Speculation: Who should be the new GM of the Washington Capitals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
funny. I said the caps wouldn't get trotz because shero would hire trotz to replace bylsma. ha.

Now Trotz appears to be hiring Shero as gm. ha

on the other hand. is everyone really ok with trotz saying "no shero, no trotz"??

MacLellan would be more fun for meltdown watching than Fishman

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
The one I would be worried about on that list is Button. With that said, I would be pretty surprised if it isn't Shero.

Agreed. I mean, if Ted is even talking to Button I don't see how the Caps have any chance in the near future. Shero won a Cup. I'm not sure he's the best guy to build a franchise but maybe he is. Ted makes it hard to be optimistic about this team.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think it's pretty clear that Dick Patrick is the one actually doing the leg work on these decisions.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
‏@SkyKerstein: I'm hearing the same names @ChuckGormleyCSN wrote about today...Shero, Fenton, Button & the promoting of MacLellan (don't rule out) #Caps

Operation Shero Beautification.

@pensreport: Been told by person w/ the Pens & still close to him, it's expected Ray Shero will be offered the Capitals GM job. Bizarre for us in Pgh.

@pensreport: Also, the hold-up on the Trotz deal is apparently him making sure they've lined up Shero for GM. He wants that particular GM/HC combo.

Crazy. RE: Coach... with all the recent hires having no NHL head coaching experience I'm fine with Trotz. Just wondering if an old dog can embrace some nu. And keep Mahoney and Co..

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Here's the Japers' Rink piece on Trotz, with links inside to some Nashville stuff.

What can we expect if Barry Trotz comes to Washington?

Throughout the offseason and into training camp, Predators Coach Barry Trotz has said he wants his team to get better at transitioning the puck, to focus on carrying the puck into the attack (rather than dumping it into the corner and chasing it down). During free agency, General Manager David Poile lauded the amount of shots (read our explanation of Corsi and its relationship to possession and success) his free-agent acquisitions produced and, in some cases, how well those new players carried the puck. It's an easy leap to make between [Eric] Tulsky's research, his relationship with the team and this new emphasis from the Predators decision-makers.

J.P. quoting J.R. Lind of the Nashville Post.

J.P.'s words (regarding same Nashville Post article):

the article and Trotz’s new-found interest in analytics immediately pre-date the 2013-14 season. Barry Trotz, it seems, has chosen "adapt" over "die."

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Trotz is sounding like the polar opposite of Oates. Which is nice.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I thought we wanted Patrick fired

Yeah 32 years on the job with no Cup and a string of baffling personnel decisions, I guess we're just being impatient. We can spend tomorrow editing our apology letters to DP for jumping the gun. Then we'll email Trotz and the new GM about a parade route on Tuesday.

Makes complete sense to ignore 32 years of failure in favor of the assumed succes of an unannounced hire. No conflict there. Nope.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah 32 years on the job with no Cup and a string of baffling personnel decisions, I guess we're just being impatient. We can spend tomorrow editing our apology letters to DP for jumping the gun. Then we'll email Trotz and the new GM about a parade route on Tuesday.

Makes complete sense to ignore 32 years of failure in favor of the assumed succes of an unannounced hire. No conflict there. Nope.

so, we do want Patrick fired. thought so. I was not a big fan of shero and if Patrick hires him, then I should be critical. but I have been told I cant be. so I guess I will live with it.

meanwhile....we are learning things. Patrick is going to hire trotz who is a former cap coach. so it might be that it was not McPhee but Patrick that liked those legacy picks. and now that we know trotz is in a position to tell Patrick who he wants as gm....then.

but yea. I am not allowed to complain. go Patrick, go Trotz, go Team!! I am trying to get with the program here.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
uccT4tK.jpg

Ugh.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That reads like:

I love facts when they are indeed facts, not someone's opinion. except when I disagree with them.

I am not interested in arguing with you about this. I will only say that epistemology does not need to be confusing. I wish you all the best.

Has nothing to do with disagreeing with your opinion. You stated "Ted just isn't an independent thinker. He does what he thinks will make the group happy". Unless you know the guy and are in the inner circle, it's just your opinion. Glad we've clarified that.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If our GM demands full control of the team, who gives a rats ass about Patrick. He isn't going anywhere until he starts grooming a replacement e.g 99.

More than who our GM is, may be him demanding full control of the team. If you get your guy but he is just a pawn, BFD. It seems to be the trend in management, multiple layers and fans really having no idea who is calling the big shots.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
If our GM demands full control of the team, who gives a rats ass about Patrick. He isn't going anywhere until he starts grooming a replacement e.g 99.

More than who our GM is, may be him demanding full control of the team. If you get your guy but he is just a pawn, BFD. It seems to be the trend in management, multiple layers and fans really having no idea who is calling the big shots.

The chain of command does seem to change with the wind.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Trotz is sounding like the polar opposite of Oates. Which is nice.

Yep. Oates tried to ram round pegs into square holes (and yes, I said that backwards on purpose, his system was terrible) and Trotz is open to just putting them where they fit.

Dump and chase game isn't working? MORE DUMP AND CHASE!

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The chain of command does seem to change with the wind.

I suspect its common for a GM to be stripped of duties but otherwise retained, to avoid all the publicity and uncertainty involved with change.

The GMs make the same salary and keep the same title. The bosses think they know it all, and definitely know they still need a GM so they are not the lightning rod. So they limit powers and do what the mouthpiece couldn't.

And then when THAT fails (think the Oates hire), the GM finally gets the ax.

My theory, every GM should have been fired before they were, and that a team never won a cup with the owner making GM decisions.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
so, we do want Patrick fired. thought so. I was not a big fan of shero and if Patrick hires him, then I should be critical. but I have been told I cant be. so I guess I will live with it.

meanwhile....we are learning things. Patrick is going to hire trotz who is a former cap coach. so it might be that it was not McPhee but Patrick that liked those legacy picks. and now that we know trotz is in a position to tell Patrick who he wants as gm....then.

but yea. I am not allowed to complain. go Patrick, go Trotz, go Team!! I am trying to get with the program here.

You're trying WAY too hard.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I suspect its common for a GM to be stripped of duties but otherwise retained, to avoid all the publicity and uncertainty involved with change.

The GMs make the same salary and keep the same title. The bosses think they know it all, and definitely know they still need a GM so they are not the lightning rod. So they limit powers and do what the mouthpiece couldn't.

And then when THAT fails (think the Oates hire), the GM finally gets the ax.

My theory, every GM should have been fired before they were, and that a team never won a cup with the owner making GM decisions.

It will be telling if Ted and Dick bring in an independent thinker who demands autonomy or a crony who is willing to submit to Ted and Dick's whims. The Caps haven't had many independent thinkers in the history of the team. Dale Hunter was. Bengt was as I remember. Poile should have been but wasn't. He should have quit before letting Scott Stevens go, for example.

Liberati0n*

Are there any interviews with Brian MacLellan online anywhere? Google says no. Internal hire, yeah, but I wonder what he's like. I'm really asserting my own primacy as an individual right now by being drunk #independenthinking #alissa

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'm getting a little stressed that we haven't seen anymore tweets. The holiday causing the delay maybe?

Or as the Cap fan in me thinks, "The whole deal fell apart"!!!! :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad