Series Talk: ECSF: New York Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes (NYR Lead 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
A familiar and frustrating story. Outside observers want to point to a 5v5 system that doesn’t work in the postseason or goaltending or team toughness. Everyone has a favorite narrative. It’s really special teams. They’re now a net (of nets) -19 in the playoffs in those game situations under Rod. And he’s tried every combination to make the PP work. It is what is.

With that being said, they still have a shot here. The Rangers have blown a 2-0 series lead in consecutive postseasons. Last year’s saw their PP burn out against New Jersey after a similar red hot start. The Canes have won 3 or more home games in a series 6 times in this era, including one that saw them do a home sweep and win a Game 7 on the road (Washington 2019).

I would be surprised if Game 3 wasn’t a possession blowout and thus a 5v5 heavy game. They should bring their best with the season on the line and the crowd behind them.

I don’t know how Carolina fans can fight the argument they lack game breakers

They have an elite team but no elite players. Been like that for years, doesn’t mean they can’t win this series but can’t see how it’s the recipe to win Cups, which is the end goal

Reactions: cheech70

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Carolina genuinely was GARBAGE against the islanders save for two big third periods in games 2 and 5 btw

Anyone shocked at the Rangers being up 2-0 hasn't paid attention. Also, the whiplash from facing a garbage PK unit to a top unit in the Rangers is there. Freddy Anderson also looks worse when he actually has to face a team who also shoots the damn puck. To the Hurricanes, I hope this spells the end of Brind'amour and co if they get beaten by the Rangers. The past six years have been a tremendous waste of time and effort.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The gift that keeps on giving.

But we won the internet with twitter likes so Carolina wins I guess

The WORST thing Carolina did was overpay this man nearly 5M a year, despite him never scoring more than 35 points in Montreal. His career high is 43. Also Trochek has been money for the Rangers ever since. I DESPISE the Rangers but he's the biggest X factor for why the Rangers are playing even better on an already ridiculous power play. Kotkaniemi hasn't even done a single thing close to what Trocheck can do.

For all the crap I hear my team "overpaying" really meh players, I have never, and I mean NEVER, heard a single soul mention just how horrible the Jesperi Kotkaniemi contract has been for the Carolina Hurricanes. This is a player who played just nine minutes in a double OT game, a player who barely plays with good pressure, and who's only good was drawing penalties. If you really decided that this dude was worth keeping over Vincent Trochek, then your team deserves to lose this series.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

League won't do shit about the garbage refs unless they get caught hot mic'd they want to call a penalty on anything to even up the game.

Looked to me like Necas ducked under that hit which is why Trouba went flying over top. No doubt Jacob was looking for a big hit but intent to injure is a leap. Conversely some might wonder exactly what Svechnikov was trying to do when he backflipped Sheshterkin.

GG96

Feb 21, 2020
This series would be even better if the refs stopped calling every ticky tack penalty. Games that go to double overtime shouldn't be decided by a nothing cross check that happens 100 times a game.
Except that Skjei would have had a potential partial break. Don’t want a penalty called? Don’t crosscheck in the middle of the slot without anyone else within 15 feet

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
You can screenshot the Trouba "hit" at the moment where he thought there would be contact and the elbow is in and the skates are down. He doesn't get contact which he is bracing for with his arm tucked, and his arm goes up as he goes into the boards so as to not die.

BUT PLEASE SUSPEND HIM. This series would end in 4. The Canes fans better be careful what they wish for.

Reactions: ecemleafs

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Except that Skjei would have had a potential partial break. Don’t want a penalty called? Don’t crosscheck in the middle of the slot without anyone else within 15 feet
If they are going to call it there, they should call it all over the ice. Those cross checks happen 100 times a game in front of the net and in the corners. You can't just call it because Trocheck loses his balance. Honestly all 3 penalties called in OT were weaker and I think should have been let go. The refs injected themselves into the game, and it made for a worse product.

That + the Fox flops that the refs kept calling made the game less enjoyable.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global

League won't do shit about the garbage refs unless they get caught hot mic'd they want to call a penalty on anything to even up the game.

Stop your whining. Necas created that whole situation by being a gutless bitch. You want suspensions? What about your guy trying to take out our goalie.

Looking forward to sweep you guys back to irrelevancy.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Hurricanes have no one but themselves to blame for being in this hole. PP sucks and PK hasn't been doing them any favors. And the Rangers have given then AMPLE chances at correcting that PP issue.
Brind'Amour is gonna have to figure out how to actually make an adjustment on the PP. When your team underperforms on special teams year after year in the playoffs, it's probably because there's extensive scouting and planning done to stop you, and at some point you have to move away from the same shit you did over and over in the regular season. Regular season success means bupkis when you get into the playoffs and teams can actually focus entirely on shutting down what you do well.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
You can screenshot the Trouba "hit" at the moment where he thought there would be contact and the elbow is in and the skates are down. He doesn't get contact which he is bracing for with his arm tucked, and his arm goes up as he goes into the boards so as to not die.

BUT PLEASE SUSPEND HIM. This series would end in 4. The Canes fans better be careful what they wish for.
Not one to defend Trouba, because he definitely has a tendency to get his elbow up on hits. But the slow motion replay does make it hard to pick apart voluntary movements vs. the result of changes in momentum. It looks *to me* like his arms move out because of the momentum change, but I totally get people not trusting him. Trouba often aims to hit high. (PS I'm an Islander fan, fwiw.)

Unlike the Islanders, the Rangers are out-goaltending the Canes. And goaltending is definitely the Cane's Achilles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad