Post-Game Talk: Who is this team? 2006 called, they want their Oilers back...

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
the % of people who suck on these boards is up substantially. I would rather the forum be filled with THE WARRIOR's clones. He was kinda funny. This post may be against the rules, string me up if so. No quarter.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Start a go-fund-me page if things get bad. I will slide you a few bucks. :)
The worst case scenario for the regular season is ~$240 lost, that would be undefeated, that would be money well spent, because as we all know the team isn’t getting better it’s just that the world doesn’t want me to get ahead and the alternative is the Oilers going on a big streak.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Hate both of them, but I really don't consider the Flames a problem anymore. I think we can push them back even more hen we play them again. And Rittich is the only thing keeping them in these games, and we all know that is not sustainable. We need to have the gap closed on the Leafs, and the Flames can help draw them back into us. So for me, it's the least of the 2 evils. I want us to finish on top.
Agreed. But I don't want to see this in ot.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
What I loved about the '06 team, they had a line they could put out with a 1 goal lead in the last minute, and you were confident they'd shut it down. Peca, Moreau, Dvo with Pronger and Gator on the back end. With this team, we don't have that...but what we do have is the ability to score 3 goals in a period.

What I would do to inject playoffs 2006 Peca into the current Oilers lineup. Would be a perfect compliment to this lineup.

In my head I keep thinking scoring LW, top4 left shot D rental and goalie should be on Holland's shopping list at the deadline/off season, but the more I think about it a rock solid 3rd line C might be more valuable than any of those 3 positions other than goalie. Having a really reliable 3rd line C would take some burden off McDavid and Leon and would give us a match up advantage.

RNH - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Kahun - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Ennis - Solid 3C - Archibald
Neal - Khaira/Haas - Kassian
*Chaisson, Haas/Khaira

That good 3C balances the bottom 6 in a hurry.

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
Hate both of them, but I really don't consider the Flames a problem anymore. I think we can push them back even more hen we play them again. And Rittich is the only thing keeping them in these games, and we all know that is not sustainable. We need to have the gap closed on the Leafs, and the Flames can help draw them back into us. So for me, it's the least of the 2 evils. I want us to finish on top.
Habs are looking like a team that could miss!

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
What I would do to inject playoffs 2006 Peca into the current Oilers lineup. Would be a perfect compliment to this lineup.

In my head I keep thinking scoring LW, top4 left shot D rental and goalie should be on Holland's shopping list at the deadline/off season, but the more I think about it a rock solid 3rd line C might be more valuable than any of those 3 positions other than goalie. Having a really reliable 3rd line C would take some burden off McDavid and Leon and would give us a match up advantage.

RNH - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Kahun - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Ennis - Solid 3C - Archibald
Neal - Khaira/Haas - Kassian
*Chaisson, Haas/Khaira

That good 3C balances the bottom 6 in a hurry.
I remember our last game against Vancouver in 2006. We were up and Mac T had us trapping them lol.

The main play I remember, and it is somewhere on YT, is Kesler driving our net Anderson style. Peca is coming from the opposite side like a missile and just destroys him just when he got to the net.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Not quite. They had a good first 3 games then Smyth got hurt IIRC and then they were bad for a bit and people were not happy with Pronger. Then they started to get traction and were pretty good going into Christmas but it was obvious goaltending was an issue.

They stayed in the hunt for playoffs though and then got Roloson + Samsonov at the deadline, but still had a bit of an adjustment period, but started to get it together by the end of the regular season.

So up and down pretty much all year until playoffs. Then Roloson, Pronger, Pisani went to another level.
Credit Lowe for the good work as a GM that year.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I remember our last game against Vancouver in 2006. We were up and Mac T had us trapping them lol.

The main play I remember, and it is somewhere on YT, is Kesler driving our net Anderson style. Peca is coming from the opposite side like a missile and just destroys him just when he got to the net.
Bieksa showed it on HNIC last season, and I made sure to gif it.

YqeHVag.gif

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
That was the play. I have had that etched in my memory for 15 years. Another one, and I am going way off tangent, that game against Phoenix. Pronger scores off of the faceoff to tie or win the game with like 1.x seconds left.

I knew that game that our team was going places. TOPPEP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad