Speculation: Who Should Detroit Pick at 4th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wouldnt be surprised if Yzerman drafts Askarov. Leave him for 2/3 years in the KHL and when our team is competitive he could come over. Then you have a potential starter for the next 15ish years.

Our team is going to be competitive in 2-3 years without using this 2020 top pick on a skater?

Bold statement.

Reactions: Darkseider

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Our team is going to be competitive in 2-3 years without using this 2020 top pick on a skater?

Bold statement.
I dunno. Based on recent franchise history, competitive can mean having an outside chance at sneaking into the playoffs, and thereby serving as token cannon fodder to any legit contender.

But yeah, not landing a high-end skater next month would seem like a missed opportunity.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands

Bold statement.

I dunno, maybe next year after drafting one of the top defenders in Power/Clarke/Edvinsson and in 2022 Shane Wright and seeing Rasmussen, Veleno, Seider, Johansson get promoted to NHL. Then maybe.

Reactions: Jon Cusack

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I dunno, maybe next year after drafting one of the top defenders in Power/Clarke/Edvinsson and in 2022 Shane Wright and seeing Rasmussen, Veleno, Seider, Johansson get promoted to NHL. Then maybe.

Please stop acting like we have a decent shot at Shane Wright, or that we should somehow factor that possibility into the plans.
It's literally the same thing as budgeting as if you were going to win the lottery.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Please stop acting like we have a decent shot at Shane Wright, or that we should somehow factor that possibility into the plans.
It's literally the same thing as budgeting as if you were going to win the lottery.

Notice the "maybe" in my sentence? :)
That's the best case scenario I am illustrating. But yeah I do believe we could be a play-off team in 3 years time if we get some pieces

Reactions: MBH

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
In a vacuum, I think Askarov is deserving of being taken at 4. I certainly think he is good enough.

But there are 2 bi-products of that selection I just cannot endorse.

1) It pretty much assuredly lengthens the re-build.
2) It puts a lot of additional pressure on you hitting on your picks in rounds 2-7.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
In a vacuum, I think Askarov is deserving of being taken at 4. I certainly think he is good enough.

But there are 2 bi-products of that selection I just cannot endorse.

1) It pretty much assuredly lengthens the re-build.
2) It puts a lot of additional pressure on you hitting on your picks in rounds 2-7.

I am not so sure outside of picking 1st OA, any player we pick was going to speed up the rebuild.

I am certain (and hopeful) that the DRW will be picking bottom four in 21 and 22 draft.

If Askarov has the most "franchise" potential at our draft spot in SY's eyes, then draft him

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Also people forget (or fail to acknowledge) while the #4 is an important pick, it's also imperative to hit on some late round gems (aka Point, Kucherov).

If all you can do is hit on your top picks, but can't snag some steals later in the draft... then you're nothing more than the 2007-2013 Edmonton Oilers.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
If we really want a goalie then lets just trade the 4th overall to Florida for Spencer Knight or trade it to the Islanders for Sorokin.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Also people forget (or fail to acknowledge) while the #4 is an important pick, it's also imperative to hit on some late round gems (aka Point, Kucherov).

If all you can do is hit on your top picks, but can't snag some steals later in the draft... then you're nothing more than the 2007-2013 Edmonton Oilers.

100% agreed. A rebuild is only as good as the teams ability to hit on some of their late round picks. Even ignoring the Point's and Kucherov's of TB they've got Palat, 7th round pick as an overager; Gourde, UDFA; Johnson, UDFA; and Killorn, 3rd round pick, who are all playing in key positions. You don't need to hit on every pick, but you should get at least something from your late round picks and I think it only becomes more important once you're an established contender. Having the ability to replace 2nd/3rd liners with players on ELCs is so valuable for a contending team.

In a lot of ways I think the Wings have some of those pieces in the "old" core. Mantha, Larkin, and Bertuzzi are all going to be key contributers for the Wings in 2-3 years time, but the rebuild will only go as far as Seider, the 2020, and 2021/2022 picks will carry them.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Interesting set of quotes. The game is less and less dump and chase. Will continue to be less so as time goes on. Perfetti knows what he is and what he isn't. Think this is why you see some people view him as busy material. He isn't meant for old style of play.

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Interesting set of quotes. The game is less and less dump and chase. Will continue to be less so as time goes on. Perfetti knows what he is and what he isn't. Think this is why you see some people view him as busy material. He isn't meant for old style of play.

This is great stuff, great post, Kingpin.

So I'm going to conclude from this that if we draft Perfetti, we're also going to get a new coach.

I've been Drysdale all the way, and Perfetti is one guy I was thinking we might regret drafting, but if we're going to finally rid ourselves of Blashcock or Babshill (I haven't watched hockey in so long that I honestly can't remember which of these I'd sandwich between "f*cking" and "dipsh*t")...I will allow it.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

He is such a perfect fit to run opposite Zadina on the other wing.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He is such a perfect fit to run opposite Zadina on the other wing.

I think Perfetti would maximize Zadina's potential. They just might be one of those cases where both guys becomes so much better because of it. Their games really fit each other, I am super intrigued by that aspect if we take him. I think Raymond could obviously compliment him too, but I have a feeling Perfetti is almost a better fit with Zadina. Still I would pick Raymond if it was ultimately up to me because I think he ultimately plays with Mantha and they would mesh pretty well in my opinion. I just trust him as a line driver even a little bit more. But I do think Perfetti is going to be a terrific offensive player, his offensive upside is enormous.

Perfetti - Rasmussen - Zadina could be kind of a tough line to contain offensively in a couple years I would hope. Plus there is also the 2021 or 2022 pick to think about long-term there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad