Post-Game Talk: Who is this team? 2006 called, they want their Oilers back...

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Seems like something about Pulju really gets guys riled up. Maybe he's a great trash talker and we can't hear it.

I've noticed this, too. I think it's a combination of trying to intimidate the new kid and anger at his walking away from his team. Probably a lot of bottom 6 guys in the league resent the hell out of him for that, since he walked away from a position they battle tooth and nail for every day. Hell, I'd hate his guts.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I know it’s early but I feel pretty good the Oilers being a top 4 team in this division

True but it’s getting less and less early than every game. They’re past the ‘American Thanksgiving’ part of the season
Dropthegloves has been f***in invisible since the boys have gone 10-2. But you can guarantee he’ll be posting in the fire Holland thread at the very first loss. That thread needs to be closed, it’s embarrassing.

And he’ll have the ignore button fired up for the posters rightfully mock him for it :help::laugh:

Reactions: TB12

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Nuge and his agent hopefully will acknowledge the realization that the team (and the league) are in a tough spot with the cap flatlining, and possibly for another year or 2, and adjust their expectations accordingly. It's too bad for him that his contract expires at such a downtime, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. He'll still do okay.

It's a bit of an aside but wrt salary caps the story yesterday (as it was 3 months ago) was that the NFL is looking to reduce their cap by at least $20M per team.

With 75% of NHL revenues coming from game day tickets, concessions & merch its only a matter of time before this also becomes a serious issue.

I'm sure the Nuge won't have to sell his house though.

The article below is a good read and some of what is discussed here will come the NHL's way as well.

2021 NFL salary cap conundrum: Three major consequences of projected decrease

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Dropthegloves has been f***in invisible since the boys have gone 10-2. But you can guarantee he’ll be posting in the fire Holland thread at the very first loss. That thread needs to be closed, it’s embarrassing.
I'm sort of confused by this too though. Unless someone is just an outright troll and doesnt actually like the team, why not hang around to enjoy the positivity and success the team is currently seeing? We all say off things sometimes. Is it really that hard to just swallow your pride a tiny bit and have some fun with the way things are going? Especially if he really is an Oilers fan? Seems strange to only want to hang out when the team is losing and everyone is miserable.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Nice for Nuge to bolt into the Roussel Pulju altercation like he did. This would seem indication of Nuge wanting to further his identity here within the team. If I had to guess Nuge really wants to remain here. Be a part of whats growing here. Consistent with that I hope he takes a hometown discount. He's been paid well throughout his career and some years in past contract he was probably overpaid.

Yep. He’s certainly not old, but he’s our longest tenured player, and he’s basically always worn a letter, and played a solid 200 ft game. I think he’s really embraced being the “veteran” on the team.

Nuge and his agent hopefully will acknowledge the realization that the team (and the league) are in a tough spot with the cap flatlining, and possibly for another year or 2, and adjust their expectations accordingly. It's too bad for him that his contract expires at such a downtime, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. He'll still do okay.

Even a smaller contract from Covid will likely have him over 100 million in career earnings by the time he retires. We need to sell him on being a Western Canadian kid playing his entire career for a single team in Western Canada, and likely being the all times games played leader for said franchise when he retires, as well as having the 2 best players in the world on his team. If he signs for 6-6.5 instead of the 7.5-8 he would have gotten, that’s a huge win for us

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Speaking of... where did that Oiler fan that switched to the Canucks go? He sure was cocky earlier this season.
Wtf. We have one of those??

cheering for two teams like I do with Sens and Oilers sure. But switching all together. What the hell

If we had to play ottAwa in the playoffs...... I don’t know..... I JUST DON’T KNOW :confused::confused::eek::eek:

THANK GOD, that likely won’t happen

Reactions: GOilers88

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Man I was hoping we'd get to see the team of Jan/Feb last year and they seem to be back.
I hope this is the norm and not the exception. :pray

Top two lines are the foundation of the team no doubt.
I feel the defense is just going to get better as the year goes on. and Improve into next year as well.
Bottom six lines are doing good but are fragile (injury to Haas or Khaira returning to old Khaira etc.)
Goaltending I just can't trust. Nice to see them playing well. If Koskinen gets rested we may be ok.. what happens in the playoffs I've no idea. Likely to be our Achilles. Number one thing that needs to be addressed when possible.. likely the off season.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Wtf. We have one of those??

cheering for two teams like I do with Sens and Oilers sure. But switching all together. What the hell

If we had to play ottAwa in the playoffs...... I don’t know..... I JUST DON’T KNOW :confused::confused::eek::eek:

THANK GOD, that likely won’t happen
I believe so haha he was swinging his horn around when the Canucks beat the Oilers early on in the season.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Apparently round 2 game 7 is how far a bad team can go with horseshoe type goaltending

To be fair I think they were a better team last year after the deadline. Holtby hasn’t been as huge of a downgrade as many like to think and the Schmidt gift made the loss of Tanev a lot easier but they did lose a couple of decent support guys in Stetcher and Toffoli who also wanted to re-sign (apparently) along with Tanev and Markstrom.

I think that had an effect on the room. They definitely overachieved like crazy though (though St Louis wasn’t good, seemed disjointed maybe because of the impending Piet situation). They were on pace to miss the playoffs before the season shut down with Markstrom out and I think they might have.

Edit: I know more about the Canucks than I really need to for reasons stated in the PGT :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: McClelland

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Lol and fans thought he was a 4th liner at best
Interesting, because it was only a short while ago, that some people on here wanted to string him up.:D Wasn't a whole lot of chirping then. Now, he's had a two goal game and some people can't wait to come on here and puff their chest out. :D He's struggled this year, no doubt, and likely should have spent some time on another line far earlier. I still think he is a bottom 6 option for the most part, and spot duty on one of the top 2 lines.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hard not to appreciate Kahun.

He is one of those middle forwards this team has lacked for a long time. In other words, a guy who can actually play.

The skill level of guys like Kahun, Archibald, Ennis, its better than most of what we used to get. These are useful players, properly used, with Archie, more versatile.

But I don't know how it is that people don't spot some skill in these guys. These are options that can move around the lineup. These players will all do better with some of the pressure lifted off. The Oilers are transitioning from must win every night to normalistic pressure in that they have some comfort room now. A little less tight gripping of sticks and such will occur. Our depth is getting untracked.

Have to give moderate skill players some time to click in. Improvement will occur.

Kahun has quietly put together a string of 4G 3A 7pts in his last dozen GP. Curiously Yama has 2G 2A in same time frame on same line. But the chorus of posts you see is that Kahun is garbage that should be waived, and Yama is a solid topsix player. Kahun could be around a .500ppg player on a good line. EV wise thats better than most options we have. Kahun 5th btw way in team pts by forwards, tied with Puljujarvi.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Interesting, because it was only a short while ago, that some people on here wanted to string him up.:D Wasn't a whole lot of chirping then. Now, he's had a two goal game and some people can't wait to come on here and puff their chest out. :D He's struggled this year, no doubt, and likely should have spent some time on another line far earlier. I still think he is a bottom 6 option for the most part, and spot duty on one of the top 2 lines.

Not sure I agree here. Kahun has 1 more EV pt than Nuge has in far less minutes, a stat line that should raise some eyebrows. Especially since Nuge is playing on the star packed first line. Kahun only 2 less pts than Yama, who has also seen more minutes. 2 of Yamas pts were on own goals. So virtually no difference except some puck luck.

just saying that some knives came out early on Kahun and part of the reason probably being past memories of Rieder here.

Kahun is no ace. But he's somebody capable of notching 20 goals on a good second line. Trouble is the second line doesn't have 2 stars on it. Kahun or Yama, are fine as thirds on a line. Its a lot to ask either to be solid seconds. its beyond them both.

Pulju is a better player than Yama already, and more that he brings to a Drai line in terms of physicality and more skill on the puck and puck movement and possession.

The pairings that could be tried are McD-Nuge Drai-Pulju. This balances things out more and makes for more nights where we have 2 lines going. Gets more out of all the players. Whoever are thirds on those lines don't matter as much as pairs can carry a line. But you have to at least have a strong pair in a topsix line.

Reactions: Kofi Annan

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Dr.Drai’s Bet Against the Oilers (Always a $5 bet):

-$39.81 (Oilers 10-2)

After 3-0 I started to count my potential winning of $10 and change, unfortunately I won’t be eating a drive thru breakfast tomorrow morning but I will be laughing at all the Canuck fans at work.
Start a go-fund-me page if things get bad. I will slide you a few bucks. :)

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Dontcha know Smith was terrible in the flamers locker room. All that pride and desire to win has no place there.

Smith and little Sammy Bennett were the only ones that showed up that playoffs. Neal also didn't fit in there. None of this is surprising because they embrace a loser rat mentality that's rubbing off on Bennett (edit: he also sucks so there's that)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad