Who is the one player (realistically) you would add this summer

Who would be number acquisition

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Derek Ryan. Flyers should simply add a #3 center, not overpay for some premier UFA.

image.pngZ

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
People who dont understand the need for a center probably suck at life. Good teams have three good centers. This isnt the 90's where teams had two scoring lines, a checkling line, and a fourth line with enforcers/pests. You look at the best teams in the league and the vast majority of them have three lines capable of scoring. It doesnt matter what so ever if Patrick is on the "second line" or the "third line."

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
If you can acquire a Tavares you do it, because players like him don't become available very often and he changes the equation immediately. People talking about signing Stastny or trading for ROR intend for them to be elite 3Cs.
Flyers aren't signing Tavares. It's not even worth discussing.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
He was our second best forward after couts. Dude is money. However I fully expect him saddled by some useless fart like weise? Hak's school of hockey.
Patrick only had 2 more ES points than Filppula after Jan. 1.
I like the kid, but I think some fans need to pump the brakes on assuming he’ll be a Cup contending caliber 2C next season.
I’d feel way better with another C who has an offensive game as insurance. And if Patrick blows the doors off, great. That’s why I suggested Thornton, because he’ll be short term, plus can move to LW if Patrick proves he’s ready to be a horse of a 2C.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Patrick only had 2 more ES points than Filppula after Jan. 1.
I like the kid, but I think some fans need to pump the brakes on assuming he’ll be a Cup contending caliber 2C next season.
I’d feel way better with another C who has an offensive game as insurance. And if Patrick blows the doors off, great. That’s why I suggested Thornton, because he’ll be short term, plus can move to LW if Patrick proves he’s ready to be a horse of a 2C.
In the meantime Hischier had like 4th highest P1/60 in the league. However it doesn't mean he is twice the player. You can't get too hung up on numbers. Plus those ES point include empty netters I think

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The thing with Thornton is he wants a chance to win it all next year & wants to still stay on the west coast. So that very likely eliminates him from even considering the Flyers unless his mindset changes. Odds are he probably just ends up back in San Jose.

He makes a ton of sense for the Flyers but I don’t think the Flyers make much sense for him. The geography is what it is, nothing you can do there. But the Flyers realistically aren’t a cup contender next year either.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We haven't seen the real Patrick yet, the spring Patrick just hinted at what he will become.
He hasn't worked out for two off-seasons, that's when players build up strength and stamina and work on technique - Patrick spent those summers recuperating from surgery.
So he couldn't work on his legs, his core, his upper body strength, his skating technique, etc.
At an age when young players improve by leaps and bounds as they gain strength.

So my expectation is he'll come to camp at 6'2 210+ lbs, with more burst and explosion, more stamina and the strength to win puck battles along the boards and stand his ground in front of the net. Mark my words, he's gonna be a monster next year. He's a 1C talent at 2C.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
They got nothing from the 3rd and 4th lines and the PK killed them. I would rebuild those areas. Signing a top line guy doesn't improve those areas. Maybe if they would put them over the top but they aren't there yet. The worst thing they could do is overpay for a player and get stuck with a bad contract.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
The thing with Thornton is he wants a chance to win it all next year & wants to still stay on the west coast. So that very likely eliminates him from even considering the Flyers unless his mindset changes. Odds are he probably just ends up back in San Jose.

He makes a ton of sense for the Flyers but I don’t think the Flyers make much sense for him. The geography is what it is, nothing you can do there. But the Flyers realistically aren’t a cup contender next year either.
If San Jose signs Tavares, Thornton isn’t going back. I haven’t heard he wants to stay in the West, but it certainly could be true. And he very well may target a higher ranked team, if they have the room. Regardless, I think this team needs another offensive center. One of the four who are available — Tavares, Stastny, Bozak, & Thornton.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
People who dont understand the need for a center probably suck at life. Good teams have three good centers. This isnt the 90's where teams had two scoring lines, a checkling line, and a fourth line with enforcers/pests. You look at the best teams in the league and the vast majority of them have three lines capable of scoring. It doesnt matter what so ever if Patrick is on the "second line" or the "third line."

Pretty sure that Patrick was drafted to be the future #1 C of this franchise

I don't think it would bode well to pigeon hole him to the 3rd line

I'm sure Tavares would jump at the chance to sign in Pit if possible to be their 3rd best center:help:

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
In the meantime Hischier had like 4th highest P1/60 in the league. However it doesn't mean he is twice the player. You can't get too hung up on numbers. Plus those ES point include empty netters I think
I’d like to see Patrick prove it before the team completely relies on him to be a stud 2C. I certainly think he will be, but I still expect some ups & downs next year. I’d like to ensure the team gets at least 90 points from its 2 & 3 Cs.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I’d like to see Patrick prove it before the team completely relies on him to be a stud 2C. I certainly think he will be, but I still expect some ups & downs next year. I’d like to ensure the team gets at least 90 points from its 2 & 3 Cs.

Patrick looked alot better than Draisaitl did in his first year. This summer of healthy training will be a godsend.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Patrick looked alot better than Draisaitl did in his first year. This summer of healthy training will be a godsend.
Yes, but I’m still not ready to bank everything on Patrick having a Draisaitl-esque 2nd season. He might, but it’s sure no guarantee & won’t hurt to have insurance. I like having 3 centers with offensive skill, anyway.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Pretty sure that Patrick was drafted to be the future #1 C of this franchise

I don't think it would bode well to pigeon hole him to the 3rd line

I'm sure Tavares would jump at the chance to sign in Pit if possible to be their 3rd best center:help:
A. Your'e getting caught up in the imaginary idea of "second line center" and "third line center."

B. Even if Patrick is the "second line center" they need another guy, which is something everyone on the planet seems to recognize.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I'd play you over Derek Ryan.

ya I mean Ryan and Varone are both AHL lifers; Ryan got a shot in the bigs and Varone hasn't. If anything, Varone's AHL career is more impressive.

It's been 4 years and Hextall hasn't shown any ability to locate cheap (or even expensive) NHL talent that can fill in capably on the bottom 2 lines. They might as well aim for higher-priced guys who then push guys like Raffl/Lindblom even Patrick down in the lineup while also giving people like NAK/Vecchione/Vorobyev a shot.

To hell with, "We don't want Prospect X playing 8 minutes a night on the 4th line," better than Jori Lehtera should be enough to get them onto the NHL roster.

Reactions: The Madrigal

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But yet we relied on him to be a top 9 C with FLIP as the #2 this past year. I have way more confidence in Patrick next year compared to
Flip last year.

Regardless, we DO need in upgrade at C. Thru FA there are only a few options.

Funny how we have a very clear upgrade in house that we could use for 1 year to bridge to Frost. But will be on LW instead,

Since wingers are easier to find, try and find them and move G back to C for the year.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
A. Your'e getting caught up in the imaginary idea of "second line center" and "third line center."

B. Even if Patrick is the "second line center" they need another guy, which is something everyone on the planet seems to recognize.

A. You are getting caught up in telling everyone our prospects are not good enough and won't evolve, and should be relegated b/c management should put zero trust in them, especially after we just made made the post season

B. I admitted we need a 3rd line center

C. Some common sense

For Flyers, it's not a popularity contest — and it shouldn't be

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
But yet we relied on him to be a top 9 C with FLIP as the #2 this past year. I have way more confidence in Patrick next year compared to
Flip last year.

Regardless, we DO need in upgrade at C. Thru FA there are only a few options.

Funny how we have a very clear upgrade in house that we could use for 1 year to bridge to Frost. But will be on LW instead,

Since wingers are easier to find, try and find them and move G back to C for the year.

Right, and that pretty much illustrates the need for better depth at center. Gotta get an improvement over Filppula. 33 points in 81 games isn't enough for a top 3 center on this team.

I would not move Giroux back to center, though. He's far more effective on the wing at this stage, takes a lot less punishment, and doesn't have to deal with the hard defensive responsibilities against great players. He's perfect with Couturier and I wouldn't break up a combo that just had two career years together.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
A. You are getting caught up in telling everyone our prospects are not good enough and should be relegated b/c management should put zero trust in them
100%, unequivocally, incorrect. Just because I don't expect every prospect to work out doesn't mean I think they all suck. It's means unlike you I am a realist and understand that a successful team can't be comprised of prospects alone.

Also, that article you linked was a total puff piece.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00