Speculation: Who Should Detroit Pick at 4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
To be brutally honest, neither will be a center long-term in the NHL. If you want a center after Byfield and Stutzle are off the board, take Lundell.

I'd honestly consider Zary over Lundell, if I wanted a center, but I am sure that is not a popular opinion.

If there is 1 person not in this poll I would be OK with drafting, it is probably Zary.

Reactions: Tetsuo

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm sure this will upset people, but even if Stutzle falls, I'm still taking Perfetti.

I can't get over how one dimensional Stutzle looks offensively to me personally. He really demands the puck on his stick, he often follows the path of least resistance directing him to the perimeter, and often holds the puck as long as it takes him to find a passing lane. I don't see enough of a shooting mentality, and I don't see enough desire from him to cut to the center of the ice in the offensive zone. I can see someone who potentially can have a lot of possession die on his stick when defenders are able to take away his time and space, close lanes, and the ice shrinks taking away his escape routes. Just my two cents.

Not sure I entirely buy that.

Not sure exactly where it was posted, but I have seen a shot chart for Stutzle, and he generated a lot of shots from high danger areas this last season. If what you are saying is true, not sure that would be possible. I will look and see if I can track it down and post it. I am pretty sure it was on a site with a paywall (either The Athletic or EP Rinkside).

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Who do you think would provide a greater impact in this draft? Nylander did score 31 goals and put up 59 pts in 68 games this year. I mean... realistically... it's kind of hard to expect a lot more than that when you are drafting in the 4 slot.

Rossi and Drysdale both, and I think Lucas Raymond's numbers in Sweden would be similar to Stutzle's in Germany if he had comparable playing time. I think Raymond and Rossi are better forward options. I understand the side of those who don't want to draft defense again, but teams that overload on D prospects usually have success rebuilds (Colorado, Dallas, Carolina, Nashville back when they were last rebuilding)

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'd honestly consider Zary over Lundell, if I wanted a center, but I am sure that is not a popular opinion.

If there is 1 person not in this poll I would be OK with drafting, it is probably Zary.

I like Zary a lot, but I do think Lundell is more projectable as a center at the NHL level. Zary may actually have a higher ceiling, but Lundell will be a center for sure in my eyes.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I like Zary a lot, but I do think Lundell is more projectable as a center at the NHL level. Zary may actually have a higher ceiling, but Lundell will be a center for sure in my eyes.
You guys talking about trading down I hope

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Fairly sure Ottawa selects Stutzle with the 3rd overall pick. I am fine with Perfetti, eventhough I don't think he projects and as a centre. Then Ottawa selects Drysdale with the 5th overall pick.

If by some miracle Ottawa does not select Stutzle, we HAVE to select Stutzle.

First I would have to ask myself "why didn't they select him". If he has issues the regular message forum fan doesn't know... maybe he gets passed on for good reason.

I trust our scouts over random message forum scouts. Just like I want Perfetti, but maybe DRWs heads don't. If not, I have to accept they know more than any of us.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
You've got 40M tied up in 4 forwards.
3 of them can play center (maybe even 4).
Tavares has an NMC. He's not going anywhere.
So now it's down to Matthews, Marner, Nylander.
Nylander doesn't save you much cap space.

So now, Matthews and Marner.
Which guy do you think brings back the huge return?

Both. That said, they don't need HUGE return, they need the right return. Nylander is the odd man out.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
My choices at 4 are either Rossi or Perfetti. My choices at 32 are Wallinder, Khuznutdinov or Reichel if those two are gone. My choices at 45 are Reichel or Jurmo. After that I want Klevin, Nikishin, Finley, Francis, or Peterson. In the late rounds I would like Rhett Rhinehart, Carson Rickels, Maxim Beryoskin, Egor Sokolov or Alex Cotton

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
My choices at 4 are either Rossi or Perfetti. My choices at 32 are Wallinder, Khuznutdinov or Reichel if those two are gone. My choices at 45 are Reichel or Jurmo. After that I want Klevin, Nikishin, Finley, Francis, or Peterson. In the late rounds I would like Rhett Rhinehart, Carson Rickels, Maxim Beryoskin, Egor Sokolov or Alex Cotton

I wouldn't be surprised to see Reichel go in the top 20, I certainly don't think he is making it out of the 1st round.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm sure this will upset people, but even if Stutzle falls, I'm still taking Perfetti.

I can't get over how one dimensional Stutzle looks offensively to me personally. He really demands the puck on his stick, he often follows the path of least resistance directing him to the perimeter, and often holds the puck as long as it takes him to find a passing lane. I don't see enough of a shooting mentality, and I don't see enough desire from him to cut to the center of the ice in the offensive zone. I can see someone who potentially can have a lot of possession die on his stick when defenders are able to take away his time and space, close lanes, and the ice shrinks taking away his escape routes. Just my two cents.

This was the same logic that got Barzal down the board and didn't turn out great. Certain elite guys really can loop around the zone waiting for the right pass. It isn't easy and you have to be special, but Stutzle is elite in the areas you need to be in order to do it. We will see. Stutzle versus Raymond is extremely close for me, I take Stutzle over Perfetti though.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Another guy I like more than Rossi:laugh:
I've come down on Rossi a ton as of late. Even beyond his lack of stature, I'm not sure how his game projects when it is predicated on being good below the circles and he is so small. He is going to be getting roughed up a lot with his lack of truly elusive lateral mobility. I like him a lot in every other facet, but i feel like his upside is limited as a true 1C. He's definitely the kind of guy you want in your lockeroom but I'm not sure you want to be using a top 5 pick on that. Raymond and Perfetti (or Stutzle if hes available) have some combination of elite skills that, if they develop, can be game changing on the offensive end for us.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I've come down on Rossi a ton as of late. Even beyond his lack of stature, I'm not sure how his game projects when it is predicated on being good below the circles and he is so small. He is going to be getting roughed up a lot with his lack of truly elusive lateral mobility. I like him a lot in every other facet, but i feel like his upside is limited as a true 1C. He's definitely the kind of guy you want in your lockeroom but I'm not sure you want to be using a top 5 pick on that. Raymond and Perfetti (or Stutzle if hes available) have some combination of elite skills that, if they develop, can be game changing on the offensive end for us.

You nailed what I don't like about him and my difficulty projecting him up.

I mean the guy tries his ass off, it isn't about not liking the player and his personality is apparently delightful from everything I have read and the people I have talked to that know or are in the industry. It is purely a hockey thing and skills projection. The game he plays will have to change significantly, unless he is an outlier that somehow makes it work. I just don't see it. If we pick him, I will certainly root for him and frankly it will be easy, though I am going to be despondent for a few weeks post draft if I am being honest. Rossi never cheats you on effort, he is going to have to become a heck of a lot more elusive in my opinion. His power grinding game is going to be really hard to transfer up with his skating which will also have to get better for him to be an impact guy. Smart guy with a world of work ethic, hopefully he makes it worth. I am not investing a top 5 pick on those odds though, maybe Stevie and Drapes are willing to.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
im thinking theres a good chance that somebody will value drysdale more than detroit at 4 because weve already 2 righthand dmen , and then maybe a trade like the 4th for buffys cozens happens . though ive no idea of what buffalo needs thats just an example of a player i covet because i want too be big and rugged on D and at C , then fill in with whatever type wingers we can dig up

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
You nailed what I don't like about him and my difficulty projecting him up.

I mean the guy tries his ass off, it isn't about not liking the player and his personality is apparently delightful from everything I have read and the people I have talked to that know or are in the industry. It is purely a hockey thing and skills projection. The game he plays will have to change significantly, unless he is an outlier that somehow makes it work. I just don't see it. If we pick him, I will certainly root for him and frankly it will be easy, though I am going to be despondent for a few weeks post draft if I am being honest. Rossi never cheats you on effort, he is going to have to become a heck of a lot more elusive in my opinion. His power grinding game is going to be really hard to transfer up with his skating which will also have to get better for him to be an impact guy. Smart guy with a world of work ethic, hopefully he makes it worth. I am not investing a top 5 pick on those odds though, maybe Stevie and Drapes are willing to.
This is also why I've risen so much on Perfetti. He is already pretty good laterally, but he needs to work out a ton to improve his core strength which will make up for his lack of explosivity. I dont think he will ever be a real burner or super shifty, but he has the overall goal scoring, passing and hockey sense that scream top 6 Winger, with potential center upside.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
im thinking theres a good chance that somebody will value drysdale more than detroit at 4 because weve already 2 righthand dmen , and then maybe a trade like the 4th for buffys cozens happens . though ive no idea of what buffalo needs thats just an example of a player i covet because i want too be big and rugged on D and at C , then fill in with whatever type wingers we can dig up

I wouldn't trade Cozens for that. Cozens had a great year, currently a top 5 prospect in most publications. If we wanted Cozens we should have picked him over Seider. I know I wouldn't trade him if I was Buffalo for anybody but Laf or Byfield in this draft.

Cozens is going to be their second line center next year more than likely.

Those guys are really hard to get. I understand coveting it, I like him a great deal as a player.

I don't think we really have a ton of options aside from to pick the guy we like at four. I hope we are right on the selection. Trading in the top 5/10 really isn't frequent anymore.

It's fun to talk about, but the same reason we are okay with trading down is the same reason it is unlikely anybody is coming up to trade with us.

Reactions: jkutswings

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
I wouldn't trade Cozens for that. Cozens had a great year, currently a top 5 prospect in most publications. If we wanted Cozens we should have picked him over Seider. I know I wouldn't trade him if I was Buffalo for anybody but Laf or Byfield in this draft.
ya im a huge cozens backer . that said i would never trade seider for him as imo seiders going to be a top 5 in the nhl dman = superstar

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This was the same logic that got Barzal down the board and didn't turn out great. Certain elite guys really can loop around the zone waiting for the right pass. It isn't easy and you have to be special, but Stutzle is elite in the areas you need to be in order to do it. We will see. Stutzle versus Raymond is extremely close for me, I take Stutzle over Perfetti though.

Sure, and that’s not to say that Barzal is underwhelming or that Stutzle will be. But gun to my head, am I taking Mat Barzal or Kyle Connor, I personally don’t really have to think much about it. I’m taking the guy who looks like he’s got perennial 40 goal, point per game production stamped on his forehead. The differentiating factor being that when the chips are on the table, I want the guy who was an elite NHL ability to put the puck in the net.

I mean that draft was loaded, and there some names that popped up later in the draft that at the very least find themselves in the discussion with Barzal. Beyond Connor, you’ve got Chabot, Aho, Konecny. Certainly Boeser started out hot, but I think he’s a distant runner up in this group.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
why just because of his size? he’s 58% on the dot. has the lower body strength like crosby. And he’s pretty damn solid defensively and puck possession wise.

i’m not buying the fact that 1 or 2 inches of height changes anything in being able to play a position

You honestly think that taking faceoffs is the determining factor for playing center? Really? How about the other 99.99999% of the game? Rossi will not play center at the NHL level because he does not skate well enough for his size to adequately defend in the defensive zone at the NHL level. He will be liability at that position (at least in the top six) and moved to wing eventually. The brutal truth is that the NHL has not gotten that much smaller in the last ten years no matter how much the stats crowd drones on about it. There is a reason you don't see many players his size playing center at the NHL level. It has absolutely nothing to do with the neutral and offensive zones and everything to do with the requirements of playing the position in the defensive zone.

Rossi is going to break a lot of hearts. If only the junior game was substantially similar to the professional game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad