Who should be our Game 1 Goalie?

Who is our best option?

• Total voters

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Start bob, but if he loses and gives up 3 or more in the process then switch to driedger.

ride whoever until they lose, then flip
This has literally been the setup all year. Q will ride the hot hand.

Posters just mad Judge didnt run away with it despite how hard they wished for it, and how annoyingly they complained about it all year.

Bob started cold and improved, Judge was lights out early and has been regressing to the mean.

Bob will start Game 1, you can count on it. After that we'll see.

Not sure why anyone is surprised I have been saying this all year.

Reactions: FlaPanthers11

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I honestly don't know which of the three I want to start.
But I do know that if Bob plays himself onto the bench during the playoffs, he needs to be shown the door.

It's beyond him being an expensive platoon goalie. He was horrible last season, and he didn't consistently play like a starter this year either. If he's still a 1b quality guy, then we could all stomach a goalie platoon that totaled a $10.925m cap hit. But a team cannot be competitive if it's saddled with a $10m backup plus another $3m+ in dead cap from Luongo, Darling, and whatever we do with Yandle and Stralman.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I honestly don't know which of the three I want to start.
But I do know that if Bob plays himself onto the bench during the playoffs, he needs to be shown the door.

It's beyond him being an expensive platoon goalie. He was horrible last season, and he didn't consistently play like a starter this year either. If he's still a 1b quality guy, then we could all stomach a goalie platoon that totaled a $10.925m cap hit. But a team cannot be competitive if it's saddled with a $10m backup plus another $3m+ in dead cap from Luongo, Darling, and whatever we do with Yandle and Stralman.
Bob needs to improve no doubt, this franchise is too far invested.

Reactions: Ratsreign

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
The rest of the team does matter.

Binnington’s 2019 playoffs save % was .911 and his SC finals was 0.901.

That’s some perspective.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I’m sure Q is thinking about this a lot. He’ll surely play Bob in one of the two last games against Bolts and Driegs in the other. How those go will probably determine the starter - if both are great or neither is great, then it’s Bob. That’s my guess anyway.

This is probably what happens. Who knows, maybe the mental pinballs in Bob's head align and he stones Tampa again in the playoffs.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
I’m sure Q is thinking about this a lot. He’ll surely play Bob in one of the two last games against Bolts and Driegs in the other. How those go will probably determine the starter - if both are great or neither is great, then it’s Bob. That’s my guess anyway.

Q will go with Bob game 1 no matter what happens in the last two games against Tampa.

Reactions: Ratsreign

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I would not put all the blame on Bob, he might not have performed at Vezina winner level at times but the play off losses weren’t entirely on him
No offense, but if Bob wasn't standing on his head, none of these CBJ teams was doing any winning. Winning was on him, not the losses.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
Q will go with Bob game 1 no matter what happens in the last two games against Tampa.
tampa just beat detroit in regulation so i believe they get home ice. i would rest some of our guys in the next 2 games and bring it balls to the wall when the actual playoffs start. i believe we have a chance!!!!!! goooooocatttttssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!

radkison

May 14, 2011
Mississippi
Contract is the exact reason why Bob will be starting. It's the reason he's been getting starts at all when Driedger ran away with the job for a year. Heck even now when Driedger has been in a slump his save % is still .923 vs Bob's .904.
Hey, he's ahead of Holtby, Rinne, and Price

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
This has literally been the setup all year. Q will ride the hot hand.

Posters just mad Judge didnt run away with it despite how hard they wished for it, and how annoyingly they complained about it all year.

Sorry but this is nonsense. Judge was never running away with the starting job here, they were going to go back to Bob until he gets his shit together no matter how long it took. They are married to him and everyones knows it.

Meanwhile are you guys getting paid to promote Bob or what. Is it really so hard to criticise him? His numbers suck. His contract is terrible. He's a likeable guy so I guess there's that lol. The mental gymnastics are just weird with him, his tenure has been a total failure here so far and it's visible to everyone in the league.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Sorry but this is nonsense. Judge was never running away with the starting job here, they were going to go back to Bob until he gets his shit together no matter how long it took. They are married to him and everyones knows it.

Meanwhile are you guys getting paid to promote Bob or what. Is it really so hard to criticise him? His numbers suck. His contract is terrible. He's a likeable guy so I guess there's that lol. The mental gymnastics are just weird with him, his tenure has been a total failure here so far and it's visible to everyone in the league.

If Judge/Knight outperforms Bob in the playoffs Q will ride him.

Promoting Bob you say? Feel free to quote me.

Speaking candidly about the situation and having real expectations on how the year would play out whilst not solely basing all my opinions on his contract, which I have said since Tallon signed him to it, it was always going to be an albatross, is crazy mental gymnastics I guess.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Are we going all-in this year or is it still a development year and we aim for the SC in the next 2 years?

If we go all-in - and I hope we do - Bob should get the call. 38 PO games is not much, but still a better experience than 0. Plus he showed he can dominate a team on the NHL level. Our basis of evaluation of Spence and CD is too small to compare at all. PO is a different beast than regular season.
But if he looks bad, Q should definitely not hesitate to switch things up with CD, if he gets healthy in time - I believe he will follow his game plan as usual as we saw throughout the whole regular season.

If we rather take an development approach, I say give Spence at least 1 or 2 games (plus also 1 of the remaining games of the regular season).

Q's and Zito's call what we are aiming for already this year.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
tampa just beat detroit in regulation so i believe they get home ice. i would rest some of our guys in the next 2 games and bring it balls to the wall when the actual playoffs start. i believe we have a chance!!!!!! goooooocatttttssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!

Not true (for now). If we win out, we will finish ahead of Tampa. Tampa has four games left and we have three but we play each other the last two games. So, if we win out, we will finish with 79 points. And if we win out, Tampa can only win two games (lose the last two to us) giving them 77 points. Of course this is assuming that none of the games go past regulation.

Reactions: Vilam

Anakinsky

Dec 21, 2018
Off topic.

Anyone else feel or notice the team seems to play better overall behind Drieger vs Bob.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Not true (for now). If we win out, we will finish ahead of Tampa. Tampa has four games left and we have three but we play each other the last two games. So, if we win out, we will finish with 79 points. And if we win out, Tampa can only win two games (lose the last two to us) giving them 77 points. Of course this is assuming that none of the games go past regulation.
Correct. We have it in our hands if we win all our 3 games plus the Tampa games in regulation. Plus we, CAR and TBL could all still finish first. Not a moment to let up now.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Off topic.

Anyone else feel or notice the team seems to play better overall behind Drieger vs Bob.
It’s definitely been that way but I would chalk it up to random chance in a small sample of games rather than some reason like “instilling confidence”.

Considering 49 goalies that have played more than 1,000 minutes this year:

Bob ranks 15th in shots against per 60 while Driedger ranks 37th. If you prefer expected goals against per 60, Bob ranks 17th while Driedger ranks 43rd.

I’ve brought this up in the past because I think it helps explain some (not all) of the discrepancy in the numbers between the two but some try to pin it on Bob for not inspiring the team in front of him to play better or allowing rebounds.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad