Speculation: Who, on the Team, Has Checked Out?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Seriously though. What has Zinger done since Burrows.

What about Hutchinson? Postma and Redmond weren't even supposed to sniff the NHL. If you're talking about undrafted guys turning into NHLers who are out of the ECHL or Europe, those are extremely rare.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Simplest explanation is probably the correct one in the case. Ladd and Buff could best be described as the formal and informal leaders of the Jets. Both are without contract, and it appears more likely than not at this point that they'll both be elsewhere come 2016-17. While they're both pros, it would be naive to think that being in limbo wouldn't take some of the wind out of their sails. Even the vaguest sense that they don't have their hearts in it will likely create a ripple effect in the room.

I normally hate trying to dissect the psychology of pro sports (99% of it is just narrative), but I've felt since November that there's a sense of malaise with this team that just hasn't gone away. It's the same feeling I had with this team in the few months before Noel got fired.

The overall talent on this roster is not bad relative to the rest of the NHL; there's something more than lack of talent dragging this team down.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What about Hutchinson? Postma and Redmond weren't even supposed to sniff the NHL. If you're talking about undrafted guys turning into NHLers who are out of the ECHL or Europe, those are extremely rare.

Postma and Redmond were already part of the org when we bought the team if I remember correctly. Hutch was a solid find though.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I am totally having fun here. Things have been a bit too heavy lately.

stimpsoncat

Jan 5, 2014
I think Little's comment has great significance. Publicly backing Wheeler and asking the team to follow Wheeler's lead seems to be a shot at Ladd. The real leaders of this team are emerging.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Simplest explanation is probably the correct one in the case. Ladd and Buff could best be described as the formal and informal leaders of the Jets. Both are without contract, and it appears more likely than not at this point that they'll both be elsewhere come 2016-17. While they're both pros, it would be naive to think that being in limbo wouldn't take some of the wind out of their sails. Even the vaguest sense that they don't have their hearts in it will likely create a ripple effect in the room.

I normally hate trying to dissect the psychology of pro sports (99% of it is just narrative), but I've felt since November that there's a sense of malaise with this team that just hasn't gone away. It's the same feeling I had with this team in the few months before Noel got fired.

The overall talent on this roster is not bad relative to the rest of the NHL; there's something more than lack of talent dragging this team down.

Honestly and this time I am not being a smart ass, it started before August.

Derfel*

I think Little's comment has great significance. Publicly backing Wheeler and asking the team to follow Wheeler's lead seems to be a shot at Ladd. The real leaders of this team are emerging.

Maybe Wheeler and Little are attempting a "kudatah" in the locker room? :sarcasm:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes they were, but they weren't expected to go anywhere.

That's true, I'm only really annoyed with the job he's done with the farm team this year but it seems like our good prospects are playing well in spite of the garbage that surrounds them so it may not be a big deal in the end.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
LOL @ Myers, Stafford or Burmi being the "problem".

Think that Buff and Ladd are clearly part of the issue. Buff's play's been meh this year. Ladd's has been pretty bad.
i wouldn't be shocked if our punchingbag, Mark Stuart, was also an issue.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

The interview Ladd had after the San Jose loss was miles different than Wheeler's interview. Wheeler was pissed off and emotional. Ladd seemed totally disinterested. That speaks volumes.

And of course, yesterday:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
LOL @ Myers, Stafford or Burmi being the "problem".

Think that Buff and Ladd are clearly part of the issue. Buff's play's been meh this year. Ladd's has been pretty bad.
i wouldn't be shocked if our punchingbag, Mark Stuart, was also an issue.

Ok impossible but that would be awesome.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The Jets have been playing a lot like they did under Noel at the end. I think you have to look at the players who were here under Noel and are still here now. The players Wheeler and Little are referring to are those that were here under both coaches.

That's what I think as well, if there is anything to think about. Whoever they are referencing has been here since the beginning imo.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I agree it is probably Ladd and Buff that are the primary subjects. It is impossible to prove but actions speak loud than words here.

I suspect Trouba and Burmi as well. Hutchinson, in my mind, is one; something Wheeler said in an interview a month or two ago about Hutch caught my ear. I think the reporters were asking something about Hutch's weakness or flaws (something like that?) and Wheeler made a joke about not being able to say it on camera. That came out as a joke but that isn't what I had heard and caught me off guard. Will be interesting to see in the coming month if/when Pav comes back - I suspect we see Hutch moved.

stimpsoncat

Jan 5, 2014
The interview Ladd had after the San Jose loss was miles different than Wheeler's interview. Wheeler was pissed off and emotional. Ladd seemed totally disinterested. That speaks volumes.

Wow, looks like Ladd is completely checked out. No emotional intensity whatsoever. His body language really gives the impression he doesn't give a ****. Wheeler was fired up.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Wow, looks like Ladd is completely checked out. No emotional intensity whatsoever. His body language really gives the impression he doesn't give a ****. Wheeler was fired up.

Meh. Look back at any Ladd interview over the last 4 years, and they ALL look exactly the same as that interview. I personally don't read much into that.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Honestly and this time I am not being a smart ass, it started before August.

Interesting.

I have my own theories on what Chevy was trying to accomplish with this year's Jets (don't really feel like sharing them in detail, at least not in this thread), but I wonder if there's a bit a brewing resentment from the veterans over how things have progressed from this past summer onwards.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I understand the frustration, but it really comes down to a poorly coached team (see special teams and penalties) that doesn't have enough players who can match the opposition.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Interesting!

Think about it, if he was a super upbeat person in Boston imagine what he's like in Winnipeg? In Boston he was sent down to the ECHL many times, never had a single start with the big club by the time his ELC was up. He was pushed out (IE not qualified by the Bruins) by Malcom Subban who didn't have a single game of pro experience.

I have no doubt Hutch is doing everything he can to improve his game. There's an opportunity for him here that he never had in Boston. Hell he could still possibly end up with the starting job some time this year. In Boston he had no chance.

I just don't think there's any chance either of the goalies are a problem right now.

Derfel*

Meh. Look back at any Ladd interview over the last 4 years, and they ALL look exactly the same as that interview. I personally don't read much into that.

Exactly - and leadership isn't always about emotion and "getting fired up". Maybe he's "buying in" to Maurice's style more by being measured in his responses and keeping calm in the face of adversity? :dunno:

Stafford publicly complained about the reffing. That was a no-no that could come back and hurt a team that's already hurt by bad reffing...

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

I was going to post this. Ladd has always come off as very stoich which isn't a bad thing. It's just harder to read him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad