Post-Game Talk: Who is this team? 2006 called, they want their Oilers back...

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Looks like another beauty game for Bouch? ( I fell asleep before the game started. Stupid work at 6 AM. :()

He's leading the team in even strength shots since he was called up. Pretty wild.

If it wasn't for McDavid at #3, Bouch, Barrie and Nurse would be the top 3 on the team in those 10 games.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Leon does some of his best work below the circles.

He was back there again, which is good, because he was a bit too passive as the high guy on that line.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
The skill level of guys like Kahun, Archibald, Ennis, its better than most of what we used to get. These are useful players, properly used, with Archie, more versatile.

But I don't know how it is that people don't spot some skill in these guys. These are options that can move around the lineup. These players will all do better with some of the pressure lifted off. The Oilers are transitioning from must win every night to normalistic pressure in that they have some comfort room now. A little less tight gripping of sticks and such will occur. Our depth is getting untracked.

Have to give moderate skill players some time to click in. Improvement will occur.

Kahun has quietly put together a string of 4G 3A 7pts in his last dozen GP. Curiously Yama has 2G 2A in same time frame on same line. But the chorus of posts you see is that Kahun is garbage that should be waived, and Yama is a solid topsix player. Kahun could be around a .500ppg player on a good line. EV wise thats better than most options we have. Kahun 5th btw way in team pts by forwards, tied with Puljujarvi.

No need to hate on Yamamoto dude I really don't have any clue why you don't like him? It's bizarre. He brings more to the table then just points. He's a good forechecker like Kahun. He is tenacious like Kahun. He creates turnovers and creates plays like Kahun. He penalty kills. He has chemistry with Draisaitl like Kahun.

Why hate on him?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Interesting, because it was only a short while ago, that some people on here wanted to string him up.:D Wasn't a whole lot of chirping then. Now, he's had a two goal game and some people can't wait to come on here and puff their chest out. :D He's struggled this year, no doubt, and likely should have spent some time on another line far earlier. I still think he is a bottom 6 option for the most part, and spot duty on one of the top 2 lines.
He does have 7 points in his last 12 but I agree he's still figuring out his game. Hopefully these 2 goals get him some confidence

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
No need to hate on Yamamoto dude I really don't have any clue why you don't like him? It's bizarre. He brings more to the table then just points. He's a good forechecker like Kahun. He is tenacious like Kahun. He creates turnovers and creates plays like Kahun. He penalty kills. He has chemistry with Draisaitl like Kahun.

Why hate on him?

Yamamoto's been snake-bitten for some time btw, he's been playing better than a 0.5 ppg player.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
2006 team was kinda mediocre until tdl and rolly got hot, no? and in the playoffs pronger destroyed everyone.

Not quite. They had a good first 3 games then Smyth got hurt IIRC and then they were bad for a bit and people were not happy with Pronger. Then they started to get traction and were pretty good going into Christmas but it was obvious goaltending was an issue.

They stayed in the hunt for playoffs though and then got Roloson + Samsonov at the deadline, but still had a bit of an adjustment period, but started to get it together by the end of the regular season.

So up and down pretty much all year until playoffs. Then Roloson, Pronger, Pisani went to another level.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not quite. They had a good first 3 games then Smyth got hurt IIRC and then they were bad for a bit and people were not happy with Pronger. Then they started to get traction and were pretty good going into Christmas but it was obvious goaltending was an issue.

They stayed in the hunt for playoffs though and then got Roloson + Samsonov at the deadline, but still had a bit of an adjustment period, but started to get it together by the end of the regular season.

So up and down pretty much all year until playoffs. Then Roloson, Pronger, Pisani went to another level.
And if I remember correctly, Vancouver shit the bed the last weekend and that allowed us to sneak in as the 8th seed.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

You're right, I want to say they started 2-7, with the 7 losses coming all in a row. Pronger had some kind of foot/ankle injury that came to a head during the Olympics, but fixed itself after.

The routine that season was to badly outshoot and outplay pretty much every team that they played only to lose 4-3 off the back of awful goaltending. I actually distinctly remember being piled on new years eve 2005 and telling my friends that the Oilers can make a run if they find goaltending, which obviously got laughed away at the time.

Anyone remember when MacT thought he had a shootout goaltending ace in Mike Morrison and threw him in for the shootout specifically only to lose the game and have Ty Conklin flip out?

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
You're right, I want to say they started 2-7, with the 7 losses coming all in a row. Pronger had some kind of foot/ankle injury that came to a head during the Olympics, but fixed itself after.

The routine that season was to badly outshoot and outplay pretty much every team that they played only to lose 4-3 off the back of awful goaltending. I actually distinctly remember being piled on new years eve 2005 and telling my friends that the Oilers can make a run if they find goaltending, which obviously got laughed away at the time.

Anyone remember when MacT thought he had a shootout goaltending ace in Mike Morrison and threw him in for the shootout specifically only to lose the game and have Ty Conklin flip out?
Ya Conklin threw his helmet lol. Morisson went on a little heater. I remember when we got Rollie. Didn't look great the first 3 or so games. People were just going nuts on the radio angry that we gave up a 1st round pick. The radio guys warmed us up and Mac T did the day before saying sometimes you need to get rid of a 1st for a good goalie. Think he had a 0.920 on Minny.

Look at Markannen's size. Man he looked so small. Goalies these days look like the state puff marshmallow man. They really should make some small changes again.

I was telling anybody who would listen that year that we were going far with a good goalie. You could see it. Barely allowed 20 shots a game and we had lots of fight. Came back a bunch of times. Pronger made MAB look like a decent dman lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Why hate on him?

Why is it hate with you? Yama with Drai is a mismatch as I see it. Last night in the first period alone Yama gave up the puck 6 times in the offensive zone. On another play at the line he made an inane pass when he could have just skated into the zone. His zone entries, with complete puck control this season are low. He's struggling with his puck control and offensive zone play.

I said already i don't think either Kahun or Yama are good enough to be a 2nd on a topsix line. They are both good enough to be thirds. Thats just the reality. Both are useful players.

But with a really small player I expect elite ability with the puck to compensate for size. yama doesn't have that, and the energizer aspect, I don't know how long he can bring that and eat punishment either.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
And if I remember correctly, Vancouver shit the bed the last weekend and that allowed us to sneak in as the 8th seed.

Playoff spot was clinched before the final weekend of the season. Hemsky scored the game winner late in a game against the Ducks and then the Sharks beat the Canucks later that night to clinch for the Oilers.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
They can't defend. They are just an awful team in own zone. Pressure them there and its constant giveaways.

I mean its blood in water when teams Circle Nucks in own zone. Nucks can score some goals but not enough to make up their abysmal play in own zone.

Man does that not sound like the way we used to be...and not too long ago

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Threads on the mains today:

- Montreal fires coaches
- Dysfunction in Calgary
- What’s wrong with Vancouver?
- Buffalo problems (multiple threads)
- Laf being a bust

Not a single negative thing about the Oilers.

You love to see it. Finally.

Laf is being labelled a bust?

He should play in Finland for a season and come back raring to go.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Had a number of drinks so can't figure this out... Do we want the leafs or the flames to win tonight??

I can never root for the flames no matter the circumstances

Reactions: BlackDogg

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Well that was a lot of fun to watch. I really wanted the win in that one. Glad they pulled it out, especially for Smith who struggled early. If the oilers didn't score one late in the first (and actually start playing) koskinen probably would have started the 2nd. Glad they stuck it out with Smith.

Draisaitl is just such a good player. Even when he's not playing his best hockey, he's still unstoppable. That pass on the PP... Just wow.

Loved seeing Nuge jump roussel after that garbage on JP. Not sure how that was only a 2 minute penalty though since roussel dropped his gloves. Should have been a major. And wasn't there a penalty already being called?

Love this team. This team makes me happy. Khaira bumping Ennis on the bench after the gwg... A thing of beauty. They are all playing for each other.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Had a number of drinks so can't figure this out... Do we want the leafs or the flames to win tonight??

I can never root for the flames no matter the circumstances
Hate both of them, but I really don't consider the Flames a problem anymore. I think we can push them back even more hen we play them again. And Rittich is the only thing keeping them in these games, and we all know that is not sustainable. We need to have the gap closed on the Leafs, and the Flames can help draw them back into us. So for me, it's the least of the 2 evils. I want us to finish on top.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton
Ya Conklin threw his helmet lol. Morisson went on a little heater. I remember when we got Rollie. Didn't look great the first 3 or so games. People were just going nuts on the radio angry that we gave up a 1st round pick. The radio guys warmed us up and Mac T did the day before saying sometimes you need to get rid of a 1st for a good goalie. Think he had a 0.920 on Minny.

Look at Markannen's size. Man he looked so small. Goalies these days look like the state puff marshmallow man. They really should make some small changes again.

I was telling anybody who would listen that year that we were going far with a good goalie. You could see it. Barely allowed 20 shots a game and we had lots of fight. Came back a bunch of times. Pronger made MAB look like a decent dman lol.

What I loved about the '06 team, they had a line they could put out with a 1 goal lead in the last minute, and you were confident they'd shut it down. Peca, Moreau, Dvo with Pronger and Gator on the back end. With this team, we don't have that...but what we do have is the ability to score 3 goals in a period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad