Speculation: Who Should Detroit Pick at 4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
In a vacuum, I think Askarov is deserving of being taken at 4. I certainly think he is good enough.

But there are 2 bi-products of that selection I just cannot endorse.

1) It pretty much assuredly lengthens the re-build.
2) It puts a lot of additional pressure on you hitting on your picks in rounds 2-7.

Or a lot of pressure on guys like Zadina/Rasmussen/Seider to live up to their top 10 pick status.

We've had 3 straight years in the top 10.
How does everyone feel about the state of the rebuild given we've had 3 straight years in the top 10?
Honestly, this year is #4 in the top 10.
And we're probably going to have 3 more years in the top 10, minimum.

7 straight years of top 10 picks...Seems lengthy. That's where the Sabres are (and it's uglier, because they've had a #1 and 2 #2s.

If Zadina were Hughes and Rasmussen were Necas, would that change anything?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Or a lot of pressure on guys like Zadina/Rasmussen/Seider to live up to their top 10 pick status.

We've had 3 straight years in the top 10.
How does everyone feel about the state of the rebuild given we've had 3 straight years in the top 10?
Honestly, this year is #4 in the top 10.
And we're probably going to have 3 more years in the top 10, minimum.

7 straight years of top 10 picks...Seems lengthy. That's where the Sabres are (and it's uglier, because they've had a #1 and 2 #2s.

If Zadina were Hughes and Rasmussen were Necas, would that change anything?

Again, if you're solely trying to rebuild using only top 10 picks, it's going to take a 1,000 years. You have to hit on late round players to have any rebuild success.

Look at CHI Blackhawks for example from 2002-2007:

In 5 years they built a power house not because of Cam Barker (3rd overall), Jack Skille (7th overall), but because along with Kane and Toews, they snipped up Duncan Keith (54th), Byfuglien (245th), Hjalmarsson (108th), along with some smart trades.

We need some of Veleno, Lindstrom, Grewe, Johansson, Berggren, McIsaac + whoever we take late this draft to be hits.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Again, if you're solely trying to rebuild using only top 10 picks, it's going to take a 1,000 years. You have to hit on late round players to have any rebuild success.
Unless Yzerman is working on a package to move up he is going to have a great opportunity to do just that. Three 2's and two 3's this year can go a long way. There's an additional 2nd and 3rd next year too.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Unless Yzerman is working on a package to move up he is going to have a great opportunity to do just that. Three 2's and two 3's this year can go a long way. There's an additional 2nd and 3rd next year too.

Yeah and the 2nd round is STACKED with good players. Might be the most deep 2nd round in a long time.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This is great stuff, great post, Kingpin.

So I'm going to conclude from this that if we draft Perfetti, we're also going to get a new coach.

I've been Drysdale all the way, and Perfetti is one guy I was thinking we might regret drafting, but if we're going to finally rid ourselves of Blashcock or Babshill (I haven't watched hockey in so long that I honestly can't remember which of these I'd sandwich between "f*cking" and "dipsh*t")...I will allow it.

Perfetti has a lot of similarities to the types of successful forwards in Tampa, where Jon Cooper employs a very similar system as Jeff Blashill.

If anything, you would hope Perfetti would prove Yzerman right in keeping Blashill around.

Regardless, a pick won’t determine the coach. If Blashill moves on, he moves on. There should not be any heartache one way or another.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I have heard both those goalie prospects are good but neither has been compared to carey price like Askarov has and is

Knight brings impressive skills, mature approach to Panthers

First paragraph:

VANCOUVER -- Spencer Knight draws comparisons to Carey Price for how he plays between the pipes, but the impressions made by his approach between the ears played just as big a role in being the first goalie picked in the 2019 NHL Draft at Rogers Arena in Vancouver on Friday.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I have heard both those goalie prospects are good but neither has been compared to carey price like Askarov has and is

And?

Askarov did not have a great year. He was once talked about as a top 3 pick and now could fall out of the top 10. He lost the starting role at the WJC for his mediocre play.

This happens every single draft, people get enamoured with the latest draftee instead or older more proven prospects.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
And?

Askarov did not have a great year. He was once talked about as a top 3 pick and now could fall out of the top 10. He lost the starting role at the WJC for his mediocre play.

This happens every single draft, people get enamoured with the latest draftee instead or older more proven prospects.

Lol not a great year? A 920 SV in the 2nd best Russian men's league, 1 game in the KHL as a 17 year old is not great?

Yes his WJC was not the best but look at Byfield's WJC-20 tournament, and Lafreniere's WJC-20 tournament last year.

Askarov is exciting and the best goalie to be drafted since Vashilevsky

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So I suggested the Wings will be at 7 or 8 straight years of top 10 picks before they turn it around. Unless Zadina and Rasmussen are much better than I think, and get there fast, I think it's virtually guaranteed, to be honest.

I mentioned Buffalo has picked 7 straight years in the top 10.
This year will be 8 for Buffalo and 4 for Detroit.

It's important that teams NAIL their top 10 picks, right?
I don't think we nailed the Ras pick, even though I think he'll be a solid NHLer. The other guys are going to take some time.

Here's Buffalos 7 top 10 picks
Ristolainen: Taken before Horvat, Morin, Domi, Morrissey and Morin, among others. Can't complain that much. Nailed it.
Reinhart; Taken second. Taken right before Draisaitl. Ouch. But did anyone really have Drai going second? The next 4 guys in the draft are Bennett, Dal Colle, Virtanen, Fleury. Yes, they missed on Draisait. So did Florida at #1, for that matter. But they didn't draft one of the next four. Hard to complain much. We'll say nailed it.
Eichel: Obvious pick. Good pick. Nailed it.
A. Nylander: Taken right before Sergachev. Blew it. There are some middling players here, like Tyson Jost. And then you've got 3 straight guys who haven't established themselves in the NHL yet in Brown, McLeod and Bean. But obviously, this was not a good pick.
Mittelstadt: Mittestad has played 114 games, more than any of the next 12 guys drafted behind him and more than 3 of the guys drafted ahead of him. Tough pick to judge. Can't say they blew it. Can't say they nailed it.
Dahlin. Obvious pick. Looks like they nailed it..
Cozens: Too soon to tell.

Nylander stands out as the only pick they blew.

One of the team that surprises me a bit is Vancouver.
Looks like they blew it on Virtanen and Juolevi. But saves like Brock Boeser at 23 have helped them turn it around.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Interesting set of quotes. The game is less and less dump and chase. Will continue to be less so as time goes on. Perfetti knows what he is and what he isn't. Think this is why you see some people view him as busy material. He isn't meant for old style of play.

Not a big fan of these quotes. I doubt Yzerman and Co like them either.

Kid is in for a rude awakening if he maintains this mindset heading into the NHL.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-emptying-top-prospects-notebook/

"Rossi says he’s spoken to the Red Wings three times. The talks were good in his mind. Apparently Yzerman was on the Zoom calls but his camera was shut off. Imagine what the prospects might be thinking knowing he’s there but you can’t see him."

Article is a good read, sheds some light on the pre-draft and interview process.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

Look at CHI Blackhawks for example from 2002-2007:

In 5 years they built a power house not because of Cam Barker (3rd overall), Jack Skille (7th overall), but because along with Kane and Toews, they snipped up Duncan Keith (54th), Byfuglien (245th), Hjalmarsson (108th), along with some smart trades.

We need some of Veleno, Lindstrom, Grewe, Johansson, Berggren, McIsaac + whoever we take late this draft to be hits.
This.

Just luck of the draw.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

Kid is in for a rude awakening if he maintains this mindset heading into the NHL.

Honestly I think it's more important that teams not try to fit square pegs in round holes. If you're building a team that still wants to do a lot of dump and chase, then pass on him and take someone that better fits. If you're trying to do a more modern offense, take the skill/smarts.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
Honestly I think it's more important that teams not try to fit square pegs in round holes. If you're building a team that still wants to do a lot of dump and chase, then pass on him and take someone that better fits. If you're trying to do a more modern offense, take the skill/smarts.
I get the feeling Yzerman and Blash would both like to run a smarter more modern offense but are dumbing things down because they don’t have the square pegs yet.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Agreed.

Trade back, and get a guy/s who fits the mold if this is the GMs mindset.

My impression is that Yzerman isn't looking to do this (based off what he did in Tampa)...I'm thinking Perfetti is still the guy Detroit is leaning towards - unless of course LA/OTT surprise us all, and bypass either Byfield/Stutzle, and one of them drops to us.

Saw an interview on YouTube with Perfetti this past spring - seems hyped about becoming a Red Wing, but when asked about the potential of getting drafted by Ottawa - his facial expression :laugh:

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
NHL players are so boring as a whole that Perfetti becomes controversial for stating fact. It’s refreshing to hear an NHL player be honest.

Reactions: Darkseider
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

Weird. I interpreted that as the kid knowing his strengths and thanking and praising his coach for the way he puts him in a place to succeed.

Do we really want him to say gee shucks, hard work, and something about getting the puck on net? God forbid a highly intelligent kid stray from the soundbytes.

Last edited:

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Weird. I interpreted that as the kid knowing his strengths and thanking and praising his coach for the way he puts him in a place to succeed.

Do we really want him to say gee shucks, hard work, and something about getting the puck on net? God forbid a highly intelligent kid stray from the soundbytes.

It could be that way. There’s not much context to these tweets so maybe it was just him praising his coach. And I appreciate his honesty, it’s awesome.

My only takeaway is that even the most skilled players in the league have to do the things he’s downplaying. If you don’t, you’ll never have the puck. Zadina learned that lesson hard in his D+1 season. Perfetti might have to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad