Management Who should the Bruins protect at the expansion draft?

member 96824

Let's say the Bruins brass decide the tandem next year will be Rask and Swayman. Are they getting Vladar through waivers in October? I'd say it's 50/50 at best. My gut tells me he'd be claimed by some team most likely.

So maybe it's better to use that asset now to keep Seattle away from the rest of the exposed players if there is a good chance come October you may lose the asset (Vladar) anyways.

All this is predicated on Rask (or possibly Halak, one but not both) being brought back to pair with Swayman. If this is the end of the road for Rask and Halak with the Bruins, I don't see how they can then expose Vladar.

I like to see them find a way to keep Vladar, Swayman and Rask past next October, because I think in today's league we are seeing the importance rise of the "3rd goalie". I really doubt Vladar clears waivers but maybe the Bruins can use that to their advantage for once.

Interesting, I like the creative thinking...but if you're Seattle and you're interested in Vladar..why would you go this route?

For example, Vegas obviously had some interest in Malcolm Subban. They also saw that we had 3 goalies in Rask, Khudobin, Subban and Subban was more than likely odd man out, so they just waited for that to play out and used their waiver priority to get both Subban and Colin Miller, instead of just Subban at the expansion draft.

member 96824

Now I understand the whole Seattle/protection discussion going on here. It is unreal that nhl teams are forced to protect their own players or risk losing them to Seattle because the league decided to add an extra team. Like why. Are there not enough team in the league, is it because of money and does Seattle need an NHL team that bad. Unreal

I'd take this way 10 out of 10 times over the old way of watching Ottawa take 4 full seasons to get 50 cumulative wins while icing a ECHL level team.

This way is so much better for everyone involved. Fans watching at home or especially the ones buying tickets, league revenues, salary cap, etc.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I find it ironic that people complained for the past two years about the lack of physical play on this team.

Meanwhile it seems the two guys currently on the &^%% list for many posters are the two team leaders in hits (Clifton and Ritchie).

They finally have a legit big man who can skate well enough to play and produce in Ritchie after literally years of searching. And half the board is ready to see him sent packing in favor of guys of similar age but far less established in the NHL.

This is a strange place sometimes. Not so long ago there was all kinds of complaining about Krug, then he leaves and the same people are hand-wringing about the powerplay and puck moving. Then Gryz steps in a does a credible job in Krug's role and it's back to complaining about him and his size. Team has no bonafide secondary scoring, then they sign Taylor Hall who is really, really good and then there is all kinds of complaining about "they should have got so and so instead" and "no way I extend the guy at the money he is likely to want" etc. There is a cadre here that is never satisfied no matter what happens. Team is not physical enough Tampa Bay, Caps will eat them alive. Ritchie is a beast but no he sucks, no hockey sense, lazy, bench him and put player X in. It boggles the mind.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'd take this way 10 out of 10 times over the old way of watching Ottawa take 4 full seasons to get 50 cumulative wins while icing a ECHL level team.

This way is so much better for everyone involved. Fans watching at home or especially the ones buying tickets, league revenues, salary cap, etc.

Disagree, I found it unfair and offensive that the Knights made it to the finals in their first year because the expansion draft was stacked in their favor (and Florida being idiotic put them over the top). Other teams shouldn't be punished and have the rosters they've spent years building towards get unraveled because Gary Bettman wanted a cash grab expansion entry fee. Let the expansion team pay their dues and build their own team from the ground up.

Reactions: inactive user

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Interesting, I like the creative thinking...but if you're Seattle and you're interested in Vladar..why would you go this route?

For example, Vegas obviously had some interest in Malcolm Subban. They also saw that we had 3 goalies in Rask, Khudobin, Subban and Subban was more than likely odd man out, so they just waited for that to play out and used their waiver priority to get both Subban and Colin Miller, instead of just Subban at the expansion draft.

I think the difference this time is (assuming all things stay the same) is that going into the expansion draft to make the picks, Rask won't be signed under contract (if he were then he'd require protection) so Seattle won't have the type of certainty regarding Boston's goalie situation going into the draft that Vegas did. Bruins also have more flexibility come October, they can send Swayman down at the start and keep Vladar up while they figure things out. They didn't have that flexibility in 2017 with Rask and Dobby.

While I think it's tremendously difficult to predict who Seattle will take from each team, I'd have to think that there won't be many 23-year old goalies with 5 seasons of NA professional experience being made available to them, let alone ones that have put up numbers in the AHL like Vladar, not to mention his physical gifts (mobility, height). This is a 23-year old Goalie prospect on the cusp of the NHL, which I would think is desirable to an expansion team if they are looking long-term. Depends on what Seattle want to do really. Maybe they just want to take the two best goaltenders they can and hope to replicate Vegas's success. Or maybe they want to take a long-term view and lean more towards younger guys who may be around awhile. Hard to say and I really have no idea what type of GM Ron Francis is, or what his ownership are looking to do. I wouldn't be shocked if the Seattle ownership look at Vegas's success and believe that could easily be them and take a shorter-term view on their selections.

member 96824

This is a strange place sometimes. Not so long ago there was all kinds of complaining about Krug, then he leaves and the same people are hand-wringing about the powerplay and puck moving. Then Gryz steps in a does a credible job in Krug's role and it's back to complaining about him and his size. Team has no bonafide secondary scoring, then they sign Taylor Hall who is really, really good and then there is all kinds of complaining about "they should have got so and so instead" and "no way I extend the guy at the money he is likely to want" etc. There is a cadre here that is never satisfied no matter what happens. Team is not physical enough Tampa Bay, Caps will eat them alive. Ritchie is a beast but no he sucks, no hockey sense, lazy, bench him and put player X in. It boggles the mind.

Just my observation, could very well be wrong, but I get the sense that for the most part..these are all different people...which is what makes this place great. Differing opinions. If we all agreed it would be quite boring.

For example, I don't see much overlap in the "Bruins need to get BIGGER and TOUGHER!!!" and the "Ritchie Stinks" crowd. The bigger and tougher crowd definitely doesn't seem to care about puck moving and powerplay...many of them would prefer to play 60 minutes a night short-handed as long as we were slashing, boarding, fighting, etc.

I don't see much irony or disingenuous thoughts or anything like that, just seems like a group of people connecting by one thing(fans of the Bruins) have differing opinions and views:dunno:. If Colt starts talking about needing more speed and skill or OneManisNoMan says "screw analytics, it's about the intangibles that can't be measure and the eye test" then that's when something's up:laugh:

member 96824

Disagree, I found it unfair and offensive that the Knights made it to the finals in their first year because the expansion draft was stacked in their favor (and Florida being idiotic put them over the top). Other teams shouldn't be punished and have the rosters they've spent years building towards get unraveled because Gary Bettman wanted a cash grab expansion entry fee. Let the expansion team pay their dues and build their own team from the ground up.

Fair enough, gotta agree to disagree for a couple of different reasons.
1.I want to watch good hockey. The old expansion rules didn't provide good hockey at all. They provided a completely trash product. That was no exaggeration, it took Ottawa 4 seasons to win 50 games total. That's no good for anyone involved.
2. I believe Vegas going to the finals their first year was a complete anomaly, don't think we'll ever see it again even under the same rules. That's as much on the GMs being foolish as it was the rules. Involved in some form of TRADE: Shea Theodore, Marc Andre Fleury, William Karlsson, Reilly Smith, Jonathan Marchessault, Alex Tuch, Erik Haula. The picks themselves were pretty underwhelming minus Perron and Schmidt. I'd be highly highly surprised if we see the same mistakes again with Seattle.
3. More important than anything for me personally, the revenue growth has to come from somewhere. I'd rather it be another good team drawing ratings, sponsorships, butts in the seats, selling merch, etc. vs. my wallet at the ticket booth.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

It wasn't really though. Theoretically they'd be building a team of 3rd line forwards, 4th defensemen, and backup goalies. That's not a team that should make the playoffs, let alone be a Stanley Cup Finalist. The best players on that team were due to bad trades, not the actual draft. Vegas being that good is more of a comment on bad self-evaluation by the other teams and a smart building process for Vegas. There's no guarantee Seattle will be able to repeat a strong performance. You'd think teams would have learned something from that expansion draft, but we'll find out in a few months.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Just my observation, could very well be wrong, but I get the sense that for the most part..these are all different people...which is what makes this place great. Differing opinions. If we all agreed it would be quite boring.

For example, I don't see much overlap in the "Bruins need to get BIGGER and TOUGHER!!!" and the "Ritchie Stinks" crowd. The bigger and tougher crowd definitely doesn't seem to care about puck moving and powerplay...many of them would prefer to play 60 minutes a night short-handed as long as we were slashing, boarding, fighting, etc.

I don't see much irony or disingenuous thoughts or anything like that, just seems like a group of people connecting by one thing(fans of the Bruins) have differing opinions and views:dunno:. If Colt starts talking about needing more speed and skill or OneManisNoMan says "screw analytics, it's about the intangibles that can't be measure and the eye test" then that's when something's up:laugh:

Fair enough- I think you are probably right for the most part on individual consistency but as a whole it gets funny and actually I find it enjoyable all in all. I do think we could go through and find some irony- I know I have flip flopped on a few things over the years and it would be dishonest to not acknowledge that.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Why do you think so? To me at this point, Ritchie is a much more accomplished player and is still young. I like what Frederic potentially can do, but he has not brought a lot to the table this season, especially as it wore on. Chirps and punches are fine, but he's got to show more than that to be worth keeping over Ritchie at this point.

Cheaper, younger, higher ceiling.

Reactions: Tbaybruin

17of26

Sep 9, 2008

The expansion draft was absolutely not stacked in their favor.

Most teams protected 7-3-1, which means theoretically Vegas would have been selecting 3rd and 4th liners along with #4-6 defensemen and backup goalies. In what universe is that stacked in their favor? Even right after that draft, no one expected Vegas to be very good.

For a reminder, this is the list of players that Vegas drafted:

1. Calvin Pickard G Colorado Avalanche
2. Luca Sbisa D Vancouver Canucks
3. Teemu Pulkkinen LW Arizona Coyotes
4. Jon Merrill D New Jersey Devils
5. William Carrier LW Buffalo Sabres
6. Cody Eakin C Dallas Stars
7. Tomas Nosek LW Detroit Red Wings
8. Jonathan Marchessault C Florida Panthers
9. Brayden McNabb D Los Angeles Kings
10. Connor Brickley C Carolina Hurricanes
11. Chris Thorburn RW Winnipeg Jets
12. Pierre-Edouard Bellemare RW Philadelphia Flyers
13. Jason Garrison D Tampa Bay Lightning
14. Jean-Francois Berube G New York Islanders
15. James Neal LW Nashville Predators
16. Deryk Engelland D Calgary Flames
17. Brendan Leipsic LW Toronto Maple Leafs
18. Colin Miller D Boston Bruins
19. Marc Methot D Ottawa Senators
20. David Schlemko D San Jose Sharks
21. David Perron LW St. Louis Blues
22. Oscar Lindberg C New York Rangers
23. Griffin Reinhart D Edmonton Oilers
24. Alexei Emelin D Montreal Canadiens
25. Clayton Stoner D Anaheim Ducks
26. Erik Haula C Minnesota Wild
27. William Karlsson C Columbus Blue Jackets
28. Trevor van Riemsdyk D Chicago Blackhawks
29. Marc-Andre Fleury G Pittsburgh Penguins
30. Nate Schmidt D Washington Capitals

On paper, I'm not sure that team even qualifies for the playoffs in 2017-2018, nevermind becoming a Stanley Cup Finalist.

What made Vegas good were the stupid deals that teams made with them, most notably:
  • The Florida Panthers traded Reilly Smith in exchange for Vegas selecting Jonathan Marchessault and a fourth-round pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft.
  • The Anaheim Ducks traded Shea Theodore in exchange for Vegas selecting Clayton Stoner
  • The Minnesota Wild traded Alex Tuch in exchange for Vegas selecting Erik Haula and a conditional third-round pick in the 2017 or 2018 NHL Entry Draft.

Mix in a little bit of 'us against the world' attitude from a bunch of castoffs, career best seasons from an entire top line (Smith-Karlsson-Marchessault), and some lighting in a bottle and we got a crazy story of an expansion team making the finals in their first year.

There are a lot of reasons why the Vegas Golden Knights made the finals in 2018, but a draft stacked in their favor was not one of them.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I just hope Boston doesn’t give them any stupid deals like Florida did. Gave them two of their top 6 and a draft pick ha.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Cheaper, younger, higher ceiling.

Both are RFAs, Frederic will be cheaper because he's the lesser player right now and the less proven player.

Younger? True, but it's not exactly a huge gap (roughly 26 months).

Higher ceiling? You must be watching a different Trent Frederic than I am. Whether one likes or doesn't like Ritchie, the guy has touch with the puck on his stick. He can shoot and score. He can make good plays and passes. You can't teach touch, he has it. And a lot of big players don't.

Trent Frederic has just 5 points in 53 NHL games now. Just one assist. Now I'd argue he's a better defensive player and better overall without the puck, but does Frederic really bring anything outstanding? His mouth seems to be his most appreciated attribute thus far on the ice, 2nd would be his willingness to throw fists. The rest of his game looks average at best.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
Will make things so much easier if they win the cup. If that happens then see ya Rask and Halak.

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The expansion draft was absolutely not stacked in their favor.

Most teams protected 7-3-1, which means theoretically Vegas would have been selecting 3rd and 4th liners along with #4-6 defensemen and backup goalies. In what universe is that stacked in their favor? Even right after that draft, no one expected Vegas to be very good.

For a reminder, this is the list of players that Vegas drafted:

1. Calvin Pickard G Colorado Avalanche
2. Luca Sbisa D Vancouver Canucks
3. Teemu Pulkkinen LW Arizona Coyotes
4. Jon Merrill D New Jersey Devils
5. William Carrier LW Buffalo Sabres
6. Cody Eakin C Dallas Stars
7. Tomas Nosek LW Detroit Red Wings
8. Jonathan Marchessault C Florida Panthers
9. Brayden McNabb D Los Angeles Kings
10. Connor Brickley C Carolina Hurricanes
11. Chris Thorburn RW Winnipeg Jets
12. Pierre-Edouard Bellemare RW Philadelphia Flyers
13. Jason Garrison D Tampa Bay Lightning
14. Jean-Francois Berube G New York Islanders
15. James Neal LW Nashville Predators
16. Deryk Engelland D Calgary Flames
17. Brendan Leipsic LW Toronto Maple Leafs
18. Colin Miller D Boston Bruins
19. Marc Methot D Ottawa Senators
20. David Schlemko D San Jose Sharks
21. David Perron LW St. Louis Blues
22. Oscar Lindberg C New York Rangers
23. Griffin Reinhart D Edmonton Oilers
24. Alexei Emelin D Montreal Canadiens
25. Clayton Stoner D Anaheim Ducks
26. Erik Haula C Minnesota Wild
27. William Karlsson C Columbus Blue Jackets
28. Trevor van Riemsdyk D Chicago Blackhawks
29. Marc-Andre Fleury G Pittsburgh Penguins
30. Nate Schmidt D Washington Capitals

On paper, I'm not sure that team even qualifies for the playoffs in 2017-2018, nevermind becoming a Stanley Cup Finalist.

What made Vegas good were the stupid deals that teams made with them, most notably:
  • The Florida Panthers traded Reilly Smith in exchange for Vegas selecting Jonathan Marchessault and a fourth-round pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft.
  • The Anaheim Ducks traded Shea Theodore in exchange for Vegas selecting Clayton Stoner
  • The Minnesota Wild traded Alex Tuch in exchange for Vegas selecting Erik Haula and a conditional third-round pick in the 2017 or 2018 NHL Entry Draft.

Mix in a little bit of 'us against the world' attitude from a bunch of castoffs, career best seasons from an entire top line (Smith-Karlsson-Marchessault), and some lighting in a bottle and we got a crazy story of an expansion team making the finals in their first year.

There are a lot of reasons why the Vegas Golden Knights made the finals in 2018, but a draft stacked in their favor was not one of them.
I think this is very fair. It was those trades at the bottom that made the big difference.

That and Fleury.

That top line performance? No one would have realistically predicted that IMO.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Is Krejci holding out until after the expansion draft to sign an extension with you guys or is there a possibility that the Bruins are letting him walk in UFA? Could see him as a potential short-term solution to the Wild's lack of Top 6 centers (and RHS). If Dumba gets selected in the ED, the Wild could probably afford to give him a $6-7M AAV.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Both are RFAs, Frederic will be cheaper because he's the lesser player right now and the less proven player.

Younger? True, but it's not exactly a huge gap (roughly 26 months).

Higher ceiling? You must be watching a different Trent Frederic than I am. Whether one likes or doesn't like Ritchie, the guy has touch with the puck on his stick. He can shoot and score. He can make good plays and passes. You can't teach touch, he has it. And a lot of big players don't.

Trent Frederic has just 5 points in 53 NHL games now. Just one assist. Now I'd argue he's a better defensive player and better overall without the puck, but does Frederic really bring anything outstanding? His mouth seems to be his most appreciated attribute thus far on the ice, 2nd would be his willingness to throw fists. The rest of his game looks average at best.
Frederic is a far better skater. The guy played mostly on the fourth line and is a rookie. Give him time.

MJR BBB65

Feb 28, 2021
One of them probably will be, maybe both. After the four "untouchables" (Top line + NMC Coyle) you have JDB, Frederic, Ritchie, Wagner, Lazar, McKegg. Which three do you keep of that group? And I could see Seattle taking an interest in one of those guys vs a couple of young d-men who have been up and down this season.
I protect Frederic, Ritchie and Lazar.

Frederic- young and still growing can play wing and center
Ritchie- big, plays physical something the bruins need and also net front presence
Lazar- brings energy to the 4th line something that's been missing
JDB- lazy, floats around avoids physical play and loses nearly every puck battle plus he's not worth his contract.
Wagner- he's has been okay with his time in Boston however you can fill his spot with a younger player. See Frederic
McKegg- seen Wagner

Last edited:

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Is Krejci holding out until after the expansion draft to sign an extension with you guys or is there a possibility that the Bruins are letting him walk in UFA? Could see him as a potential short-term solution to the Wild's lack of Top 6 centers (and RHS). If Dumba gets selected in the ED, the Wild could probably afford to give him a $6-7M AAV.
Krejci will never wear the sweater of another team....No way, no how....Shame on Boston if they let it happen.

Reactions: Spurgeon and Kegs

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
Honestly nobody knows but my guess would be yes they're waiting until after the ED before they decide whether or not to sign Krejci to an extension. By the way things are going it seems like they'd want him back for another 1-2 years on a smaller cap hit. It's smarter this way for the Bruins since they won't have to worry about having to protect him in the ED and use that spot for someone else. Could also be risky considering a team like you said the Wild could come and offer him something that would be intriguing for him. But like I said if I had to guess, he most likely would want to stay with the Bruins especially if they go on a decent run this postseason and they offer him a fair contract.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Krecji is so under rated.
I think its that people know so little about hockey....Plain dumb. Anyone who knows the game...Knows how great he is. Not just good. But Great. Krejci is a great player and should wind up in the Hall of fame......The least is 46 hangs from the rafters....Its not even a question. People that dont like Krejci....They just dont know the game. What else could it be ???

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
With the way Debrusk has looked I seriously consider 4-4-1.
Bergeron Marchand Pasta Coyle
Mcavoy Carlo Gryz Lauzon
Vlader

Smith I would hate to lose but I think Seattle would go Debrusk even with such a down year. The kid has talent I just think he needs a change of scenery. I’d rather lose him for nothing than Lauzon for nothing.

Reactions: Kegs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad