Who should be the next head of the Flames?

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I fully agree with this, no recycled coaches. The Dallas Stars head coach was a top coach in college and he has worked out great.

After the Peters situation, I hope the ownership takes the decision of coaching out of the hands of Brad Trevling and they give it to Don Maloney.

It is to my understanding, that similar to the situation where it seems like ownership does not allow for the salary retention on trades of our players, ownership also does not want to spend decent coin on a coach. BT is perhaps handcuffed on his decision making and the hire of Gully/Peters wasn't completely his fault if he's not allowed to stray from a shoe string budget.

Blysma, players will need a players coach and Blysma was pretty much set up to fail with Buffalo.

You want to bring a guy with Bill in his name after the current incident...

:naughty: Joking, joking.

Seriously though, I am livid about the Peters thing and I need some jokes or puppy gifs to calm the F down.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
It is to my understanding, that similar to the situation where it seems like ownership does not allow for the salary retention on trades of our players, ownership also does not want to spend decent coin on a coach. BT is perhaps handcuffed on his decision making and the hire of Gully/Peters wasn't completely his fault if he's not allowed to stray from a shoe string budget.

You want to bring a guy with Bill in his name after the current incident...

:naughty: Joking, joking.

Seriously though, I am livid about the Peters thing and I need some jokes or puppy gifs to calm the F down.

Hopefully this changes the ownership and they let management to spend good money on coaching.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Hopefully this changes the ownership and they let management to spend good money on coaching.

I agree about dropping the shackles of Treliving, but I have a hard time convincing myself a bigger budget for coaching is really necessary. Trotz was making less than peters is now when he won the cup.

Gully was true bargain bin though. He was rumored to be making 600-800K as HC.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Ward as interim coach for the rest of the regular season. Re-evaluate in the summer when more names become available. Someone like Laviolette would be the ideal, assuming the Predators make a change..
I think Treliving will steer well clear of any hardass coaches like Lavi. The risk of him having offended someone at some point of his career is just too great. The next coach will either be someone internal who they already know extremely well or a squeaky clean office worker type (like Hakstol).

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Why is Bylsma done in San Jose? News to most of NHL followers if so...

Dan Bylsma is the assistant coach of the Red Wings, which is news to you. Peter Deboer is the current head coach of San Jose who is still employed there. Which is also news to you. You plan on making me lose any more of my precious remaining IQ points with your sarcasm?

Last edited:

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I don't think that we'll see any "old school" guys behind the bench.

Conroy was on the ice during practice today. I know it means literally zero to read anything into that, but he'd certainly bring a positive aura to the room.
Interesting prospect there? Maybe he, and Gelinas and Iggy manning the bench?

Reactions: Tofveve

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Ward as interim coach for the rest of the regular season. Re-evaluate in the summer when more names become available. Someone like Laviolette would be the ideal, assuming the Predators make a change.

Will be interesting to see how this Peters situation affects their process though. Typically, an organization would want a more proven coach after something like this but they also tend to carry more baggage. But it'll be a tough sell to go with another unestablished hire after how bad Gulutzan and Peters have been.

Laviolette would not fit a young fun high flying team. Hes a grumpy no fun prick

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Give the team to Ward for the rest of the season on a trial basis. If he makes the post season, he has a job. If not, job gets posted . Also, Martin Gelinas is currently an assisstant on the team and Conroy is assistant GM.

Reactions: Tofveve and tmurfin

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I think it will be Ward as interim head coach and either one of Gelinas or Conroy as an assistant for the rest of the season. Then re-evaluate in the off-season when there are more coaches available.

Conroy is assistant GM and Gelinas is assistant coach. Read a book

Reactions: Tofveve

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Pretty sure Iginla is completely focused on his kids' minor hockey and spending time with them before they grow up and move out.

Maybe down the road he'll be interested in getting back into pro hockey in some capacity.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
No racist and physical abuse is a no no but please do not confuse that with a demanding coach.

This lazy team needs a motivator

forecheck

May 14, 2007
Just let the players Coach themselves - Pretty much where the sport is going anyways - may as well be ahead of the curve eh!

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Give the team to Ward for the rest of the season on a trial basis. If he makes the post season, he has a job. If not, job gets posted . Also, Martin Gelinas is currently an assisstant on the team and Conroy is assistant GM.
I think this is the right choice, according to all accounts the guys like Ward. Give him the reigns and see if he earns the job

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad