Speculation: Who, on the Team, Has Checked Out?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I think Ladd has checked out. Wheeler has now become the teams leader in my opinion. Strip the C off Ladd's jersey and put it on Wheeler's. Jets need a real leader and not some pretty boy who spews off cliché's.

Not happening. Wheeler will wear the C eventually, not this season.

I think Wheeler's comments were directed at Ladd.

I don't quite see it that way. I think this team has generally lacked vocal leadership, and while it's a bit overrated in terms of how effective it is a leadership style, there's no question it's needed at times.

Wheeler is one of the few guys on the Jets who can actually provide that vocal leadership while also backing it up with his play on the ice. Unlike some other present and past Jets who talked a good game but didn't do **** to back it up *cough* Olli Jokinen *cough*

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not sure how you "eliminated" everyone else by just saying "no"?

Ladd is tied for 5th in points for the Jets.

This isn't necessarily something that started at the beginning of the season (could be though). It isn't about boxscore stats. It is about emotional commitment and all around play. But if you want to use his scoring, 5th is not that good for our scoring leader in 2 of the last 3 seasons and cumulative leader since coming to Winnipeg. Are you disputing that Ladd is having a relatively poor season so far?

His leadership appears to be lacking. He has cut down his penalties a bit but he still takes the stupid stick penalties. He is not the worst offender but he doesn't seem to be leading in solving the penalty problem.

All those I simply said 'no' too I think were obvious. Lowry might have been part of the problem earlier but since his stint in the A he has been playing like last year. I just don't see any signs of whatever Wheeler was getting at from anyone else. This is only what I can see on the ice. Ladd and maybe Trouba.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
the Ladd interview is funny.
you have PK Subban doing his WWF-esque pre-game line-up announcement on Jan 1 and, what? his team's in a freefall.

screaming doesn't accomplish much of anything. different ways to lead.

saying that: i do think Ladd's checked out like a library book

I've always felt like Ladd doesn't give a crap. He just doesn't give me captain vibes at all.

Wheeler you can genuinely tell the guy gives a crap and is perfect captain material.

The bold above. I've always seen the true leaders as relatively quiet. The type that doesn't speak too often but when they do everybody listens. That is how I've always seen Ladd. Right now I'm not so sure. But of course this is all speculation since none of us sees what goes on behind closed doors.

Taking what I see plus what Wheeler said I think it points to Ladd. I certainly could be wrong though.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well let's be honest he played the first 30 games on the first line and wasnt performing well enough so he was dropped down to the third. If he has a problem with it he should up his performance to get back to the top line.

I think that move was twofold. Ladd wasn't (quite) playing up to his position but PMo also wanted to jump-start the 3rd line. So far it appears to have been a good move.

How Ladd feels about it is another matter. If he sees it as him being used to push others to improve rather than a demotion there is no reason to be too upset. If he sees it as a demotion and as hurting his chances for the big payday then he might be resentful.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know it's not only points - but the argument that he was some sort of anchor on the top line isn't supported by the numbers. He's having a "bad year" and he's still in the top 5 for production.

What argument is that? Never saw that one.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I think Ladd has checked out. Wheeler has now become the teams leader in my opinion. Strip the C off Ladd's jersey and put it on Wheeler's. Jets need a real leader and not some pretty boy who spews off cliché's.

??!?
"Pretty boy"?
That doesn't describe Ladd's attitude, style of hockey, or appearance (heh) in any way. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Derfel*

Yeah I would describe Ladd as a "pretty boy" lol. He is covered in scars and he is also a tough SOB.

Seriously - took a puck to the face (twice), got checked head-first into the boards and had a three-point night. Laddership!

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
When I think of Ladd, "pretty boy" always comes to mind first and foremost:

Andrew+Ladd+Winnipeg+Jets+v+Philadelphia+Flyers+gDgqPzxVuGml.jpg

Or maybe not. :laugh: I may question some things he does, but his commitment to sacrificing his body isn't one of them.

darkjet

Jan 11, 2013
During handshake. Hard to see but looks like burmi gets half asked bump from wheeler, not even acknowledged and then straight up snubbed by copper. Maybe something, maybe nothing, maybe everything. That's beer analytics for you.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I've always felt like Ladd doesn't give a crap. He just doesn't give me captain vibes at all.

Wheeler you can genuinely tell the guy gives a crap and is perfect captain material.

I don't know about that. I think Wheeler would be a fantastic captain, simply due to his undying effort and sacrifice but some of the best captains are quiet and in control. Ladd strikes me as someone who is a calming influence type captain. We don't see what he does in the room, in practice and behind the scenes.

Sometimes super emotional captains can cause teams to go off the rails a bit more. At least that has been my experience.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
During handshake. Hard to see but looks like burmi gets half asked bump from wheeler, not even acknowledged and then straight up snubbed by copper. Maybe something, maybe nothing, maybe everything. That's beer analytics for you.

So much dissecting of the post game hand shakes lately.....

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Me thinks all have checked back in again

If they were even checked out... we wouldn't know anyways.

All is well for now in Jets land

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
When I think of Ladd, "pretty boy" always comes to mind first and foremost:

Andrew+Ladd+Winnipeg+Jets+v+Philadelphia+Flyers+gDgqPzxVuGml.jpg

Or maybe not. :laugh: I may question some things he does, but his commitment to sacrificing his body isn't one of them.

Yeah Ladd is a warrior, I posted a few pics in my social media accounts in previous years, him getting hammered.
The guy gets bloodied and bruised more than any Jets 2.0 I've seen.

We all was happy about performance of other players last year end of the season run to the playoff.

But Ladd playing through that injury. That is one heck of disadvantage, that is some courage.
Other players got called heroes for playing with significant injury.

Ladd, let's strip him of his captaincy.

The guy screamed Winnipeg Jets 2.0 from day one. He embraced the team, he showed the way.

The guy is still very good.
Eventually he will drop down to 2nd line and 3rd line in his last few years.

But I'd rather have

Kyle Connor
Matthew perrault
Andrew Ladd

On the Jets left wing....

As per leadership
Vocal leadership only gets you so far also, same as too quiet.

Always need to strike a balance in all areas...

I will not elaborate but there is something called

" the challenge of leadership..."

The problem of the team is not the leadership , it's the transition the team is going into. It will go on next year and probably the year after.
After all you got new faces this year and playing 4 rookies at any given time since the opening day will have more bump on the roads that let say a veteran laden team.

Jets is one of the youngest if not the youngest team in the league after all.......

Imagine this team in 3 years.....

Last edited:

Darth Jet

Mar 10, 2015
Winnipeg
It is all about consistency. Pretty much every player on this team with a few exceptions has taken week(s) off. If any player on this team wants to prove their worth, now is the time. We need to win and win now, stop this ******** one or two game win streak and then fall apart the next game. We are two points away from a playoff spot somehow. I think we will be able to tell who has checked out by looking at the next two games imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad