Speculation: Who, on the Team, Has Checked Out?

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Following Wheeler's remarks yesterday and after the loss to San Jose, as well as Little's comments today -
Who exactly on the team do we believe is "not buying in"? They seem to be calling out certain players in a subtle way, but who is the problem?

I'd have to think that Buff and Ladd could be contenders with their contract issues. But would Little and Wheeler call out their fellow leaders of the room like that in public? Hard to say what goes on behind closed doors.

Who else seems to be checked out from what we can see on our end? Who could Little be referring to as "some of these guys"?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Hah I was going to start a thread like this but you did a great job!

I don't know who. I doubt anyone outside of the room does. It would be easy to blame guys that don't quite have the talent like Mark Stuart, but that would be a mistake. Ehlers play has gone downhill for a while now, but he has picked it up. Hard to point your finger at a rookie.

One thing I really noticed last game is guys weren't putting in the extra effort to get a better shot.. so many dangerous blasts into shinpads.

Derfel*

Do we really need another amateur psychologist thread? No offence intended, but I don't see this going well...

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
If they're not pointing to their current captain as a model example for the solution, I'd say he's part of the problem. I'd be all in favour of Wheeler as captain. Not that I've hated Ladd but maybe his time as the guy in charge of the room is done.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Sorry Derf but I think it'd an interesting conversation, and it's brought about by specific comments being made by players. Wheeler says some guys in the room need to "take a look in the mirror." He must have some people in mind right? But who - I mean it has to be somebody other than 3rd and 4th liners right? It can't be Chef or Matty P...or Stafford afaic. Those guys have been working hard.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Do we really need another amateur psychologist thread? No offence intended, but I don't see this going well...

It's a legitimate conversation topic, given Wheelers comments. That said, I agree it'll probably go sideways. ;)

Derfel*

Sorry Derf but I think it'd an interesting conversation, and it's brought about by specific comments being made by players. Wheeler says some guys in the room need to "take a look in the mirror." He must have some people in mind right? But who - I mean it has to be somebody other than 3rd and 4th liners right?

Well, I just feel like it's going to be a few pages of speculation with no sourcing. I'm sure he had guys in mind, but unless we're in that room no one on these forums is going to know who. He could have even been referring to himself with some of what he said, who knows?

It's a legitimate conversation topic, given Wheelers comments. That said, I agree it'll probably go sideways. ;)

Hopefully I'm not offside on this request, but can we keep to standards regarding "insider information" and false accusations, etc? Need sources, etc?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Little's comments about Wheeler says a WHOLE HELL OF A LOT about what might be going on behind closed doors. We could be seeing a transition in the leadership group on the team.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Sorry Derf but I think it'd an interesting conversation, and it's brought about by specific comments being made by players. Wheeler says some guys in the room need to "take a look in the mirror." He must have some people in mind right? But who - I mean it has to be somebody other than 3rd and 4th liners right?

A few that come to mind:

Honestly, Buff hasn't seemed himself recently. He doesn't have very many big hits at all this year like he is known for. Which is odd in his contract year. You would think he would be trying to showcase his special talents.

Lowry was already sent down at one point this year. Obviously he has learned from this and is putting in a much better effort since he's been back.

Trouba - I love him - but he seems to be a shell of his past self this season.

Of course this is just speculation, but this is what I have noticed watching the games as far as effort is concerned.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Little's comments about Wheeler says a WHOLE HELL OF A LOT about what might be going on behind closed doors. We could be seeing a transition in the leadership group on the team.

If nothing else comes from this thread, I think this is probably the loudest message being sent. Little is backing Wheels in his comments, made in front of the media, and directed specifically at [someone or some people] within that room. His comment is very interesting.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah, I have a nagging suspicion that something has happened on the Ladd front (like mgt withdrawing offers or stepping away from the table) that has had a bit of a quiet ripple through the room.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I have been thinking the past couple of months that something is amiss in the dressing room. We heard rumblings before the track suit incident, but nothing that indicated something that huge was coming.

These comments the past two days speak volumes to me. No way that two veteran players say things like this to the media without there being something to it.

I think there have been issues since the team moved here. Maybe nothing earth shattering, but it just looks like we don't ever have a cohesive unit. We had a brief stint when we started doing the 'handshake' thing last year, but that was it.

Derfel*

Well then - speculation #1 - it's Myers. The timing of the comment seems tied to his major penalty. Myers isn't buying in, and it's costing the team.

Speculation #2 - Stafford. He's new to the team (mid-season add) and while he's producing recently maybe he isn't "buying in" to the team's needs, or he isn't making enough sacrifices in Wheeler's/Little's eyes.

Speculation #3 - Burmistrov. Comes back to the team with a "new attitude", but doesn't put up numbers and doesn't change his style of play. Biding his time with the team, isn't connecting with his linemates, etc.

(Any of those are about as likely, in my opinion, as any above.)

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The guys who "look" like they've checked out, or never really checked in to be more accurate.

Buff
Ladd
Trouba
Toby

None of these guys look overly invested to me, that doesn't mean they've played ******, but none of them have really stepped up and raised their play at all. Appearances are obviously deceiving but they don't look mentally prepared or committed to lay it out every night.

And I like all of these players, a lot.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
If they're not pointing to their current captain as a model example for the solution, I'd say he's part of the problem. I'd be all in favour of Wheeler as captain. Not that I've hated Ladd but maybe his time as the guy in charge of the room is done.

Yep Ladd all the way. He certainly hasn't led by example for a long time & is playing disinterested more than not this year. Buff's play has been good for the most part, but he may also be seeing the writing on the wall? Some of the other vets are hot & cold, but none that I can think of could be considered disinterested for more than a game.

Edit: reading on I see Trouba's name there - tea he's not playing that well, but he's been a ton better since they dropped the anchor.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
This is tricky. I watch every game and to me everyone is working hard or at least trying. Of course everyone also has bad shifts / games.

But you never know. Across the whole league... Some guys care, some guys are only in it for the pay cheque. Just like all jobs.

But for anyone in any career..... are you going to bust a gut for an organization that doesn't seem to be willing to reward you after you busted a gut for them in the past? I can easily seeing Ladd and Buff no longer caring and checking out.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Well then - speculation #1 - it's Myers. The timing of the comment seems tied to his major penalty. Myers isn't buying in, and it's costing the team.

Speculation #2 - Stafford. He's new to the team (mid-season add) and while he's producing recently maybe he isn't "buying in" to the team's needs, or he isn't making enough sacrifices in Wheeler's/Little's eyes.

Speculation #3 - Burmistrov. Comes back to the team with a "new attitude", but doesn't put up numbers and doesn't change his style of play. Biding his time with the team, isn't connecting with his linemates, etc.

#1 - Myers isn't taking penalties because he doesn't care. He's taking them because he cares too much! Frustration and being too emotionally invested is making him lose his cool. So not Myers.

#2 - Wheeler was all Mr. Tickles with Staff on the bench a few days ago. I doubt he's in the doghouse.

#3 - Yeah, weird Russians are weird I guess.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
This is tricky. I watch every game and to me everyone is working hard or at least trying. Of course everyone also has bad shifts / games.

But you never know. Across the whole league... Some guys care, some guys are only in it for the pay cheque. Just like all jobs.

But for anyone in any career..... are you going to bust a gut for an organization that doesn't seem to be willing to reward you after you busted a gut for them in the past? I can easily seeing Ladd and Buff no longer caring and checking out.

Ladd literally busted a gut for them last year! :laugh:

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Ain't Meyers he's our best guy at D.

Stafford it's been the best I've ever seen him play.

Burmi is just Burmi, as the team goes he goes, so he's fine enough.

This team has issues that don't boil down to a name calling of who's who, it's much more of an overall fail effect.

For example so what Meyers took a bad penalty, we have guys that made a Winnipeg NHL career out of it.

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Not Stafford, don't know if many caught it but Wheeler, Little, Stafford and Meyers had a little huddle on the ice before the drop of the puck to start the third period last game, Wheeler seemed to be venting with the other guys around him nodding their heads. I think those four are the Jets new leadership group. The Meyers comment seemed out of character for him, think something is really eating at those four guys I mentioned.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

It's hard to say without being in the room. But I'd wager Myers and Stafford would be low down on the list. Myers outside of that dumb penalty has been one of the better Jets and his game seems to be improving. That doesn't seem to indicative of someone who has checked out. Stafford has also played really well.

If I were to guess it would be Ladd (Is likely distracted by the contract situation and it's effecting his focus on the ice). Trouba hasn't been as good this year and might be another player. Hutch can't get his game on track and could be another. I have a hard time lumping rookies in here but maybe the Wheeler is trying to challenge them to make strides quicker. Lowry and Burmie likely fall under the category of under performing so could be lumped I the list.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I think an important part of Wheelers comment was that it wasn't the "effort" level. It seemed he was more stressing the commitment to play a particular way, not necessarily just trying hard.

Little publicly backing Wheeler is very interesting. Personally i haven't had an issue with Buff or Trouba's play this year.

It doesn't leave much on the list but I'd say Ladd, lowry, maybe Burmi are the guys?

Can't see it being perrault. Can't see it being the rookies.

that or he's tired of seeing thorburn and stuart get so much ice time :p (though I highly doubt that)

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
#1 - Myers isn't taking penalties because he doesn't care. He's taking them because he cares too much! Frustration and being too emotionally invested is making him lose his cool. So not Myers.

#2 - Wheeler was all Mr. Tickles with Staff on the bench a few days ago. I doubt he's in the doghouse.

#3 - Yeah, weird Russians are weird I guess.

on #2, i kinda thought stafford looked annoyed, but that may just be his resting face. :naughty:

let's flip this around. getting rid of kane was supposed to get the cancer out, and glue guys like thor and stu are needed to keep the room good.

maybe the problems are the vocal leaders like thor, stu and wheeler instead?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Zinger
Thomson
Gabe (very weak effort since the book)

On the team

Little and Wheels

If not them then the younger core except Schief.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Don't confuse talent or even effort for what Wheeler and Little are talking about. Only they know who. I doubt we'll ever find out. But it will be things like:

- Not taking care of fitness
- Not paying attention to new schemes put forward by coaches
- Not paying attention to scouting reports
- Not putting in extra effort during practices

Do we have access to any of this? Not likely. We know Ladd has been in a bit of a funk, but is that related to his surgery? Look at the last game, Wheeler was a mess. It seemed like he was trying too hard and overskating every single puck, then falling down, bobbling it, etc..

I've also said this before. If you want to shake up the team, you trade someone everybody likes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad