come on. Do we really think he's on Seattle's radar?

Leaving Frederic exposed is an easy call in my opinion.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Of the 3 players mentioned (DeBrusk, Ritchie, Frederic) I can't see a scenario where Seattle would be tempted to select Frederic. Why would they? He's a bottom 6 player and not a regular on our roster and doesn't have near the offensive upside as the other 2.

I get that he's a fan favorite and people have an irrational love affair with this guy, but come on. Do we really think he's on Seattle's radar?

Leaving Frederic exposed is an easy call in my opinion.

I do like Frederic but I agree it's an easy call here between the 3. Are other teams protecting forwards with one assist in 50 something NHL games? I seriously doubt it.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA

Ritchie has a contract coming up and Sweeney might be nervous about what his camp will be asking for and might not want to overpay. They are probably afraid of him turning into Beleskey if they over extend themselves, and that's a valid concern. DeBrusk is one of Sweeney's guys and Fluto said Don is scared of trading him. He is also under contract for next season, and you're likely looking at a lower number than what he's making now if/when he gets extended after next season.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Ritchie has a contract coming up and Sweeney might be nervous about what his camp will be asking for and might not want to overpay. They are probably afraid of him turning into Beleskey if they over extend themselves, and that's a valid concern. DeBrusk is one of Sweeney's guys and Fluto said Don is scared of trading him. He is also under contract for next season, and you're likely looking at a lower number than what he's making now if/when he gets extended after next season.

Let's be realistic here, if Jake Debrusk doesn't turn things around between now and the time his contract expires, he won't be here any longer. If his current production doesn't trend back towards what it was a couple seasons ago, at 3.65 million he won't even get qualified. You don't qualify wingers at 3.65 million to score 15-20 pts. a year.

I'm not sure what Sweeney's concern is with Ritchie and how that in any way relates to Beleskey. I don't see any similarities between those two players, nor should Sweeney. Ritchie was a Top 10 pick about to hit his prime and has significantly more skill than Beleskey who was a glorified grinder who got hot one year.

Ritchie can elect arbitration and if they don't come to an agreement he'll end up on a 1-year arbitration deal and is an RFA again in 2022. Then you can make a better determination on Ritchie vs. Debrusk and both will be RFAs if they go the arbitration route with Ritchie.

If fear is what is driving Sweeney to not trade a player (Debrusk) or not try to negotiate an extension (Ritchie) than he's in the wrong business. He's paid GM wages (not peanuts) to make the tough decisions, he had better not be letting fear of either scenario influence his expansion protection decisions.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'd protect 8 in order to keep both Grzelcyk and Lauzon.

Bergeron, Pasta, Marchand, Coyle

McAvoy, Lauzon, Grzelcyk, Carlo

Let them take whoever they want out of JDB, Smith, Ritchie, Frederic, Zboril, etc.

Even if they lose, say Smith --- long term they are better off with a team that includes Lauzon and Grzelcyk than one that includes the forward they lose. (Smith, JDB, Frederic or Ritchie).

Plus they could replace the forward in free agency with a Schwarz, Saad or Granlund.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Sweeney is gonna protect him

Can I ask why you predict this?

Debrusk is a healthy scratch/barely hanging onto 4th line

He has been placed on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd lines. Zero success/production. Some even blame him for bringing those lines down (except 1st line, short sample)

What kind of value does he hold (except faith)?

Reactions: BruinDust

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I do like Frederic but I agree it's an easy call here between the 3. Are other teams protecting forwards with one assist in 50 something NHL games? I seriously doubt it.
Its not even that....Take a look at who else we would potentially leave exposed and tell me where Frederic ranks in desirability to Seattle?

Lauzon, Zboril (or Grizz if need be), JDB/Ritchie, Lazar, Wagner, Frederic.

If I'm Seattle Frederic is in the last 2 on that list........No way he gets claimed.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
This is a strange place sometimes. Not so long ago there was all kinds of complaining about Krug, then he leaves and the same people are hand-wringing about the powerplay and puck moving. Then Gryz steps in a does a credible job in Krug's role and it's back to complaining about him and his size. Team has no bonafide secondary scoring, then they sign Taylor Hall who is really, really good and then there is all kinds of complaining about "they should have got so and so instead" and "no way I extend the guy at the money he is likely to want" etc. There is a cadre here that is never satisfied no matter what happens. Team is not physical enough Tampa Bay, Caps will eat them alive. Ritchie is a beast but no he sucks, no hockey sense, lazy, bench him and put player X in. It boggles the mind.
Grizz hasn’t done a good on the PP. Like Grizz but he’s no Krug on the PP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad