Speculation: Who Should Detroit Pick at 4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Especially when Drysdale is still going to be, what, three years away from joining the Wings and being a guy they can count on? Which would be right around the time Hronek is turning 25 and looking at a big contract that eats UFA years...hmmm...

Exactly. And while Hronek looks very good now, there was a time Shattenkirk was looking to be a fixture for the Blues. Or Del Zotto for the Rangers. And a dozen others I can't think of because the coffee isn't hitting hard enough.

Oh, Ghost for the Flyers! That's a good one. Guy came onto their roster looking like a solution for a long time.

Anyway, things change. You're not going to see a static group of guys slotted in nicely for the better part of a decade. Draft the best possible players and sort out the rest later, if there's even anything to sort at the time.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
For need vs BPA, I think it's more a spectrum than black and white anyways.

Each GM has their own "value" assigned to each position, based on the roster they have and their own personal philosophy. And it's likely as simple as Talent + Positional Value = Total Draft Stock.

Really, the only worthwhile debate is what score Yzerman gives to Positional Value for each position, considering the current roster, current prospects, and what he envisions for the type of playoff team he wants to build. (Which we really don't know yet.)

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
New Pronman mock from tonight
Pronman’s Mock Draft: Projecting the first round of the 2020 NHL Draft

1. NYR - Lafreniere
2. LA - Byfield
3. OTT - Stutzle
4. DET - Cole Perfetti
"The draft starts to get interesting and more wide-open starting with Detroit’s pick. I’ve heard Lucas Raymond mentioned with the Red Wings, but a fair amount of sources seem to think the team likes Cole Perfetti a lot. His elite skill and hockey IQ with average feet and size has a lot of resemblance to Brayden Point, who Detroit GM Steve Yzerman picked during his tenure in Tampa Bay.

Reactions: hkydave04

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Exactly. And while Hronek looks very good now, there was a time Shattenkirk was looking to be a fixture for the Blues. Or Del Zotto for the Rangers. And a dozen others I can't think of because the coffee isn't hitting hard enough.

Oh, Ghost for the Flyers! That's a good one. Guy came onto their roster looking like a solution for a long time.

Anyway, things change. You're not going to see a static group of guys slotted in nicely for the better part of a decade. Draft the best possible players and sort out the rest later, if there's even anything to sort at the time.

Exactly? Trading away Hronek at the ripe old age of 25?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Exactly? Trading away Hronek at the ripe old age of 25?

If he wants too much money, yeah. Or if he's not as good as we'd hoped. There's a dozen scenarios. You're old enough to have seen hundreds of them before, I'm sure you can think of few besides the ones I listed.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
i wonder what the chances are that drysdale goes 3rd to Ottowa and then they pick a winger/center with the 5th leaving the options of either byfield or stutzle on the table? Then who do you pick? whichever one LA doesnt but who would you rather have on the table out of those 2?

Nah, it will be Stutzle or Byfield whoever LA doesn't take. They have 2 early picks, they will take a defender with #5 is my guess.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Getting sick to my stomach at how Perfetti's perceived stock keeps rising. He often plays like William Nylander. Very good playmaker, and lots of skill and tons of flash down the wing, but looks like "Xbox Controller Disconnected" when he doesn't have the puck. Not interested. Drysdale, Rossi, or Raymond.

Also, after how we decided to be stupidly stubborn with Rasmussen on the CHL rule and ruined him just to prove a stupid point, the thought of what we would do to Perfetti makes my heart sink. He's not going to be NHL-ready until 2022-23 at the earliest.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Getting sick to my stomach at how Perfetti's perceived stock keeps rising. He often plays like William Nylander. Very good playmaker, and lots of skill and tons of flash down the wing, but looks like "Xbox Controller Disconnected" when he doesn't have the puck. Not interested. Drysdale, Rossi, or Raymond.

Also, after how we decided to be stupidly stubborn with Rasmussen on the CHL rule and ruined him just to prove a stupid point, the thought of what we would do to Perfetti makes my heart sink. He's not going to be NHL-ready until 2022-23 at the earliest.

When Perfetti is ready doesn't bother me.
For me it's 1) Do we think he can improve his skating enough to be center.
If the answer is yes, be patient, and maybe he's our Barzal.
If the answer is no, I don't want him at 4th.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If he wants too much money, yeah. Or if he's not as good as we'd hoped. There's a dozen scenarios. You're old enough to have seen hundreds of them before, I'm sure you can think of few besides the ones I listed.

We've got Seider to play 25 minutes a night and probably handle 2nd PP unit duties.
Hronek can be the 20-minute, first unit PP, takes the lesser defensive roles guy.

Seider-Hronek is too easy.
RD is one area where we should be set for 10-15 years.

Going out and drafting a RD for the second straight year in the top 6 seems really f***ing insane to me unless that guy is must-have, clearly superior.
And Drysdale is not.

Reactions: archimet and Henkka

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
For me it's 1) Do we think he can improve his skating enough to be center.
If the answer is yes, be patient, and maybe he's our Barzal.

Remove Barzal, insert Point, and I would agree with you. Odds are Perfetti will never be the same level of skater as Barzal, and Perfetti's shot is already better than Barzal's.

Reactions: hkydave04

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

That is the one part of Perfetti's game that gives me the biggest fear. He could easily be given that "floater" label pretty quickly around here.

His IQ and offensive ability are just off the charts imo, so I can't pass that up.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Huge over-exaggeration. His coach would not have lined up at as many games at center as he did if his defense was as bad as you suggest,

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm still in favor of getting Drysdale at 4, but I've warmed up to the idea of getting Raymond/Perfetti.

I think we still have a lot of untapped potential in the forwards that we've already drafted... that's why I want another top tier defenseman.

Zadina is really starting to become an impact player
Rasmussen will be full-time soon, injuries aside
Veleno is a year or so away, but could honestly make the NHL jump anytime
I think that Givani Smith will be a great bottom 6 player. Svechnikov is a wild card.

Outside of Seider, we don't have a lot of defense depth in the prospect pool. Defense isn't a sexy pick, but we do need it badly right now.

Reactions: Shultzyfeelinirie25

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Huge over-exaggeration. His coach would not have lined up at as many games at center as he did if his defense was as bad as you suggest,

He was very lackluster off the puck on the two occasions I've seen him live, as well as in that entire Guelph v Saginaw series last year. He's Nylander. That's a great player to take at 4, don't get me wrong. Just not this team's greatest need, nor in my opinion, would he be the BPA at #4.

Nylander was frequently used as a centre coming into the Leafs org as well FYI. When you're young and that skilled at that level, your defensive play doesn't dictate whether you play up the middle or on the wing as much as it does in the pros.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
I'm still in favor of getting Drysdale at 4, but I've warmed up to the idea of getting Raymond/Perfetti.

I think we still have a lot of untapped potential in the forwards that we've already drafted... that's why I want another top tier defenseman.

Zadina is really starting to become an impact player
Rasmussen will be full-time soon, injuries aside
Veleno is a year or so away, but could honestly make the NHL jump anytime
I think that Givani Smith will be a great bottom 6 player. Svechnikov is a wild card.

Outside of Seider, we don't have a lot of defense depth in the prospect pool. Defense isn't a sexy pick, but we do need it badly right now.
my thoughts exactly

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
To be brutally honest, neither will be a center long-term in the NHL. If you want a center after Byfield and Stutzle are off the board, take Lundell.
why just because of his size? he’s 58% on the dot. has the lower body strength like crosby. And he’s pretty damn solid defensively and puck possession wise.

i’m not buying the fact that 1 or 2 inches of height changes anything in being able to play a position

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
No one. They should filibusterer. Don't pick anyone, just get up there and read from the phone book in protest. Someone needs to stand up to the league and make them realize that replacing one broken system with a different more broken system didn't solve anything.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's a great player to take at 4, don't get me wrong. Just not this team's greatest need, nor in my opinion, would he be the BPA at #4.

Who do you think would provide a greater impact in this draft? Nylander did score 31 goals and put up 59 pts in 68 games this year. I mean... realistically... it's kind of hard to expect a lot more than that when you are drafting in the 4 slot.

Reactions: Winger98

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
anyways in order

who i want
rossi

who id be fine with
drysdale
perfetti

rather would trade down for
Raymond