Management Who should the Bruins protect at the expansion draft?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Would like to see opinions as to who the Bruins should protect in the upcoming expansion draft (early projections).

Would you go with 7 + 3 + 1 format? or 8 +1 format?

I'm still a little hazy as to which younger Bruin players are exempt. And lastly is it correct, when both of your goalies are UFA bound after this season, a goalie from the system still has to be protected?
=====================================================================

DominicT
RETIRED

Home Page:
http://ohlwriters.me
Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

*NOTE: When looking at that, at least two forwards and one defenceman with the green check mark MUST BE MADE AVAILABLE to Seattle

*Mods should probably sticky this at the top of each page because it's bound to come up 1000 times between now and the draft*

Last edited by a moderator:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Would like to see opinions as to who the Bruins should protect in the upcoming expansion draft (early projections).

Would you go with 7 + 3 + 1 format? or 8 +1 format?

I'm still a little hazy as to which younger Bruin players are exempt. And lastly is it correct, when both of your goalies are UFA bound after this season, a goalie from the system still has to be protected?

Must make available 1 goaltender who is under contract for 2021-22 or an RFA who has at least received his qualifying offer.

You give Callum Booth his qualifying offer and they reach their requirments.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
8 best players. However that works. They can only pick one guy.

If you can do it with the 10 player format, great. My opinion? Four of their best players are defencemen. 8 + 1

Also vehemently opposed to giving Seattle anything to influence who they take.

This is a tough one. I would consider, depending on how players like Bjork, Ritchie, Lauzon keep performing

Reactions: Gordoff

Mancini0518

Jan 26, 2008
MA
Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak, Coyle, Debrusk, Mcavoy, Grz, Carlo

Since Krejci and Kuraly are UFAs im guessing they arent included..based on my recollection of Vegas

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Since Krejci and Kuraly are UFAs im guessing they arent included..based on my recollection of Vegas

You don't need to only list 8. You could expand it to 10 players. Its when you have more than 3 Ds you want to keep, need to revert to picking 8 players

At the beginning of the season McAvoy, Carlo, Grz would have been a shoe. But Lauzon play this whole season has been rock solid impressive. Coupled with Grz durability issue

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
8 best players. However that works. They can only pick one guy.

If you can do it with the 10 player format, great. My opinion? Four of their best players are defencemen. 8 + 1

Also vehemently opposed to giving Seattle anything to influence who they take.
I agree with the latter within reason.

I'd be willing to give at most a 3rd to sway, but when it boils down, let them take their best available, and we'll still have a good team without giving up additional assets.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

I'd rather drop DeBrusk from the list and add one of Lauzon/Zboril/Clifton based on how the season plays out and do the 4+4 model. Probably Lauzon based on how its going right now, but to me he's more valuable long term to the Bruins than JDB. UFA I believe are included, but they are not counted as meeting minimum requirements, so Kuraly will be on the table as will Krejci. I doubt a team takes 35 year old David Krecji at what he probably wants in a contract. Kuraly is a 4th liner, great if they use their selection from Boston to take him. Smith might be attractive to Seattle with 2 more years at a decent contract but he's also going to be 32 at the start of next season. Ritchie? Possibly depends on how he finishes out and what Seattle thinks his next deal would look like. Who else forward-wise is eligible that the Bruins would really hate to lose vs. who they would hate to lose on blueline?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

Are there any special rules with UFA? I vaguely remember something.

Seattle has an early start to sign a player. If they sign within that grace period, it counts as their selection? Or am I completely misremembering that. (I don't think Vegas took at advantage of that)

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Mancini0518

Jan 26, 2008
MA
I'd rather drop DeBrusk from the list and add one of Lauzon/Zboril/Clifton based on how the season plays out and do the 4+4 model. Probably Lauzon based on how its going right now, but to me he's more valuable long term to the Bruins than JDB. UFA I believe are included, but they are not counted as meeting minimum requirements, so Kuraly will be on the table as will Krejci. I doubt a team takes 35 year old David Krecji at what he probably wants in a contract. Kuraly is a 4th liner, great if they use their selection from Boston to take him. Smith might be attractive to Seattle with 2 more years at a decent contract but he's also going to be 32 at the start of next season. Ritchie? Possibly depends on how he finishes out and what Seattle thinks his next deal would look like. Who else forward-wise is eligible that the Bruins would really hate to lose vs. who they would hate to lose on blueline?

I'm more inclined to keep Debrusk and risk a young defenseman based on 1) organization depth at D and 2) the Bruins struggles for as long as I can remember in finding adequate middle 6 wingers.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Are there any special rules with UFA? I vaguely remember something.

Seattle has an early start to sign a player. If they sign within that grace period, it counts as their selection? Or am I completely misremembering that. (I don't think Vegas took at advantage of that)

IIRC, Seattle will have to take at least 20 players under contract for the upcoming season, and yes Vegas had like a 4 day window where they could negotiate with any unprotected UFA or RFA (and the team gets no compensation for the RFA) before FA signing Day on July 1. If they did, that would count as their selection from that team.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm more inclined to keep Debrusk and risk a young defenseman based on 1) organization depth at D and 2) the Bruins struggles for as long as I can remember in finding adequate middle 6 wingers.

I am not convinced DeBrusk is adequate there. He can be a great player but he goes missing so often. Like the past two in NY. Great game one, basically an invisible man last night.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Bergeron, Marchand, Pasta, Coyle, Ritchie, Frederic, DeBrusk, Mac, Carlo, Lauzon.

I am not a big DeBrusk fan but you don't give away 25 goal scorers on their second contract which they would if the went 4-4.

You lose Grizz or Zboril. I think it's Zboril, better contract and younger. No way Grizz is worth his contract, going to look like Moore's in a couple seasons.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Going into this, you know you’re going to lose a good player. Only deal I’d consider is adding a 2nd to take John Moore. It won’t happen and that’s fine but my point is that I would prefer they don’t make some deal and still lose a good piece. You’re adding onto the inevitable anyway.

8P/1G = Bergeron, Pastrnak, Marchand, Coyle, McAvoy, Carlo, and Zboril/Lauzon (idk which yet). Vladar as the goalie, unless TR40 re-signed.

7F/3D/1G = Bergeron, Pastrnak, Marchand, Coyle, Ritchie, Smith, DeBrusk. McAvoy, Carlo, and Zboril/Lauzon. Vladar as the goalie, unless TR40 re-signed.

Easily going with 10 skaters here. That’s just me and I’m sure many others haha

Pray like hell they take Grzelyck over whichever is exposed between Lauzon/Zboril but i seriously doubt it. Grzelyck’s poor season is plummeting that idea and Seattle would be dumb to not take one of the young D.

Won’t be the first or last time I say this, but man: f*** expansion drafts. Absolutely bone 30 other teams out of potentially good players they have drafted, developed, and/or traded/signed. I hate it.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
IIRC, Seattle will have to take at least 20 players under contract for the upcoming season, and yes Vegas had like a 4 day window where they could negotiate with any unprotected UFA or RFA (and the team gets no compensation for the RFA) before FA signing Day on July 1. If they did, that would count as their selection from that team.

They (Seattle) can't negotiate with RFA's who have received their qualifying offers.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Bergeron, Marchand, Pasta, Coyle, Ritchie, Frederic, DeBrusk, Mac, Carlo, Lauzon.

I am not a big DeBrusk fan but you don't give away 25 goal scorers on their second contract which they would if the went 4-4.

You lose Grizz or Zboril. I think it's Zboril, better contract and younger. No way Grizz is worth his contract, going to look like Moore's in a couple seasons.

Dont forget to add Bjork on the list. He is playing well. Also strong PK play

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Going into this, you know you’re going to lose a good player. Only deal I’d consider is adding a 2nd to take John Moore. It won’t happen and that’s fine but my point is that I would prefer they don’t make some deal and still lose a good piece. You’re adding onto the inevitable anyway.

8P/1G = Bergeron, Pastrnak, Marchand, Coyle, McAvoy, Carlo, and Zboril/Lauzon (idk which yet). Vladar as the goalie, unless TR40 re-signed.

7F/3D/1G = Bergeron, Pastrnak, Marchand, Coyle, Ritchie, Smith, DeBrusk. McAvoy, Carlo, and Zboril/Lauzon. Vladar as the goalie, unless TR40 re-signed.

Easily going with 10 skaters here. That’s just me and I’m sure many others haha

Pray like hell they take Grzelyck over whichever is exposed between Lauzon/Zboril but i seriously doubt it. Grzelyck’s poor season is plummeting that idea and Seattle would be dumb to not take one of the young D.

Won’t be the first or last time I say this, but man: f*** expansion drafts. Absolutely bone 30 other teams out of potentially good players they have drafted, developed, and/or traded/signed. I hate it.

29 teams. Vegas is exempt but I get your drift.

But, you really haven't decided between Zboril/Lauzon yet? For me it's Lauzon without any doubts. I can assure you the coaching staff feels the same way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad