Who should be the next head of the Flames?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Ward as interim coach for the rest of the regular season. Re-evaluate in the summer when more names become available. Someone like Laviolette would be the ideal, assuming the Predators make a change.

Will be interesting to see how this Peters situation affects their process though. Typically, an organization would want a more proven coach after something like this but they also tend to carry more baggage. But it'll be a tough sell to go with another unestablished hire after how bad Gulutzan and Peters have been.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Darryl Sutter + Iggy as an associate coach until the end of the season. Not kidding

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Ward as interim coach for the rest of the regular season. Re-evaluate in the summer when more names become available. Someone like Laviolette would be the ideal, assuming the Predators make a change.

Will be interesting to see how this Peters situation affects their process though. Typically, an organization would want a more proven coach after something like this but they also tend to carry more baggage. But it'll be a tough sell to go with another unestablished hire after how bad Gulutzan and Peters have been.

Agree with this, just go with Ward. By Christmas time, if the team is out of it, start selling.

In the summer evaluate the core, look for a head coach and hopefully get a high draft pick.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Marty Gelinas would be my choice, at least for the interim. Team could use some positive people around them right now and Marty is as up beat as they come.

I certainly wouldn't rush anything, look how that ended up. Some good coaches might become available as this season goes along. Wonder what Laviolette could do here.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I mentioned this elsewhere but Rikard Grönborg as an off the board pick would interest me

More swedes

Reactions: GumbyCan2

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I think it will be Ward as interim head coach and either one of Gelinas or Conroy as an assistant for the rest of the season. Then re-evaluate in the off-season when there are more coaches available.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Probably ward at this point.

Just say no to sutter please. Hitch was godawful for Edmonton, and we don’t need another old school dino with this team.

Seriously though, brad cannot f*** up his next hire. Assuming ward is interim and someone else comes in during the off-season, that’ll be 5 coaches in 5 years. Not a lot of gm’s get that sort of leeway in his league.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Probably ward at this point.

Just say no to sutter please. Hitch was godawful for Edmonton, and we don’t need another old school dino with this team.

Seriously though, brad cannot **** up his next hire. Assuming ward is interim and someone else comes in during the off-season, that’ll be 5 coaches in 5 years. Not a lot of gm’s get that sort of leeway in his league.

The smart thing for Brad Trevling is to hire Ward as the interm. It gives him another bullet in the chamber and there will be more coaches come the off season.

Tical

Jul 1, 2013
I would love to see Todd Richards come aboard in some capacity, with Ward and Huska also on the staff.

Boudreau will be available this offseason, I believe, as well

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
A top NCAA coach

I fully agree with this, no recycled coaches. The Dallas Stars head coach was a top coach in college and he has worked out great.

After the Peters situation, I hope the ownership takes the decision of coaching out of the hands of Brad Trevling and they give it to Don Maloney.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
It’ll be a new era coach. I can’t see Treliving sticking his neck on the line for another older guy after this debacle. These stories are coming fast and they’re all aimed at the old boys, choice won’t be made until the offseason imo.

member 290103

As a Canuck fan, I vote Mike Keenan.

If that's a no go, how about Travis Green?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad