Who moves now after johnny hockey signed??

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
SHHHHH

Players don’t talk badly about Laine!!
Did Atkinson play the last season in Columbus? Because if I understand right, we were talking about this season. So you must be thinking of something else. I suggest: Laine's level of play is ECHL, Laine was telepathically influencing the Winnipeg dressing room, so the atmosphere wasn't ideal 😉.

EDIT: I know Laine isn't perfect, but I find it odd that you only see bad things about some players and others, like Bjorkie, are the epitome of perfection to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halberdier

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
I think Nyquist gets traded for either a low round pick or potentially future considerations. Then I think that Jarmo might still be in big splash mode and while I know that he loves his first round picks, I would not be shocked at all to see him deal the 2023 first round pick. Maybe he can sign Laine and land someone like Chychrun. He has the ammo, but it might take losing a player like Bjorkstrand, Texier, Bean. Bemstrom is likely on this list as well. Perhaps he considers moving Jake, but considering what he gave up to get him, I don't think he's going anywhere.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I don't get the "Boqvist needs to go" movement. He's the most offensively gifted player on the defensive side of the puck. He's 21 and had partial seasons in the NHL. Not to mention, moving him does nothing to fit Laine into our Cap issue this year. He would need replaced and with???

Don't get me wrong, I love Blankenburg but he's played 9 games, is actually smaller and was already hurt. Some seem to be penciling him as a top line RHD. He may not be in the NHL this year (likely yes but camp will dictate that). I'm not saying Boqvist is the 2nd coming but he's 3 years younger than Blankenburg, much better offensively, Certainly doesn't play the same style and Blankenburg seems to have a mature 2-way game. Two different types of players and both offer value.

I think you all are crazy for wanting to dump Boqvist. Just my opinion. I respect your opinions but simply don't agree with this thought process.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't get the "Boqvist needs to go" movement. He's the most offensively gifted player on the defensive side of the puck. He's 21 and had partial seasons in the NHL. Not to mention, moving him does nothing to fit Laine into our Cap issue this year. He would need replaced and with???

Don't get me wrong, I love Blankenburg but he's played 9 games, is actually smaller and was already hurt. Some seem to be penciling him as a top line RHD. He may not be in the NHL this year (likely yes but camp will dictate that). I'm not saying Boqvist is the 2nd coming but he's 3 years younger than Blankenburg, much better offensively, Certainly doesn't play the same style and Blankenburg seems to have a mature 2-way game. Two different types of players and both offer value.

I think you all are crazy for wanting to dump Boqvist. Just my opinion. I respect your opinions but simply don't agree with this thought process.

I must post too often if my singular opinion is considered a movement.

It's easy to see Boqvist's strong suit when he's sniping picks into the net, but I think that's literally all he contributes 5v5. I don't think he's helping our offense much, I don't see the vision or the transition skill. It's too early to know what Blankenburg is but in short sample in the Spring I liked his game more at both ends.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012

The reasons I’m willing to dump him are
1. We have a glut of players that need ice time
2. While his skills are unique (and they are), I’m not convinced it is what the team needs
3. He can actually return something of value
4. Adding to #3 that would possibly allow us to phase the next wave in better (a player on an ELC or bridge as our next wave gets raises)

It’s exactly the 2 way play why I value Blankenburg higher. The funny thing is I halfway expect to see Bean next to Werenski again.

@majormajor it’s you me and Bus plus some others I think

Reactions: thebus88 and LJ7

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
The potential is certainly there for Boqvist but with the player he is, he has to QB PP1 to be truly worth having on the NHL roster. I'm open to him coming back improved and ready to take Werenski's PP1 spot, or getting otherwise better next season, but I'm just calling what I saw last season.

I still don't see him as better than Werenski at the PP point spot. This is something I especially notice when I attended games - but Werenski helps keep the puck in the zone far better than Boqvist does. It's a small but crucial skill and Werenski is really good at it. He anticipates and positions himself to where the puck will be at a higher level, and has a real knack for stopping and collecting the puck with his feet and stick. Werenski is also quicker mentally on the powerplay right now and keeps up with our playmakers well. The powerplay struggled with possession last year to the point where we couldn't afford to play Boqvist over Werenski.

If Boqvist can get near that level, or if his deficiencies with possession-keeping improve, or even if Gaudreau outweighs it and therefore changes the calculus of what we need from a point man, the Boqvist RH to RH connection with Laine can be fantastic, and Boqvist himself can score at a great clip. I wanted him to run the 1st PP unit and the fact he wasn't ready frustrated me. I don't blame the coaches for sticking with Z.

Boqvist wouldn't frustrate me if he couldn't eventually become a real stud. I see the potential and with him being on the NHL roster I'm just impatient with him right now. Watching him last year I could not believe Chicago didn't play him in the AHL full time. If Cleveland didn't absolutely suck last year he could have developed there and gotten PP1 reps but that ship has sailed.

Last edited:

Frostybrew

May 20, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Wow, been a long time for me to post! I would try a trade like this. Nyquist, Bean, Texier and Ceulemans to Coyotes for Chychrun.
After thinking about this overnight I’ve changed my mind and now I don’t care for this trade idea. I think it would be better to dump salary with as few players as possible to sign Laine and be under the cap limit so Voracek has to be the one to go but probably will have to send a first rd pick In 2023 or 2024 to achieve this.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
4. Adding to #3 that would possibly allow us to phase the next wave in better (a player on an ELC or bridge as our next wave gets raises)
I'm not sure about this. He's a player that I'd really like to know the league-wide front office opinion on. While he is a RD with skill (I suppose), I'm not sure his specific skills really interest people that run teams. Most teams that want guys like him have guys like him that are better, and teams that don't want guys like him obviously would have little interest.

That's kinda why I think we may just be better off keeping him and hoping for the best. The value he'd return would probably not be much, at least right now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not sure about this. He's a player that I'd really like to know the league-wide front office opinion on. While he is a RD with skill (I suppose), I'm not sure his specific skills really interest people that run teams. Most teams that want guys like him have guys like him that are better, and teams that don't want guys like him obviously would have little interest.

That's kinda why I think we may just be better off keeping him and hoping for the best. The value he'd return would probably not be much, at least right now.

I really have no idea if there are teams out there that would pay a good price to get Boqvist. Maybe a newly rebuilding team like Montreal that has mostly stodgy defenders will want to take a chance on a 21 year old RD and move a mid-first caliber asset for him.

I can maybe see his value going up if we put him on PP1 and juice his points. Or maybe it goes the other way if he continues to not improve on his weak points. Either way I'm guessing he'll be a dead end for the Jackets as we have RD in the system coming that project to be better at both ends (Jiricek, Ceulemans, and I would include Blanks as a possible there), not to mention Peeke and Gudbranson have got to fit in somewhere.

Obviously that is just my opinion and my projection of the player. Some folks see him massively improving and fitting nicely here long term.

Reactions: LJ7

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I would avoid moving Boqvist for cap reasons if at all possible. He scored at a 17 goal pace over 82 games at age 21 with not a ton of pp time. If he puts it together for an extended period of time or boosts his production slightly his value will go from questionable to something that half of the teams are looking for.

I don’t think he needs to beat out Werenski for pp1 time necessarily. He can still be a third pair guy with pp2 time and play up in offensive situations when needed. At least for this season we don’t really have a another option that is a real pp threat. Bean would be third but is definitely not as dynamic.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I really have no idea if there are teams out there that would pay a good price to get Boqvist. Maybe a newly rebuilding team like Montreal that has mostly stodgy defenders will want to take a chance on a 21 year old RD and move a mid-first caliber asset for him.

I can maybe see his value going up if we put him on PP1 and juice his points. Or maybe it goes the other way if he continues to not improve on his weak points. Either way I'm guessing he'll be a dead end for the Jackets as we have RD in the system coming that project to be better at both ends (Jiricek, Ceulemans, and I would include Blanks as a possible there), not to mention Peeke and Gudbranson have got to fit in somewhere.

Obviously that is just my opinion and my projection of the player. Some folks see him massively improving and fitting nicely here long term.
Boqvist has a huge ceiling. Personally, I'd like to have him on PP1 as I think he's far better at keeping the puck in and making quick decisions than Werenski. But looking for his long-term fit here, things get a bit murky.

I think the plan for the next two years is to figure out if he's a good long-term fit while also keeping a close eye on Mateychuk's development. If I had to rank all of the defensemen in the org by who has the highest ceiling, it probably comes out to something like this:
1. Werenski
2. Jiricek
3. Mateychuk
4. Boqvist
5. Ceulemans
6. Gavrikov

I alluded to this earlier but I think going into 2024-25 the org will have to choose between Boqvist and Mateychuk. If all goes well, whoever they don't choose will be one heck of a trade chip.

Similarly, I think Jiricek is going to be a straightforward replacement/upgrade over Peeke in a year. Peeke has a ton of heart and I think everyone here loves the guy, but I don't think he goes above Jiricek, Boqvist, Gudbranson or Blankenburg. Luckily, being a big RHD with team control, he should be a pretty valuable trade chip. Romanov got a top 15 pick, maybe Peeke could fetch a first rounder at the draft next year.

Even if they move both of those guys, they won't be hurting for defensive depth. Behind Werenski, Jiricek and Mateychuk, they'd still have Gavrikov, Ceulemans, Gudbranson, Blankenburg, Christiansen, Richard and Svozil all vying for a spot.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Boqvist has a huge ceiling. Personally, I'd like to have him on PP1 as I think he's far better at keeping the puck in and making quick decisions than Werenski. But looking for his long-term fit here, things get a bit murky.

I think the plan for the next two years is to figure out if he's a good long-term fit while also keeping a close eye on Mateychuk's development. If I had to rank all of the defensemen in the org by who has the highest ceiling, it probably comes out to something like this:
1. Werenski
2. Jiricek
3. Mateychuk
4. Boqvist
5. Ceulemans
6. Gavrikov

I alluded to this earlier but I think going into 2024-25 the org will have to choose between Boqvist and Mateychuk. If all goes well, whoever they don't choose will be one heck of a trade chip.

Similarly, I think Jiricek is going to be a straightforward replacement/upgrade over Peeke in a year. Peeke has a ton of heart and I think everyone here loves the guy, but I don't think he goes above Jiricek, Boqvist, Gudbranson or Blankenburg. Luckily, being a big RHD with team control, he should be a pretty valuable trade chip. Romanov got a top 15 pick, maybe Peeke could fetch a first rounder at the draft next year.

Even if they move both of those guys, they won't be hurting for defensive depth. Behind Werenski, Jiricek and Mateychuk, they'd still have Gavrikov, Ceulemans, Gudbranson, Blankenburg, Christiansen, Richard and Svozil all vying for a spot.
Id take Ceulemans from 5 and slide him up to 3 and thats where the issue starts. I think he can, produce more points, become a better defender and has better size. So all of a sudden hes behind Jiricek/ Ceulemans while Peeke/Gudbranson/Blankenburg make more sense in that 3rd pair role someday. Im fine with him hanging around for a couple years and I hope he does well as it will do nothing but boost his value

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
After thinking about this overnight I’ve changed my mind and now I don’t care for this trade idea. I think it would be better to dump salary with as few players as possible to sign Laine and be under the cap limit
Up to this point I'm thinking "yep, yep" and nodding along...
so Voracek has to be the one to go
...and this is where you lose me. Why Voracek? Why not Nyquist? He wouldn't cost nearly as much to force out.

Reactions: LJ7 and Ippenator

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Also, an overall point - I think there's a strong temptation here by some to try to maximize the return of a cap dump trade, and I think that's a serious mistake, akin to sunken cost fallacy in action. By signing Gaudreau and attempting to keep Laine, we're going to lose something (or someone) good. We're going to lose that trade (in isolation) no matter what we do. Barring exceptional circumstances, trying to swap in better assets so the return looks better does not mean we're actually getting an increase in net value return; it just means we're losing something nicer, because the cap hit leverage that other teams have on us is everpresent.

Given that, I think it behooves us to make any "for cap space" trade be as low-impact as possible. Thus my harping on giving Nyquist a "thanks for your service" and a plane ticket. Not because I don't like him (I love him dearly and I wish he could stay), but because I think he's the lowest-impact option.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

...and this is where you lose me. Why Voracek? Why not Nyquist? He wouldn't cost nearly as much to force out.
I also think it'll be Gus who gets traded, but there could be a market for a +60 point scorer with only 2 years left on deal. Not a big one but a couple of teams maybe. The teams that come to mind are NJD, NYI and CGY, who all want to push for playoffs, and just missed out on Johnny.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I also think it'll be Gus who gets traded, but there could be a market for a +60 point scorer with only 2 years left on deal. Not a big one but a couple of teams maybe. The teams that come to mind are NJD, NYI and CGY, who all want to push for playoffs, and just missed out on Johnny.
It's not impossible, but given the "we need cap space" leverage, I suspect we'd end up regretting that even more than a Nyquist lost.

I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not making plans for it. ;)

Reactions: LJ7

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
The reasons I’m willing to dump him are
1. We have a glut of players that need ice time
2. While his skills are unique (and they are), I’m not convinced it is what the team needs

It’s exactly the 2 way play why I value Blankenburg higher. The funny thing is I halfway expect to see Bean next to Werenski again.

@majormajor it’s you me and Bus plus some others I think
Hey, as I said, I respect your opinion I just don't happen to agree with it and, honestly, your list of 4 seems to contradict itself.

1. We have a glut of players who need ice time? Certainly true but are you looking to give older players ice time? I mean he's 21...
2. While his skills are unique, you're not convinced it's what the team needs? Are we looking for generic skill sets to play with more ice time? (this is not meant to be dickish, I just don't understand)
3. He can actually return something of value? OK, do we need more young players or prospects? His salary isn't enough to get us any cap space and any skill set we might acquire that is better/different/valuable, is likely to cost more putting us in a worse predicament. If we're moving him for a lottery pick, does that help?
4. Phase in the next wave? I mean, he's 21. Can he not be part of the current wave AND the next wave? He's on a bridge deal already and if it's not any better in 2-3 years, then we have the next wave.

Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk but this just doesn't make sense in my head. You seem to be focused on the new shiny toys that have done and shown nothing or next to nothing at the minor league level let alone NHL. Believe me, I'm very excited about Ceulemans, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Blankeburg, among others on the back end but I guess I just see more in Boqvist than those of you that feel these others are a better option. He has his warts but I'm not sure they are bigger/worse than any others. You said it yourself, he has a unique skill set. My goodness if he can pick up his own end even just a little we would regret (in my opinion) moving him.

It's cool, again, I just disagree.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
It's not impossible, but given the "we need cap space" leverage, I suspect we'd end up regretting that even more than a Nyquist lost.

I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not making plans for it. ;)
Even if it's for pennies or no return, there'd be some benefits in moving Jake now. You'd be able to move Gus at deadline to potentially get a 1st rounder from a contender. Then with two 1st rounders and 8,25m+5,5m cap off the books before the draft, Jarmo would have all the leverage to make another big move that'd push the team to playoffs in 23-24.

... But coming back to reality, Jarmo wont make moves based on the assumption that playoffs are out of reach, so unless someone is ready to pay fairly for Jake, it'll be Gus who gets moved

Frostybrew

May 20, 2010
Columbus, Ohio

Voracek’s cap hit is 8,250,000 for 22/23 season and also same for 23/24 season is why. Nyquist is 5,500,000 for 22/23 season and then his contract is up so that would free up money for 23/24 season when other players will be getting raises. Voracek cap hit alone should free up enough cap space to sign Laine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad