Who is the one player (realistically) you would add this summer

Who would be number acquisition

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Right, and that pretty much illustrates the need for better depth at center. Gotta get an improvement over Filppula. 33 points in 81 games isn't enough for a top 3 center on this team.

I would not move Giroux back to center, though. He's far more effective on the wing at this stage, takes a lot less punishment, and doesn't have to deal with the hard defensive responsibilities against great players. He's perfect with Couturier and I wouldn't break up a combo that just had two career years together.

33 points from Filp would have been fine if he had been even average from a possession standpoint. It's not even that he's terrible defensively -- he actually doesn't make a ton of mistakes in the defensive zone -- it's that the other team always has the puck when he's on the ice.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
33 points from Filp would have been fine if he had been even average from a possession standpoint. It's not even that he's terrible defensively -- he actually doesn't make a ton of mistakes in the defensive zone -- it's that the other team always has the puck when he's on the ice.
I think you're missing the forest for the trees. What good is possession if you don't do anything with it? If that's more important than points, just sit on the puck your whole shift.

Anyway, I don't think 33 points is good enough for a top 2/3 center when the other 2/3 center scores 30. 63 points combined isn't even close to cutting it. Ideally, your 2C gets around 63 himself.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think you're missing the forest for the trees. What good is possession if you don't do anything with it? If that's more important than points, just sit on the puck your whole shift.

Anyway, I don't think 33 points is good enough for a top 2/3 center when the other 2/3 center scores 30. 63 points combined isn't even close to cutting it. Ideally, your 2C gets around 63 himself.
Yeah...ideally. Yet there were only 30 C that got 63 points last year.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

Sitting on the puck your whole shift is very much what the old Soviet teams used to do, and the Red Wings' Russian 5 used a similar strategy to spectacular results. Actually maintaining possession of the puck is a lot easier said than done.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
100%, unequivocally, incorrect. Just because I don't expect every prospect to work out doesn't mean I think they all suck. It's means unlike you I am a realist and understand that a successful team can't be comprised of prospects alone.

Also, that article you linked was a total puff piece.

So Hextall exercised patience by letting players like Morin, Sanheim, Lindblom, Myers and NAK marinate, and you think he should just abandon all that cuz we made the playoffs barely and have some extra cap?

I mean, that's brilliant!! Why develop players at all?

seems like anything contradicting your opinion is a "puff piece" lol

Team just made the playoffs with 3 players on the active roster (Sanheim, Patrick and Lindblom) all about to be significantly better. What you fail to realize...is that they ARE the help

Blowing the wad this year in delusions of becoming a contender is premature imo. Way tooo many pieces we have been cultivating just to abandon ship and tank their value

You strike me as the kind of person who would win a million dollars and be broke a year lateer

Last edited:
Reactions: magnumpi

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Yeah...ideally. Yet there were only 30 C that got 63 points last year.
Well, the goal isn't to be an average team, right? And if you want to get out of the East, like it seems everyone does, you're going to need to be a lot better than average. You still have to go through Pittsburgh (Crosby/Malkin), Washington (Backstrom/Kuznetsov), and Tampa (Stamkos/Point). Plus Toronto (Matthews/Nylander/Kadri).

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Sitting on the puck your whole shift is very much what the old Soviet teams used to do, and the Red Wings' Russian 5 used a similar strategy to spectacular results. Actually maintaining possession of the puck is a lot easier said than done.
Except, unlike last season's Filppula, they could score. You're kind of glossing over that little aspect.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
So Hextall exercised patience by letting players like Morin, Sanheim, Lindblom, Myers and NAK marinate, and you think he should just abandon all that cuz we made the playoffs barely and have some extra cap?
Sanheim and Lindblom are the only two who even look like NHL players RIGHT NOW. The others might be, they might not. You just don't wait around hoping every prospect works out at the expense of improving the team if opportunities arise.

I mean, that's brilliant!! Why develop players at all?
When you start to realize that not every prospect is going to work out, nor would a GM operate under those unrealistic set of circumstances then maybe you will be capable of having an actual discussion at the big boy table.

seems like anything contradicting your opinion is a "puff piece" lol
Preaching patience when Hextall has been the GM for FOUR years and the team can't even win a playoff round is a clear puff piece. At least the expansion team didn't win a playoff round this year...oh wait....nut at least they aren't one win away from the cup finals....ah, never mind.

Team just made the playoffs with 3 players on the active roster (Sanheim, Patrick and Lindblom) all about to be significantly better. What you fail to realize...is that they ARE the help If they are the help this team is screwed.
even IF Sanheim is a top four defenseman this coming year they still need another top four D, a goalie upgrade, a LW, a C, etc etc. Bottom line this team has more hills than some prospects can fill and with cap dollars and assets (two first round picks) they would be dumb not to add two or three veterans.

Blowing the wad this year in delusions of becoming a contender is premature imo. Way tooo many pieces we have been cultivating just to abandon ship and tank their value
And this is where you prove what a blow hard you are. Nobody is saying they should blow their wad and abandon all of their prospects.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You’re not going to have a center with 60 points unless he’s on PP1. We have 1 center on PP1.

If you replace Simmonds with Patrick on PP1, he has a not unrealistic chance at 60 points.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Also, concerning that 2nd half split for Patrick:

Patrick 5v5 (after January 1st).........1.6 points/60, 53.3 CF%, 58.3 GF%, 52 SCF%, 57 HDCF% in 12.4 minutes/game

That looks like the profile of a 2C in the making. Obviously, you'd hope for a points/60 approaching 2.0. And wouldn't you know, over the final 25 games, he was north of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbythebrain

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
People who dont understand the need for a center probably suck at life. Good teams have three good centers. This isnt the 90's where teams had two scoring lines, a checkling line, and a fourth line with enforcers/pests. You look at the best teams in the league and the vast majority of them have three lines capable of scoring. It doesnt matter what so ever if Patrick is on the "second line" or the "third line."
For someone who gets so salty when people misrepresent his words, you sure do like to do it a lot.

There's a massive gap between not wanting to add a center vs not wanting to add a center in a horrifically idiotic trade.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Sanheim and Lindblom are the only two who even look like NHL players RIGHT NOW. The others might be, they might not. You just don't wait around hoping every prospect works out at the expense of improving the team if opportunities arise.

WPG did

When you start to realize that not every prospect is going to work out, nor would a GM operate under those unrealistic set of circumstances then maybe you will be capable of having an actual discussion at the big boy table.

And you have no clue they won't Nostradamus. That's why waiting another year is the smart play. Are you sure your real name isn't Peter Chiarelli?

Preaching patience when Hextall has been the GM for FOUR years and the team can't even win a playoff round is a clear puff piece. At least the expansion team didn't win a playoff round this year...oh wait....nut at least they aren't one win away from the cup finals....ah, never mind.

Yes. Let's completely omit the narrative that Hexy spent 2 years cleaning up a huge mess and is regarded by many experts as a great GM for doing so and drafting exceptionally.

even IF Sanheim is a top four defenseman this coming year they still need another top four D, a goalie upgrade, a LW, a C, etc etc. Bottom line this team has more hills than some prospects can fill and with cap dollars and assets (two first round picks) they would be dumb not to add two or three veterans.

I have no probs adding some cheap vets. A 3rd line C is much needed. But you spout off players like Myers as a saving grace for next year. That would cost considerable asset to a team not ready to contend. Then what? Let him walk cuz most likely Myers 2.0 is ready. Look at your list, all players who will require healthy contracts, will require NMC's with an expansion looming, or will take great value to aquire

And this is where you prove what a blow hard you are. Nobody is saying they should blow their wad and abandon all of their prospects.

You are. Look at your list? Everyone of those players as stated above, require shoving a prospect outta the way. The one year guys are ok i guess, but there goes an asset just to win a playoff round

I have no probs finding some cheaper options till Hart, Myers, and Frost step in. Finding a 30-40 point 3 C would be gravy. Signing Stasny to an expensive 4 year deal....ludicrous. Trading a 1st for 1 year of T. Myers...outta the question. Signing Carlson only to trade Myers for cheap cuz it's inevitable. Spending a boat load for Hamilton.

And ps: We have GHOST as our #1 pp guy. We have Sanheim on the bubble also. And Provy. Why sign Carlson?...for his defensive prowes???

Carlson, Hamilton, Tavares, Skinner...lol. "Nobody is saying blow a wad" What planet are these guys cheap???

Last edited:
Reactions: Striiker

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
In which of the last 4 years should the team have won a playoff series?

When was that a reasonable expectation?

Never! But I fully expect them to win 1, 2, 3 or cup when

-Patrick is an 80 point player
-Provorov is a Norris candidate
-Frost is a top 6 player
-Hart is playing like Carey Price
-The D is like Nashville-esque with Provy, Ghost, Sanheim and Myers
-Linblom is a 50 point possession monster

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Also, concerning that 2nd half split for Patrick:

Patrick 5v5 (after January 1st).........1.6 points/60, 53.3 CF%, 58.3 GF%, 52 SCF%, 57 HDCF% in 12.4 minutes/game

That looks like the profile of a 2C in the making. Obviously, you'd hope for a points/60 approaching 2.0. And wouldn't you know, over the final 25 games, he was north of that.

That was Patrick just getting his legs under him.
Still lacking the burst and upper body strength he should have next season, but showing the hands and instincts to be a special player.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation

-Frost is a top 6 player
Yep and all of those things will certainly happen. This is exactly why you and a small handful of others are impossible to talk to. You are under this odd delusion that all of the top prospects will not only work out but become elite players. I've got news for you, in the real world it doesnt work out that way.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

-Frost is a top 6 player
Careful, you're going to trigger him beyond the point of no return. :laugh:

And exactly, at no point should the expectation have ever been to compete when they were so obviously rebuilding and focusing on the future. The team had great players, but was always horribly flawed in important spots (like goaltending, for example). Which is why a comment like this...
Preaching patience when Hextall has been the GM for FOUR years and the team can't even win a playoff round
... is such a dumb complaint.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Bozak or Skinner, if he’s for sale. I don’t know how anybody thinks Tavares is actually realistic.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Yep and all of those things will certainly happen. This is exactly why you and a small handful of others are impossible to talk to. You are under this odd delusion that all of the top prospects will not only work out but become elite players. I've got news for you, in the real world it doesnt work out that way.

Like I said. You must be Peter Chiarelli

Patrick just looked better than Drai in his first year. Provy is looking like a legit shot at Norris 2 years in. Sanheim had exceptional underlying stats

The others..well, they are tracking exceptionally and are walking into the perfect storm talent, development and patience

In the real world, teams develop talent also. Wpg, Nash, Chi, Pit

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
No, a dumb comment would be any where mediocrity is not only accepted but encouraged. It shouldnt take half a decade to rebuild a team to the point where they can win one playoff round. If you want to be a naive dope and accept mediocrity dont get your panties all knotted up because I dont.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Careful, you're going to trigger him beyond the point of no return. :laugh:

And exactly, at no point should the expectation have ever been to compete when they were so obviously rebuilding and focusing on the future. The team had great players, but was always horribly flawed in important spots (like goaltending, for example). Which is why a comment like this...

... is such a dumb complaint.

Exactly. I see this year as a massive success that Lindblom, Patrick, Tk and Sanheim got to experience a playoff, while players like Hall, Ebs, Nuge and Schultz had to waste away years in a losing environment

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
No, a dumb comment would be any where mediocrity is not only accepted but encouraged. It shouldnt take half a decade to rebuild a team to the point where they can win one playoff round. If you want to be a naive dope and accept mediocrity dont get your panties all knotted up because I dont.

Again...do you not realize Hextall's situation the first 2 years? Are you seriously that clueless?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Like I said. You must be Peter Chiarelli

Patrick just looked better than Drai in his first year. Provy is looking like a legit shot at Norris 2 years in. Sanheim had exceptional underlying stats

The others..well, they are tracking exceptionally and are walking into the perfect storm talent, development and patience

In the real world, teams develop talent also. Wpg, Nash, Chi, Pit
If you have paid attention youd know I like Patrick a lot. Ptovorov is a given. Sanheim has shown potential at the NHL level. Nobody else has shown anything to suggest the Flyers should wait around for them and not upgrade the team. Fanfrickintastic the rest of the prospects are "tracking exceptionally" (not even close to 100% true by the way) it doesnt mean a thing until they prove themselves at the NHL level. Those four teams you mentioned didnt ONLY develope talent. They also traded for key players and signed free agents which is all I have ever suggested the Flyers do despite your lies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad