Who moves now after johnny hockey signed??

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
27 - 4 = 23 by my count. Tarasov, Meyer, Bayreuther and Gaunce (~$3.25M) can all be put on waivers or sent to the AHL, The add one more to replace (say Chinakov @ $925K- no waivers) when Laine comes in. That's 23 on the roster (Not sure how you got 21) but there is more room available than just dumping Nyquist. Moving Bean would be enough (technically) for a contract to Laine of around ~$8.2M AAV with a roster of 22 but really no cap space. It can be done but certainly isn't ideal. I think that's what Jarmo is looking at. We can be in a tough spot but may be able to avoid a very bad deal (dump a good player) with some of these other contracts.

You could see guys like Chinakov, Marchenko and even Johnson start the year in Cleveland as they work deals. Wouldn't be the worst thing and if it keeps us from losing Foudy, Bemstrom and Nyquist for nothing, I'd support that. LIkely a short term proposition but is just part of the game.
Really interesting scenario, though I am not sure if Jarmo is able to hire Laine with 8.2M, even though Jarmo is openly requesting a discount from Laine

Vapaatunnus

Feb 2, 2021
Really interesting scenario, though I am not sure if Jarmo is able to hire Laine with 8.2M, even though Jarmo is openly requesting a discount from Laine
And in that point things might go sour, since Patrik has also own view and can be also as hard headed Finn as Jarmo.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The poster I was responding to posted a chart from Capfriendly with a roster of only 21. That’s how I “got” 21. It’s easy to say we have cap space with a roster of 21 or 22 but that’s not how the real world works.

Also, if you don’t want to lose Bemstrom “for nothing”, he requires a contract, which requires additional cap space.
I think a 22 man roster is doable with Cleveland so close. Not ideal but doable. It looks tome that won't happen but it could if the $ get really tight.

Bemstrom is a casualty in this whole cap crunch imo. As it is with one of Chinakov, Marchenko & JK in Cleveland the Jackets are at 14 F's. Best bet is to try and get a 2nd for him and move on.

Nyquist continues to be the most likely F to be traded for a pick or prospect with the Jackets keeping some $ if necessary. If he is traded and Laine comes in at 9 there would be $ left for a Bemstrom deal. But then 2 of the 3 young guys mentioned above would have to be in Cleveland unless Bemstrom is exposed to waivers.

Fun times.

Last edited:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I think a 22 man roster is doable with Cleveland so close. Not ideal but doable. It looks tome that won't happen but it could if the $ get really tight.

Bemstrom is a casualty in this whole cap crunch imo. As it is with one of Chinakov, Marchenko & JK in Cleveland the Jackets are at 14 F's. Best bet is to try and get a 2nd for him and move on.

Nyquist continues to be the most likely F to be traded for a pick or prospect with the Jackets keeping some $ if necessary. If he is traded and Laine comes in at 9 there would be $ left for a Bemstrom deal. But then 2 of the 3 young guys mentioned above would have to be in Cleveland unless Bemstrom is exposed to waivers.

Fun times.
I just think it’s crazy that we’re playing mental gymnastics on how to not play our best prospects/bury them in the minors/run out a lineup of garbage like Olivier and Gaunce, or play a man short, instead of just trying to trade Gus f’n Nyquist, but that’s just me.

Ideally we sign Laine at $8.5, Bemstrom at $1.25, trade Gus, send down Tarasov, Gaunce, Meyer, Olivier, Danforth. That leaves us with:

Forwards $50,225,000 (14): Gaudreau, Laine, Jenner, Voracek, KJ, Sillinger, Bjork, Robinson, Roslovic, Tex, Kuraly, Chin, Marchenko, Bemstrom

Dmen $22,929,166 (7): Z, Gav, Guds, Bean, Boq, Blanks, Peeke

Goalies $6,700,000 (2): Elvis, Korp.

Wennberg $441,667

Total cap $80,295,833 and we’re safe.

Last edited:

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I question whether we need Bemstrom on the roster candidly.
We extended him a QO so he’ll either sign a new contract or accept the QO by Friday. He could be traded I guess but if we didn’t want him we could have just let him walk. I dont know what his trade value would be but I’m guessing very low.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I question whether we need Bemstrom on the roster candidly.
I think Bemstrom has the makings of a good but not spectacular middle-six RW who has good defensive metrics and, if he gains some confidence, can be a goal scorer.

I don't think that happens here in Columbus.

IMO he's a good candidate to attach to Gus as a sweetener (if one is needed) to help us clear salary for Laine, or he could be someone that could be moved one-for-one for a similar change-of-scenery defenseman.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I just think it’s crazy that we’re playing mental gymnastics on how to not play our best prospects/bury them in the minors/run out a lineup of garbage like Olivier and Gaunce, or play a man short, instead of just trying to trade Gus f’n Nyquist, but that’s just me.

Ideally we sign Laine at $8.5, Bemstrom at $1.25, trade Gus, send down Tarasov, Gaunce, Meyer, Olivier, Danforth. That leaves us with:

Forwards $50,225,000 (14): Gaudreau, Laine, Jenner, Voracek, KJ, Sillinger, Bjork, Robinson, Roslovic, Tex, Kuraly, Chin, Marchenko, Bemstrom

Dmen $22,929,166 (7): Z, Gav, Guds, Bean, Boq, Blanks, Peeke

Goalies $6,700,000 (2): Elvis, Korp.

Wennberg $441,667

Total cap $80,295,833 and were safe.
My mental gymnastics already banished Olivier & Gaunce. The only thing making your assumption work is Laine at 8.5. You might be right but I'd be surprised. Also Danforth was a pretty good player last year and I assume he'll make the roster. If Tex is around and Chinakhov & Bemstrom signed that works if Danforth goes down. Except you now have 4 guys competing for 2 spots of ice time each game. I would think two or three guys are better served being in Cleveland.

Bottom line is Nyquist has to go. I agree and have been saying that from the jump. That still needs at least one guy to Cleveland or 2 in the press box every night. Other teams develop guys in the A; why can't the Jackets?

Reactions: Forepar and Xoggz22

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
My mental gymnastics already banished Olivier & Gaunce. The only thing making your assumption work is Laine at 8.5. You might be right but I'd be surprised. Also Danforth was a pretty good player last year and I assume he'll make the roster. If Tex is around and Chinakhov & Bemstrom signed that works if Danforth goes down. Except you now have 4 guys competing for 2 spots of ice time each game. I would think two or three guys are better served being in Cleveland.

Bottom line is Nyquist has to go. I agree and have been saying that from the jump. That still needs at least one guy to Cleveland or 2 in the press box every night. Other teams develop guys in the A; why can't the Jackets?

Bemstrom would be a fine candidate to sit in the box, take your pick on the other…if you want to send a young guy to Cleveland and stick someone like Olivier in the box, that would save a whopping $175k

Also, what’s wrong with Laine at 8.5? You think he gets more, less? Say he makes 9 (which I think has 1% chance of happening) my cap scenario still works.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

Not just you. I think Gus is a fine player but out of the very limited options for salary dump he is the most logical conclusion. Jake is slightly more impactful and his contract would be very hard to move. It's just business and this team is going for the cup in the near future so things like these have to happen at times.

Reactions: DJA

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
That’s a lot of words to say we’d still be over the cap, which was my original point, so thanks for agreeing with me I guess? Trading Bean and Bemstrom + signing another dman (while still signing Laine) isn’t feasible (which is what the original post was advocating. I’d suggest you go back and read it. )
Funny, you asked me to read you post and I'll ask you to read mine again... My response was to whether we could just move Bean and be Cap compliant and the answer is yes. It's not ideal and I agree with you that Nyquist makes the most sense but we aren't forced into something at the moment. Again, not ideal but certainly there is more flexibility than is presented in the current Cap number flying around. We have 27 contracts against that Cap figure before signing Laine (yes, and Bemstrom - who also is one that should be moved, thus not lose him for nothing).

Deep down I don't think we're looking at this differently but you seem to want to argue so I'm just trying to clarify to avoid that. Can it be done? Yes! Should it? not realistically and have any flexibility. As to sending the prospects down.... that's what camp is for and that's what GMs decide when handling assets. Sometimes a tough decision happens because they don't want to lose a player to waivers. They'll figure it out.

I'm at my word quota but appreciate the back and forth.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Bemstrom would be a fine candidate to sit in the box, take your pick on the other…if you want to send a young guy to Cleveland and stick someone like Olivier in the box, that would save a whopping $175k

Also, what’s wrong with Laine at 8.5? You think he gets more, less? Say he makes 9 (which I think has 1% chance of happening) my cap scenario still works.
I think Laine gets 9. To have Bemstrom sit in the box is pointless. He hasn't produced in 3 years he needs to either go to Cleveland to learn how to play better or be traded. Traded for something is better than waiving him and getting nothing if he is claimed. Trading Bean at this point would be silly. We can't for sure have 15 F's and I think Danforth adds more than a Bemstrom or Chinakhov. Of course if he is waived and is claimed I think my hope for another good draft pick may come to fruition.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I too remember how Moore, Erixon, and Russell were enough and that Savard's stagnation meant he had to go.

Would you actually do something different with Bemstrom? We don't have ice time for him to develop so I think time is up and we should take a pick for him.

Reactions: Xoggz22

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd send Chinakhov to Cleveland and have Bemstrom getting that ice time instead.

I'd send Chinakhov down regardless. But by my accounting that's enough to maybe move Bemstrom up to 13th or so on the depth chart. Not enough. Maybe give me your full forward roster so I can see what you mean.

Reactions: thebus88 and MAHJ71

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I wouldn’t be surprised if Bemstrom puts together a decent career eventually. I just have a hard time seeing him finding great success in Columbus given the roster makeup and phase of the team. I like him, but I wouldn’t be too terribly disappointed if he was one that had to go in the numbers game. I would hope that he could return something of value (if not alone, then in a package), and in general I’m against dumping anything as a pure dump right now.

Which teams actually need wings still?

Top 6 - Nyquist, Laine, Voracek, Bjorkstrand
Young players with some experience - Texier, Chinakhov, Bemstrom, Foudy
Prospects (A-B+) - Marchenko, Johnson, Voronkov
Depth - Robinson, Danforth, Luoto, Olivier, Gaunce

We might have one too many in each category still. No matter how you want to classify each player or who I forgot, it’s still a handful of players too many, and some of them are very valuable pieces that could be used to address other needs.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'd send Chinakhov down regardless. But by my accounting that's enough to maybe move Bemstrom up to 13th or so on the depth chart. Not enough. Maybe give me your full forward roster so I can see what you mean.
Gaudreau-Jenner-Laine
Bjorkstrand-Sillinger-Voracek
Johnson-Roslovic-Texier
Robinson-Kuraly-Bemstrom

I'm assuming Nyquist is a cap casualty.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Chinakhov really looked like he could use some time to develop and find his offensive mojo against easier competition. The offense just wasn't there and for a depth player there's a bunch of better options. What I've liked about Bemström is he usually seems to contribute. He could be a good bottom-6 forward who also has some offense. But if Johnson and Marchenko play in the NHL, not sure where that leaves Bemström and frankly I have no idea how to rank Bemström, Danforth, Foudy, Robinson etc... I guess I've liked Danforth and Bemström most, but that's just a "feeling" or and impression they've left, more than based on watching them and focusing on their game.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Any way we look at this, a player or few are going to be moved that will sting a little. I know I've put hypothetical trades with players that will hurt. I'm not asking to move them but I absolutely feel some of these players will move.

I actually like Bean, Bemstrom, Nyquist, Bjorkstrand, Foudy, Voracek... but at some level each feels like there is a chance they could go. Not because they suck but for various reasons. I think the options are actually larger than those. We have desirable young players and reasonably priced vets, aside from Voracek, that teams will want. Very interesting with this team. I don't recall being in such a position with the young talent and Cap impact in our history.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Gaudreau-Jenner-Laine
Bjorkstrand-Sillinger-Voracek
Johnson-Roslovic-Texier
Robinson-Kuraly-Bemstrom

I'm assuming Nyquist is a cap casualty.

Given the lack of...jam (or whatever you want to call it) in the top 9, I expect Danforth and Olivier to play a bunch on that 4RW spot.

Maybe flip Texier to 3LW and you've got Bemstrom competing with Marchenko and Chinakhov.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
The reasons I’m willing to dump him are
1. We have a glut of players that need ice time
2. While his skills are unique (and they are), I’m not convinced it is what the team needs
3. He can actually return something of value
4. Adding to #3 that would possibly allow us to phase the next wave in better (a player on an ELC or bridge as our next wave gets raises)

It’s exactly the 2 way play why I value Blankenburg higher. The funny thing is I halfway expect to see Bean next to Werenski again.

@majormajor it’s you me and Bus plus some others I think

No you can't dump defenders, there is no change for postseason run if you do so. Only option is one of the wingers

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Again the quicker they can do it the better, don’t care about the return.

If they drag this out this will end up Columbus having to pay to get rid of contract.

There’s so many teams looking to get out of contracts with so little teams with cap space

Last edited:

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Even if you feel like Boqvist isnt a long-term piece, now is not the time to move him. Give him good ice time, and move him after a he breaks out. If you trade him now the return will be very disappointing.

Personally I just dont want to trade him. I'd consider it if in two years Mateychuk comes to the league and blows the roof off. But that's a big if

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad