Who should be our Game 1 Goalie?

Who is our best option?

• Total voters

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Off topic.

Anyone else feel or notice the team seems to play better overall behind Drieger vs Bob.
I think it looks like it but is kind of accidental. What I mean is that I think Bob is a more active goalie, and actually sees the play development really well (I’m not taking about shots), probably better than Driegs. I think this causes timing issues for Bob with own D.

For example, I’ve noticed a shot come in, intended as a pass or a rebound to pass, and Bob sees it early and believes he’s directing the rebound intentionally to his own D, but they’re not with him mentally. I’ve also seen Bob anticipate a proper defensive play, adjust his positioning accordingly, but then the play doesn’t happen as he expected.

Driegs on the other hand is a less active goalie who plays a simpler game. Bob would probably benefit from not being too aggressive in helping with the game flow. Our D, particularly with Gudas and Yandle, just aren’t good enough for that active role goalie. Bob should just swallow the puck, get the face off, and not worry about it.... but I think he worries about deflections and screens quite a lot so he’s trying to limit D zone face offs.

Just my take on it... but I never played goalie or D (always forward)...

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Off topic.
Anyone else feel or notice the team seems to play better overall behind Drieger vs Bob.

It’s definitely been that way but I would chalk it up to random chance in a small sample of games rather than some reason like “instilling confidence”.
Considering 49 goalies that have played more than 1,000 minutes this year:
Bob ranks 15th in shots against per 60 while Driedger ranks 37th. If you prefer expected goals against per 60, Bob ranks 17th while Driedger ranks 43rd.
I’ve brought this up in the past because I think it helps explain some (not all) of the discrepancy in the numbers between the two but some try to pin it on Bob for not inspiring the team in front of him to play better or allowing rebounds.
Of course Bobs get more shots on, out of 49 goalies with 1000 minutes, he's 45th in low danger shot SV%, so you don't really need to get in good position to score on him, just spray and pray.
Rebounds are brought up for a good reason, Bob's 42nd in rebounds against while Driedger is 11th best. It's the same players playing the same system, only one player isn't the same. Also, rebounds drive up the xGA/60 because they are high danger shots and he's bringing that on himself.

I think it looks like it but is kind of accidental. What I mean is that I think Bob is a more active goalie, and actually sees the play development really well (I’m not taking about shots), probably better than Driegs. I think this causes timing issues for Bob with own D.
For example, I’ve noticed a shot come in, intended as a pass or a rebound to pass, and Bob sees it early and believes he’s directing the rebound intentionally to his own D, but they’re not with him mentally. I’ve also seen Bob anticipate a proper defensive play, adjust his positioning accordingly, but then the play doesn’t happen as he expected.
Driegs on the other hand is a less active goalie who plays a simpler game. Bob would probably benefit from not being too aggressive in helping with the game flow. Our D, particularly with Gudas and Yandle, just aren’t good enough for that active role goalie. Bob should just swallow the puck, get the face off, and not worry about it.... but I think he worries about deflections and screens quite a lot so he’s trying to limit D zone face offs.
If you were in Bob's shoe, would you have realize by now that it's not working after 2 years? Heck, it seems you have already did. So how many more years should we expect Bob, a 2-time Vezina winning pro goalie, to come to that realization?

Reactions: Clint

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Of course Bobs get more shots on, out of 49 goalies with 1000 minutes, he's 45th in low danger shot SV%, so you don't really need to get in good position to score on him, just spray and pray.
Rebounds are brought up for a good reason, Bob's 42nd in rebounds against while Driedger is 11th best. It's the same players playing the same system, only one player isn't the same. Also, rebounds drive up the xGA/60 because they are high danger shots and he's bringing that on himself.

If you were in Bob's shoe, would you have realize by now that it's not working after 2 years? Heck, it seems you have already did. So how many more years should we expect Bob, a 2-time Vezina winning pro goalie, to come to that realization?
And Fleury is 2nd in most rebounds against. Saros top 10. Binnington and Hellebuyck also near the top. I don’t think that stat explains much. In fact I’d wager it’s mostly a direct correlation with shots against.

Driedger actually has the 3rd highest shot distance against and his average goal allowed distance is 2nd highest in the NHL. Bob is 17th and 18th. Numbers aren’t backing up your spray and pray hypothesis for Bob.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Does anyone actually believe that Bob will agree to mutually terminate his contract with 5 years and 46 million left on it?

The organization has to hope he can play better. Zito has seen it first hand in CBus. He really has no choice but to hope he can rebound with a more structured D core. After just one season it is getting better, we can only hope another offseason D overhaul will help with taking another step forward.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Ilya Kovalchuk left tens of millions on the table when he and Jersey terminated their deal so he can go to the KHL. I don’t think Bob would do it, but if he ends up regressing further I don’t think it’s an impossible scenario

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I was only trying to add an opinion to the conversation. I have no idea what’s transpired between Bob and the team.

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018

Interesting. My takes was always this.

- Driegs likes to play the puck way more, avoid face-offs as much as possible. He always tries to keep the play alive and wants a fast paced game. Seems like the guys like this.

- Bob prefers to keep a slower pace game. Cover up pucks more and rely on the boys to develop plays from our zone.

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
Does anyone actually believe that Bob will agree to mutually terminate his contract with 5 years and 46 million left on it?

The organization has to hope he can play better. Zito has seen it first hand in CBus. He really has no choice but to hope he can rebound with a more structured D core. After just one season it is getting better, we can only hope another offseason D overhaul will help with taking another step forward.

No I think he will ride it out and collect his payday.

Only thing I see happening is we eat some of his salary and trade him to another team. My guess is he makes 6-7MM somewhere else and we pay 3 to not have him.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Interesting. My takes was always this.

- Driegs likes to play the puck way more, avoid face-offs as much as possible. He always tries to keep the play alive and wants a fast paced game. Seems like the guys like this.

- Bob prefers to keep a slower pace game. Cover up pucks more and rely on the boys to develop plays from our zone.
Ummm you live in opposite land? Judge shys away from the puck. I would say he is the worst goalie on the team between Bob, Knight, and him playing the puck. He almost seems very uncomfortable.

Whereas Bob I think is head-and-shoulders the best goalie on the team playing the puck. Remember that one game against Detroit where he stepped up in the low hash marks and shot the puck the length of the ice on the PK. He is very active getting out of the net to play the puck and rarely gives it away.

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
Ummm you live in opposite land? Judge shys away from the puck. I would say he is the worst goalie on the team between Bob, Knight, and him playing the puck. He almost seems very uncomfortable.

Whereas Bob I think is head-and-shoulders the best goalie on the team playing the puck. Remember that one game against Detroit where he stepped up in the low hash marks and shot the puck the length of the ice on the PK. He is very active getting out of the net to play the puck and rarely gives it away.

Apparently yes I do....
I don't disagree Bob is the better goalie, just seems like Driegs and the team vibe more when playing together.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Knight started game 1. For the most part, aside from Yandle, the better players have gotten the ice time.
Looks like Q knows how to keep the players on the edge so they don’t get too comfortable. That sounds like a good idea for PO’s.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Q has a history of riding the hot hand in the playoffs regardless of who the starter was during the season.

He has been very fair all year.

Knight could be argued as playing the best currently.

Reactions: harv33173

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Apparently yes I do....
I don't disagree Bob is the better goalie, just seems like Driegs and the team vibe more when playing together.
Sorry if you took it the wrong way, I wasn't talking about the better overall goalie, I was merely just talkin Puck handling ability.
Bob is one of the best I've ever seen actually.

Reactions: austropanther

CursedCats

Mar 10, 2020
Sorry if you took it the wrong way, I wasn't talking about the better overall goalie, I was merely just talkin Puck handling ability.
Bob is one of the best I've ever seen actually.

I wouldn’t go that far, but I do agree that Judge is pretty bad at it. I would say it’s Driedger’s most noticeable weakness. I hate when he goes out to handle the puck.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
And Fleury is 2nd in most rebounds against. Saros top 10. Binnington and Hellebuyck also near the top. I don’t think that stat explains much. In fact I’d wager it’s mostly a direct correlation with shots against.

Driedger actually has the 3rd highest shot distance against and his average goal allowed distance is 2nd highest in the NHL. Bob is 17th and 18th. Numbers aren’t backing up your spray and pray hypothesis for Bob.
Rebounds count for shots against, so so if you give more rebounds you are increasing the number of shots. It's self feeding. If you take out the rebound from the shot total, then the correlation all but disappear.

Rebounds and goals from rebounds cut down on shot distance and goal allowed distance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad