Speculation: Who should be the new GM of the Washington Capitals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think you missed the part where I'm going to be REALLY mad on this message board. I'm with Goon here!

Change! Hope! Brought to you by Rids, Goon and Tinner!

Our combined anger and displeasure will completely change the complexion of the team, turn them around and show infidels like TX how its done!

Everyone else...If you are not with us then you are against us!!!

So instead of dealing with reasonable arguments that challenge the position you believe is morally superior, you double down by ignoring what's actually said and substituting your own version in order to mock it with crude hyperbole.

Very convincing. Maybe that's why there's really only one or two of you on any given message board.

Liberati0n*

In the poll, are people voting strictly on which guy "should" be picked? I limited my choices to guys I believed were legitimate possibilities and then voted for Shero. I would've picked Will but there's really no indication he's on the radar at all.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I'm all in on Shero now just cause he has the balls and eyes to admit that Letang is bad and tried to trade him.

Hoping he can do the same with Green

s3AoP.gif

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
So instead of dealing with reasonable arguments that challenge the position you believe is morally superior, you double down by ignoring what's actually said and substituting your own version in order to mock it with crude hyperbole.

Very convincing. Maybe that's why there's really only one or two of you on any given message board.

Goon really...take of the rose colored glasses and release your anger on this very message board.

Surely that will get the results we seek right?

And for the record I LOVE hyperbole! I sprinkle it on my oatmeal for breakfast.

Trying to sound all intellectual doesn't work for you here. :sarcasm:

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
You mean like our 80s and 90s teams? Murray squared and Schoeny all had serious levels of accountability. We had multiple HOF defensemen and a HOF forward with 700 career goals (and another guy just outside of the HOF with 500)

Accountability does not necessarily equal success. There are about a billion other things involved
Forgive me for jumping into the middle of your internet pissing contest, but while the bold may be true, it is rare to have success without accountability. I believe that is the point he is trying to make and the one you tried to avoid by spinning it the other way around.

RockDaRed

May 13, 2013
Richmond,VA
Forgive me for jumping into the middle of your internet pissing contest, but while the bold may be true, it is rare to have success without accountability. I believe that is the point he is trying to make and the one you tried to avoid by spinning it the other way around.

Like when no one cared that Semin spent every night partying in DC during our good seasons?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Goon really...take of the rose colored glasses and release your anger on this very message board.

Surely that will get the results we seek right?

And for the record I LOVE hyperbole! I sprinkle it on my oatmeal for breakfast.

Trying to sound all intellectual doesn't work for you here. :sarcasm:

talking_egg.gif
TheOfficeStanleyNod_1308403066.jpg

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Enlighten me Stewie G...

What percise level of accountability is required to have success?

Lets say on a scale from 1 to 83.

Please tell me how you would arrive at your score as well. What are the factors that go into your computation? What was Boudreau's score compared to Hunters? What is Babcocks score?

Seeing as how you have had intimate knowledge of the locker room dealings it seems you are best suited to answer this for me.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Enlighten me Stewie G...

What percise level of accountability is required to have success?

Lets say on a scale from 1 to 83.

Please tell me how you would arrive at your score as well. What are the factors that go into your computation? What was Boudreau's score compared to Hunters? What is Babcocks score?

Seeing as how you have had intimate knowledge of the locker room dealings it seems you are best suited to answer this for me.
Geez. I'm starting to think you and tx are the same person.

Do you agree or disagree that accountability is an important factor in successful undertakings? That is the only point I was trying to make, no matter how much you'd like to make it into something bigger.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

Do you agree or disagree that accountability is an important factor in successful undertakings? That is the only point I was trying to make, no matter how much you'd like to make it into something bigger.

In order for me to answer that question isn't it necessary to define "accountability"? More specifically WHAT LEVEL of accountability are you referring to?

Joe Gibbs and Jimmy Johnson were GREAT coaches. They had MUCH different rules for guys like John Riggins and Troy Aikman than they had for some depth player.

Does that sound like accountability to you? If so what level? Does accountability mean every player plays by the same rules and gets the same punishment for the same infraction/indescretion??

I love how such "Knowledgable" fans throw out stuff like "Boudreau is sux! He has no accountability!"

Yet these same people can't even define it. Even should they define it they can't possibly know how to quantify it.

Its just a fashionable catch phrase they like to throw around to sound smart.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

False.

There are no successful undertakings. Everybody dies in the end.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
In order for me to answer that question isn't it necessary to define "accountability"? More specifically WHAT LEVEL of accountability are you referring to?

Joe Gibbs and Jimmy Johnson were GREAT coaches. They had MUCH different rules for guys like John Riggins and Troy Aikman than they had for some depth player.

Does that sound like accountability to you? If so what level? Does accountability mean every player plays by the same rules and gets the same punishment for the same infraction/indescretion??

I love how such "Knowledgable" fans throw out stuff like "Boudreau is sux! He has no accountability!"

Yet these same people can't even define it. Even should they define it they can't possibly know how to quantify it.

Its just a fashionable catch phrase they like to throw around to sound smart.

I feel like I'm watching Bill Bixby turn into Lou Ferrigno.

As far as I have ever seen in my entire life nobody has seriously asked another person to rate accountability on a quantifiable scale. Any donkey can tell if a system has no accountability, "zero tolerance" style massive accountability, or something in between. And anyone not engaged in trying to win an internet pissing match with semantic dodges will be able to compare systems and express opinions on the matter.

At this point I'm convinced that you are one bowl of Corn Pops over the limit today and you probably need a sedative.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I feel like I'm watching Bill Bixby turn into Lou Ferrigno.

As far as I have ever seen in my entire life nobody has seriously asked another person to rate accountability on a quantifiable scale. Any donkey can tell if a system has no accountability, "zero tolerance" style massive accountability, or something in between. And anyone not engaged in trying to win an internet pissing match with semantic dodges will be able to compare systems and express opinions on the matter.

At this point I'm convinced that you are one bowl of Corn Pops over the limit today and you probably need a sedative.

Don't get me angry...you won't like it if I get angry....

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
You get a sense of how accountability doesn't matter when you see Jeff Schultz get $10 million for being horrible. John Erskine re-signed every year for far more than he's worth. Tom Poti being extended early for no reason whatsoever. Marcus Johansson on the top line for years when he belongs in the press box. It sure looks like you get rewarded for just being there.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
You get a sense of how accountability doesn't matter when you see Jeff Schultz get $10 million for being horrible. John Erskine re-signed every year for far more than he's worth. Tom Poti being extended early for no reason whatsoever. Marcus Johansson on the top line for years when he belongs in the press box. It sure looks like you get rewarded for just being there.

Then no team has accountability.

Go to every other teams boards. There will be 4 or 5 guys who those fans will say the EXACT same thing about from their team. Why did we sign this guy? This other guy gets WAY too much!! Why is this other guy playing over player X? Fire the coach! Fire the GM!

Red Wings fans HATED Dan Cleary (among a couple other players). Babcock liked him and evaluated him differently. Therefore Babcock and the Wings org has no accountabiltiy because fans don't see why he plays over other players.

Pens fans say same stuff about Bylsma. Tanner Glass, Letang, Orpik, Scuderi etc

Rangers fans have long hated Brian Boyle and never understand why he gets ice time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think you are picking on players that you don't like. Erskine did what was asked of him every season. in some seasons his playoff play was pretty solid. ask br and rh. poti had been very good for his entire tenure. his extension would have been earned much like chimera's extension was earned. its fairly common knowledge now that both the caps and poti were convinced that his groin injury had fully healed and it had. it was only later discovered that a fractured pelvis was causing the injury to the groin.

what about Erskine and Poti signals lack of accountability?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Rewards are arbitrary.

ok...I wouldn't agree that Poti's contract extension was arbitrary. his play had been really strong during his first contract. he played all the big defensive minutes and was very effective. as I recall his extension was a hometown discount and would have been a good deal for the Caps had his injury not been so badly misdiagnosed.

what about poti's tenure with the capitals made his last contract arbitrary. I take that to mean the contract was not earned. I think it was pretty obvious that it was in fact.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
it is what you said. "The Caps have another 17 years without a Cup to go before we can start talking about it getting worse as far as a GM goes"

do I think ted is going to let the team stink for another 17 years? no, but I don't buy that McPhee's 17 teams stank. I think there were several quality teams that didn't win the cup. unless you are saying that no cup = stink.

I will just put this to rest. I am fine that McPhee is gone. I hope they hire a good gm. I wont judge said gm til he has showed his work. I am not going to say he is the wrong guy because leonsis waited too long to hire him. I will wait and see what the team is like. Right now I have no position on anything because nothing is on the table to value.

And my point to you this thread has been that many on here agree with that last paragraph you just wrote. Me inclusive "a McPhee Hator". Your comments make it sound like everyone just rails on for the sake of it.

Most don't. Many did because they wanted George gone. Now that he has been exorcised, we can all sit back and see what happens. No rushes to judgments...just like you.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think you missed the part where I'm going to be REALLY mad on this message board. I'm with Goon here!

Change! Hope! Brought to you by Rids, Goon and Tinner!

Our combined anger and displeasure will completely change the complexion of the team, turn them around and show infidels like TX how its done!

Everyone else...If you are not with us then you are against us!!!

You've gone off the reservation. I honestly don't know what our trying to say here, I'm mad all the time on here? Is that it?

Sure, occasionally it happens. Guilty as charged. I could be a passive Pollyanna I guess. Like some. But thats not how I react to stuff. Not healthy to keep stuff in Bob. Good to let it out. Didn't your shrink teach you that yet?

Are you still sore at me for calling you out regarding your moronic predictions for the Caps this past year? Erskine top D...Oates a coaching genius...Playoffs a lock.... Top 4 in east....etc etc etc? Someone sounds Mad alright.

Lol.

To each their own, big guy.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
You've gone off the reservation. I honestly don't know what our trying to say here, I'm mad all the time on here? Is that it?

Sure, occasionally it happens. Guilty as charged. I could be a passive Pollyanna I guess. Like some. But thats not how I react to stuff. Not healthy to keep stuff in Bob. Good to let it out. Didn't your shrink teach you that yet?

Are you still sore at me for calling you out regarding your moronic predictions for the Caps this past year? Erskine top D...Oates a coaching genius...Playoffs a lock.... Top 4 in east....etc etc etc? Someone sounds Mad alright.

Lol.

To each their own, big guy.

Just saying I'm with you!

I've decided once again to get MAD (Like REALLY MAD....MAD as in "my dog just horked my Cheetos" MAD) on the internet and let it out. Without the combined anger of you and Goon there was no way GMGM was going to be let go by Ted.

Your intense internet scrutiny forced Ted's hand and for that I applaud you.

Good work dawg! :)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Just saying I'm with you!

I've decided once again to get MAD (Like REALLY MAD....MAD as in "my dog just horked my Cheetos" MAD) on the internet and let it out. Without the combined anger of you and Goon there was no way GMGM was going to be let go by Ted.

Your intense internet scrutiny forced Ted's hand and for that I applaud you.

Good work dawg! :)

So mocking fellow fans using words and emotions you made up is somehow better than anyone ever being disappointed or unhappy with a professional sports franchise?

I don't think you really have this zen/acceptance thing down.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
So mocking fellow fans using words and emotions you made up is somehow better than anyone ever being disappointed or unhappy with a professional sports franchise?

I don't think you really have this zen/acceptance thing down.

We're a team now Goon. Have to stick together and channel our hate in the proper direction if we want to change the fortunes of the team which clearly we have direct control over.

Since GMGM is gone we have to come up with a new plan of attack. I suggest we go after Ted first. The new GM should get a pass since it won't be his fault he got hired.

MJ, Brouwer, Green, and Laich are the players I have in my line for the Volcano plank.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
We're a team now Goon. Have to stick together and channel our hate in the proper direction if we want to change the fortunes of the team which clearly we have direct control over.

Since GMGM is gone we have to come up with a new plan of attack. I suggest we go after Ted first. The new GM should get a pass since it won't be his fault he got hired.

MJ, Brouwer, Green, and Laich are the players I have in my line for the Volcano plank.

You may want to check in with your doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia