Management Who should the Bruins protect at the expansion draft?

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
And most of what Craig Smith has done has been recent. These are secondary scorers/support forwards. If either guy could keep that scoring pace for a whole season they would cost a lot more and would almost certainly not be on the Bruins right now. They'd be playing on someone's top line somewhere.
Makes complete sense but I was just trying to point out that I'd rather protect Ritchie even though he's been struggling over Frederic who hasn't shown me any signs of putting up the points Ritchie has over his career. Plus Ritchie imo offers more in the physical department as he is far more intimidating.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Makes complete sense but I was just trying to point out that I'd rather protect Ritchie even though he's been struggling over Frederic who hasn't shown me any signs of putting up the points Ritchie has over his career. Plus Ritchie imo offers more in the physical department as he is far more intimidating.

Agree- I would protect Ritchie over Frederic but I would protect both of them over JDB at this moment :eek:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
And for non-core level guys like Ritchie, or Smith, or Frederic, your gonna get some lulls now and then. It's when the lulls really drag on that it becomes concerning. Smith had his stretch where he wasn't noticed much too. Frederic impressed early getting in the faces of opponents, but that shtick can only get you so far, you gotta perform between the whistles too.

I actually like Frederic. I'd like to see more of him at Center where he played most of his pro career. I'm just not sold on his upside.

I rather have a player that starts out slow but is able to ramp it up during the 2nd half/intense part of the season

Smith has gotten better as the season has progressed. Clutch as of late vs:

Frederic has one assist this season. In 50 nhl games one assist

Ritchie is scoreless in 10 games now.

Even if these guys are younger, I'm still protecting Smith

Reactions: inactive user

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I rather have a player that starts out slow but is able to ramp it up during the 2nd half/intense part of the season

Smith has gotten better as the season has progressed. Clutch as of late vs:

Frederic has one assist this season. In 50 nhl games one assist

Ritchie is scoreless in 10 games now.

Even if these guys are younger, I'm still protecting Smith

Smith historically has also disappeared in the playoffs.

My choice right here today is to protect Ritchie and Smith.

I think Hall is going to play a factor here too. If say the Bruins are banking on him re-signing with them after the expansion draft, it impacts Debrusk and Ritchie because unless one of the two convert to playing their off-wing most of the time, I can't see them allocating the amount of cap space necessary to run Marchand-Hall-Debrusk-Ritchie down the left wing position in 2021-22 considering Ritchie is likely getting a raise of some sort and Debrusk is already overpaid for what he's bringing. Realistically you would be looking at probably 18-19 million in cap space used on four natural LWers. Not sure if that is sustainable.

Reactions: inactive user

Afam

Seattle was granted an expansion franchise by the NHL on Dec. 4, 2018 and will begin play in 2021-22. The Seattle Kraken will be in the Pacific Division with the Arizona Coyotes moving to the Central Division.
The 2021 NHL Expansion Draft will be under the same rules for Seattle as the Vegas Golden Knights in 2017. Seattle will select one player from each team excluding the Golden Knights for a total of 30 (14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goalies) not including additional players who may be acquired as the result of violations of the Expansion Draft rules.

Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season and those with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100 percent of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap. Seattle cannot buy out players chosen in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.
Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.

Seattle 2021 NHL Expansion Draft rules same as Golden Knights followed

Afam

Now I understand the whole Seattle/protection discussion going on here. It is unreal that nhl teams are forced to protect their own players or risk losing them to Seattle because the league decided to add an extra team. Like why. Are there not enough team in the league, is it because of money and does Seattle need an NHL team that bad. Unreal

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Smith historically has also disappeared in the playoffs.

My choice right here today is to protect Ritchie and Smith.

I think Hall is going to play a factor here too. If say the Bruins are banking on him re-signing with them after the expansion draft, it impacts Debrusk and Ritchie because unless one of the two convert to playing their off-wing most of the time, I can't see them allocating the amount of cap space necessary to run Marchand-Hall-Debrusk-Ritchie down the left wing position in 2021-22 considering Ritchie is likely getting a raise of some sort and Debrusk is already overpaid for what he's bringing. Realistically you would be looking at probably 18-19 million in cap space used on four natural LWers. Not sure if that is sustainable.

Tbh at this rate, I try to trade Ritchie (offseason) or let him become a UFA

I just don't see any higher ceiling on him. 1st part of the season when the pace is slow and other teams are trying to get setup. Ritchie can take adv and score some points

But 2nd part of the season when things really pick up. He is slow to/with the puck. Watch when he has a juicy shot to unload, in a blink of an eyes get his stick lifted or someone gets a stick in front of the puck.

I would have thought he would have been a bigger net presence, but is usually hanging around the outside along the boards instead. By the time the puck rolls to the point man. Ritchie is still not in front of the net

I'm not worried about Smith little to no show in the playoffs. Preds in general have been no shows in the 1st round. Pekka has been brutal

I would keep Smith and Hall (resign). I'm indifferent if team wants to protect Debrusk or Frederic at this point

Last edited:

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Now I understand the whole Seattle/protection discussion going on here. It is unreal that nhl teams are forced to both their own players because the league decided to add an extra team. Like why. Are they not enough team in the league, is it because of money and does Seattle need an NHL team that bad. Unreal
Also why is Vegas exempt? Even more reason to dislike that team.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Also why is Vegas exempt? Even more reason to dislike that team.

They gotta get something for the $650 million :laugh:

Stupid NHL. Tampa Bay was a pile of crap for years, as was Columbus and Nashville. No reason not to follow that model. They have strong fanbases and built their teams into good franchises. They've all done well. Florida had that weird anomaly where they rose fast, but then crashed and burned.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Management might expose a forward or two in hopes that Seattle selects him. I'd rather they take Ritchie than any one of the defenseman, especially where it appears Lauzon will be made available. They could even expose Frederic for the same reason, though that is less likely.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Management might expose a forward or two in hopes that Seattle selects him. I'd rather they take Ritchie than any one of the defenseman, especially where it appears Lauzon will be made available. They could even expose Frederic for the same reason, though that is less likely.

One of them probably will be, maybe both. After the four "untouchables" (Top line + NMC Coyle) you have JDB, Frederic, Ritchie, Wagner, Lazar, McKegg. Which three do you keep of that group? And I could see Seattle taking an interest in one of those guys vs a couple of young d-men who have been up and down this season.

Reactions: Afam

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
One of them probably will be, maybe both. After the four "untouchables" (Top line + NMC Coyle) you have JDB, Frederic, Ritchie, Wagner, Lazar, McKegg. Which three do you keep of that group? And I could see Seattle taking an interest in one of those guys vs a couple of young d-men who have been up and down this season.
Smith, DeBrusk, and Ritchie.

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
MAR
BER
PAS
SMI
COY
FRE
LAZ
---
GRZ
McA
CAR
---
VLA

if they could somehow lose Coyle's automatic inclusion, I'd aim for four forwards and four defensemen, removing also Lazar and Frederic to add... maybe Lauzon when it comes time to choose, but today: Clifton. please let me know if I'm misunderstanding something technical.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Now I understand the whole Seattle/protection discussion going on here. It is unreal that nhl teams are forced to protect their own players or risk losing them to Seattle because the league decided to add an extra team. Like why. Are there not enough team in the league, is it because of money and does Seattle need an NHL team that bad. Unreal

Because its a business.
They paid $650 million to the the owners.
Business.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Assuming they go 7-3-1, I think Seattle will have the choice of some combination of Lazar, Frederic, Lauzon, Zboril or Clifton, which is going to be a good role player. I think the ceiling on these players are relatively capped as it's really a bottom 6 forward or a 5-6 defensemen, which got me thinking could Sweeney offer up Vaakanainen to Seattle even though he is exempt? He was a higher ceiling than any of the players mentioned above and allows the Bruins to keep themselves in the win-now mode their guys. Win-win for both clubs.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Assuming they go 7-3-1, I think Seattle will have the choice of some combination of Lazar, Frederic, Lauzon, Zboril or Clifton, which is going to be a good role player. I think the ceiling on these players are relatively capped as it's really a bottom 6 forward or a 5-6 defensemen, which got me thinking could Sweeney offer up Vaakanainen to Seattle even though he is exempt? He was a higher ceiling than any of the players mentioned above and allows the Bruins to keep themselves in the win-now mode their guys. Win-win for both clubs.
No way in hell is Ritchie protected over Frederic

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Mentioned this in the Fluto thread about the same topic, but I would not be at all surprised to see Clifton being a serious consideration for Seattle.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
No way in hell is Ritchie protected over Frederic

Why do you think so? To me at this point, Ritchie is a much more accomplished player and is still young. I like what Frederic potentially can do, but he has not brought a lot to the table this season, especially as it wore on. Chirps and punches are fine, but he's got to show more than that to be worth keeping over Ritchie at this point.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Ritchie is better as of right now and has better trade value. You keep him. Frederic is much more replaceable.

I find it ironic that people complained for the past two years about the lack of physical play on this team.

Meanwhile it seems the two guys currently on the &^%% list for many posters are the two team leaders in hits (Clifton and Ritchie).

They finally have a legit big man who can skate well enough to play and produce in Ritchie after literally years of searching. And half the board is ready to see him sent packing in favor of guys of similar age but far less established in the NHL.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Why do you think so? To me at this point, Ritchie is a much more accomplished player and is still young. I like what Frederic potentially can do, but he has not brought a lot to the table this season, especially as it wore on. Chirps and punches are fine, but he's got to show more than that to be worth keeping over Ritchie at this point.
Frederic plays center and has higher upside

Tom Wilson first 311 regular season games 21 goals

I watched Frederic a lot in Providence and I love his game

It really doesn’t matter anyways Seattle is taking Lauzon if he’s out there

Sweeney will have to buy him out of being selected

Reactions: Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad